DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

I didn’t - the parts with the League of Shadows were good but the fighting style wasn’t good overall IMO. I don’t think the martial arts expertise was apparent and it wasn’t vicious.

I always compared it to the alley fight scene in Watchmen - that was always how I imagine Batman to fight.

This one was good - and so was Batfleck when he fought the guys in the warehouse. That was a little more silly but still cool. This one seemed realistic - a guy with great skills and armor, a point to prove, nothing to lose, and just a ton of aggression.
I liked the chaotic style of fighting Batman used in Begins .

Dark knight and rises Made the fighting more methodical and stiff in my opinion . The parking deck scene in Rises was terrible, like a bad dance.

The only part I thought was weird was the appearance of the car.

The car was awesome and I loved how you saw it in the background or at the side from early on - and it makes a lot more sense than certainly 1989-Batman and Robin and probably even the Tumbler.

But when he got in it I don’t understand the false start and the revving the engine - it would have made more sense to me for Penguin to drive off and then for Batman to run round the corner to his hidden car and then roar after him.

Or am I missing something?

TDK being the consensus best movie seems like an apt comparison to make to any new film. Also the timelines are about the same, around year 2.

Back to this though I don't think it was a mistake that Batman didn't really stop ****, like that was one of the messages.

Loved it but still have TDK as #1. I probably have it over Begins, which was #2, but I'll see after the second viewing. Pattison did his thing. I'm interested to see how they develop his Bruce moving forward as he becomes less of a recluse. Dano, Zoe, and everyone else were good as well.

It didn't feel like 3 hours at all. The fire alarm went off at the theatre during the first crime scene so we had a built in break lol. We each got a free ticket to another showing as a result so that was plus. Even with that I thought the pacing was great.

Absolutely loved the intro with Bruce narrating his impact on the city.

Can't wait to catch it again.

TDK being the consensus best movie seems like an apt comparison to make to any new film. Also the timelines are about the same, around year 2.

Back to this though I don't think it was a mistake that Batman didn't really stop ****, like that was one of the messages.

having not watched the movie, think this is more closer to begins timeline or even before

he’s still trying figure out the whole thing and strike the Bruce/batman balance and what he wants to accomplish in the city and his role

again, I haven’t seen it, but I heard a great contrast is him rolling up and bossing around the police about the crime scene in the TDK whereas in this he isn’t sure what his role is supposed to be in that grouping and is whispering directly to Gordon

I haven’t been keeping up with this thread but I’m sure I echo the sentiments w/ everyone when I say I loved it. Saw it opening night during the Fan First screening and snagged a comic book. I have no gripes w/ the film at all.

I have The Batman #2 behind TDK which is cemented as the greatest Batman movie. However, I feel Reeves can make the quintessential Batman trilogy over Nolan’s which, imo, stumbled w/ TDKR

having not watched the movie, think this is more closer to begins timeline or even before

he’s still trying figure out the whole thing and strike the Bruce/batman balance and what he wants to accomplish in the city and his role

again, I haven’t seen it, but I heard a great contrast is him rolling up and bossing around the police about the crime scene in the TDK whereas in this he isn’t sure what his role is supposed to be in that grouping and is whispering directly to Gordon
TDK and The Batman are around the 2 year mark, not what you think it's supposed to be. He bosses up around police at the crime scene in this too.

i think the main reason its being compared to tdk isnt the timeline or the story but the quality and ranking

most have tdk as #1 and this is one is right there at #2 and to some might be tied at #1 or even surpass it

thats mainly why the two is being compared

yea.. everything I’ve heard the comparisons are basically judging it by the standard and not necessarily the content and trying to align things

and then it’s comparing aspects like the Gotham of Nolan verse or others and then this.. or how pieces would fit/work vs how they did elsewhere

The Bat Cave in an abandoned train station was perfect for the movie. If I was on the marketing team would have set a pop-up in NYC's Grand Central Terminal.

grand-central-terminal-nyc-thumbnail-3.jpg

The-Batman-Trailer-Batcave.jpg

Or in the closed City Hall station
300px-City_Hall_Station_(32200).jpg

Attachments

• 300px-City_Hall_Station_(32200).jpg
    300px-City_Hall_Station_(32200).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 2
Really enjoyed this one.

I did feel the length though and it could have been edited a bit better.

Overally lived up to my expectations and can't wait to watch it again. Saving comparisons/ranking in the Batman movies for now.

Speaking of rankings, still early but if I'm just jotting it out......

The Dark Knight
The Batman
Batman Begins
Batman 89
Justice League (Snyder version)
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman v Superman
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin

I think this is somewhat close. You could bump one or two up/down a notch depending on taste.

Speaking of rankings, still early but if I'm just jotting it out......

The Dark Knight
The Batman
Batman Begins
Batman 89
Justice League (Snyder version)
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman v Superman
Batman Returns

Batman Forever
Batman and Robin

I think this is somewhat close. You could bump one or two up/down a notch depending on taste.

NO

Ok so this was a very very very very very very very good movie. Damn near GREAT!

The Batman 6.8/8

The 3 hours were nothing. I loved the neo-noir dark toned, darker themed murder mystery that basically unraveled all these ****ed up secrets about Gotham's corruption.

Battinson was great as Batman and I actually like that due to the trauma, his obsession and mission that this Bruce Wayne doesn't care about appearances and the approach isn't to have his putting on a facade of being a billionaire playboy. This Bruce is hurt, is fully in Batman mode and couldn't be bothered with day time Bruce Wayne with any priorities. I really liked how this was clearly a Batman only after 2 years so he aint just use to all the crazy ****. Him being momentarily shook when he ran from the cops and got to the ledge and almost fell then composed himself with the gliding suit and then crashed anyway :lol:

Most of all I was overjoyed there was no dumb voice. Pattinson just had a more gruff voice but talked normally.

All the actors were dope or solid at least. I really liked Wright as Gordon. Farrell as Penguin was just :wow::wow: from appearances and nailed it acting wise. Reminded me of Paul Bearer when he ran with the Undertaker and Kane in the WWF.

On one hand I loved the Riddler for being one of the better well written psychopathic serial killers on the big screen and on the other hand I didn't like him cuz he was so comic inaccurate except for the riddles. Like the comic version (and cartoon) managed to keep something suave and enigmatic about him as a villain. This movie has him a text book delusional psychopath thinking he and Batman are kindred spirits and it basically stems from him being a lonely loser.

With that said I loved what Reeves did with the villain even though he's different from all other versions of the Riddler. The revelations, the bread crumb clues, the communicating in between kills, the riddle games played to keep living or died, the online dark web followers was a particularly nice touch for the type murderous nut job this Riddler is, etc. were all spot on Riddlerisms.

Watching him semi psych himself up to kill the mayor cuz lime he would say later he's not physical like Batman, realizing and saying Batman is no way as smart as he assumed :lol:, the meeting face to face and saying Bruce Wayne's name over and over before forming context leading Bats and the viewer to think he knows who he is.

The way they sort of slip in Riddler's origin was really good. Directly tied to Gotham, the Waynes, Falcone, the Mayor, the DA, GCPD, etc. He has good reason to expose these ppl

Also I am so happy he's not dead and technically won in the end.

The balance of plot and action was really good. The fights kept me entertained and came at right moments. Well paced story. With that said I was digging the plot a whole lot more. The music was on point, nice mix of music and the score.

That car chase scene delivered. That whole part of the story reminded me of Hush where Batman is making sound detective hunches but is going down the completely wrong path as he looks for who the rat is basically for the Riddler

I liked this take on Gotham and its criminals and overall corruption. To me this is how it should always be depicted. Also :rofl: @ Gotham Square Garden. I wonder if the Gotham Knicks are just as trash the NY Knicks.

My only really gripes are that while some of the plot has loose ties to source material I've never been a fan of vilifying Bruce's parents. They did this in the Batman Telltale game making Thomas Wayne just another rich corrupt dude that got exposed in pretty much the same plot with Maroni and the mayor except he as a doctor were committing other rich folks to Arkham who didn't pay up or do what he said. Unlike the movie though, it stuck but making Martha some former Arkham patient cuz she had mental issues is just wild.

The other gripe is for me the chemistry with Bats and Catwoman was off. It seemed totally one sided. Like it was clear Selina was in to Batman but that's it. When she kissed him it didn't even seem like he was kissing back :lol: Zoe was good as Catwoman. Her subplot was cool and I know its based on something but I prefer that story with The Huntress.

The 3rd act was greatness. As I've said, I love it when the villain actually wins. While the Riddler didn't get all his delusional goals fulfilled that last plan with his following went off without issue. It was ridiculously crazy. That mayor elect is fi e but she sure is dumb. Lucky she only got winged or that Riddler didn't just hire mercenary snipers to do the killing.

That last scene was some bull **** though. I'd prefer we get a mix of Hush and Court of Owls for the sequel. **** the Joker for now.

Riddler was Joaquin Joker plus riddles. That cry baby stuff at the end was weak. I wish they actually tied him to the corruption instead of just making him a downtrodden nobody that figured it all out cuz he happened to be a forensic accountant. The overall mystery wasn’t really a big mystery and having Riddler intertwined directly in some way could have given it a much-needed added wrinkle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom