Deadwood appreciation

deadwood.jpg

deadwood460.jpg

Deadwood is an American western-dramatelevision series created, produced and almostentirely written by David Milch.[sup][1][/sup][sup][2][/sup] The series aired on the premium cable network HBO from 21 March 2004 to 27 August 2006, spanning three 12-episodeseasons. Set in the 1870s in Deadwood, South Dakota, the show is set before and after the area's annexation by the Dakota Territory. The series charts Deadwood's growth from camp to town,incorporating themes ranging from the formation of communities to western capitalism.The show features a large ensemble cast, and many historical figures-such asSeth Bullock, Al Swearengen, Wild Bill Hickok, Sol Star, CalamityJane, Wyatt Earp, E. B. Farnum, Charlie Utter, and George Hearst-appear as characters on the show. The plotlines involving these charactersinclude historical truths as well as substantial fictional elements. Some of the characters are fully fictional, although they may have been based on actualpersons. Deadwood received wide critical acclaim [sup][3][/sup], won eight Emmy Awards (in 28 nominations) and one Golden Globe. It consistently drew high ratings

This was a GREAT series. If I had to choose which one would be in my collection between this and The Wire im not sure which I'd pick. That's just myopinion anyway, I have an unusual fascination with the Wild West. All the characters could act but my favorites:

Bullock
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Utter
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Swearegen
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Joanie Stubbs that accent
embarassed.gif

Wild Bill
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Doc
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Alma
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The OG preacher
frown.gif

I ain't like dude but you had to respect his crazy @!+..Hearst
smh.gif

Pinkertons
smh.gif
smh.gif
Straight goons

First you said American Gangster then Gangs of New York which is it. And no, I disagree with that nevermind the fact I don't believe you can really comparea movie to a three season series.

Gangs of New York and Deadwood are two different things; two different mediums even. It'd be like saying The Hudsucker Proxy isbetter than Better Off Ted. Hell they aren't even in the same time or place.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Pinkertons
smh.gif
smh.gif
Straight goons
Now there's a show I'd like to see; a drama about the early days of the Pinktertons.

Well there was We Never Sleep in '71 but I don't know about a t.v. show. Its something I'd like to write though.

I watched the first two episodes a few days ago and I wasn't enjoying it. I'll watch them again in a couple weeks after rewatching The Sopranos and TheWire.

Its definitely not for everyone, I don't think its as eventful as many would like. But the dialogue and acting is really good.

Originally Posted by gumbottombandit

i tried watching, but i just couldn't. damn show used the N-word more then the boondocks.

No it didn't. There was mainly one character (Steve the drunk) that did and he wasn't even a main character.

Speculation of a Deadwood revival has been around for years. Despite a critically acclaimed three-season run on the premium network, David Milch’s western masterpiece has long languished as an incomplete work. While little progress has seemingly been made in bringing the series back to television, it appears a draft for the movie script is now in HBO’s hands.

In a new interview, actor Ian McShane gives the strongest indication yet that the Deadwood revival movie is on the horizon. The actor says that a script from Milch has already been given to the powers that be at HBO. And while McShane is quick to note that nothing has been set in stone, it seems as though things are moving closer and closer to production.

The actor told TVLine:

“[A] two-hour movie script has been delivered to HBO. If they don’t deliver [a finished product], blame them.”

David Milch the Legend :smokin

I was looking up Paula Malcolmson’s filmography and saw a Deadwood movie was listed. To be released this spring. :smokin

^

Good. We don't get enough Westerns today.

Easily my second favorite film genre.

‘Deadwood’ Movie Starts Shooting, 12 Years After Series’ End

HBO Films’ long-in-the-works Deadwood movie has begun production 12 years after the end of the premium network’s Emmy-winning Western series from David Milch. Most of that original cast is returning for the film, which takes place 10 years after the events of the series, which ran three seasons from 2004-2006.

Ian McShane (Al Swearengen), Timothy Olyphant (Seth Bullock), Molly Parker (Alma Ellsworth), Paula Malcomson (Trixie), John Hawkes (Sol Star), Anna Gunn (Martha Bullock), Dayton Callie (Charlie Utter), Brad Dourif (Doc Cochran), Robin Weigert (“Calamity” Jane Canary), William Sanderson (E.B. Farnum), Kim ****ens (Joanie Stubbs) and Gerald McRaney (George Hearst) return from the original 36-episode run of the series from 2004-2006.

The film includes a new cast member, Jade Pettyjohn, who will play the character of Caroline. Her character info is under wraps, but the actor is next onscreen with Nicole Kidman in Karyn Kusama’s gritty cop drama Destroyer.

The plot, per HBO: The indelible characters of the series are reunited after 10 years to celebrate South Dakota’s statehood. Former rivalries are reignited, alliances are tested and old wounds are reopened, as all are left to navigate the inevitable changes that modernity and time have wrought.

I read Westworld was filming on their old, altered sets and then they filmed on those sets again for the Deadwood movie.

****ing finally.

Been wanted another season since the show ended and then the rumors for a movie had me mad hype its been so long since the movie rumors.

Deadwood is so ****ing good. Loved binging this show. Finally these c**ksuckers @ HBO smartened up.

Back
Top Bottom