December Wrestling Thread | Rest In Peace Brodie Lee | Happy New Year | JOTM Bruce Mitchell

'Tiny' Lister aka Zeus.

No-Holds-Barred-New-Line.jpg

Candice, Gargano, Theory and Hartwell have terrible onscreen chemistry.

Except for the no-look high five, they did that nsync.

R.I.P. Tiny Lister. What a f'd up year! :emoji_angry:🙄😢

I'll always recall seeing him as a wrestler named Zeus in WWF in 1989 first and foremost before I learned he was an actor.
Zeus.jpg

On a lighter note, I'll always remember that manufactured feud between Hulk Hogan and him in 1989. It was a marketing ploy to cross promote the No Holds Barred movie and WWF programming. They supposedly had problems on the set of the movie and it carried over to "real life". I remember Zeus was pissed off he had to lose to Hogan in the movie, so he came to WWF to prove he could beat Hogan in "real life". 😆
Zeus2.jpg
Zeus3.jpg

I forced a cosmiccoffee9 cosmiccoffee9 to watch like 1000 hours of TNA through their free streaming channel and:

-I still have not decided whether I like the six-sided ring or not.

-AJ Styles would have flopped in WWE for the vast majority of his career, been out here fighting Jamie Noble.

-wtf was Kevin Nash doing with that bootleg ¨Still D.R.E¨ beat?

-as a matter of fact, the fact that pretty much all TNA themes are buttox really makes it look low-rent.

-I actually dig the Joseph Park/Abyss stuff.

-that Jeff Hardy belt remains one of the ugliest aesthetic objects I have seen crafted by skilled human hands.

-¨Cute Kip,¨ huh?

-Dudleyz are probably the best tag team of my active wrestling fan lifetime, all things considered.

-their stable game was the worst. seriously, go home Jeff Jarrett.

-what makes Christopher Daniels a Fallen Angel? is it the same thing that makes Drew McIntyre a psychopath?

-¨Mr. Anderson¨ will never ever sound quite as hilarious as MIIIIISTEEERR KENNEDAAAAAYYY

On this date, from 1800, we celebrate the Shango religion, one of many African inspired religions practiced in the Americas.
Practiced primarily in Trinidad, Grenada, and Recife (Brazil) where it is known as Xango, it was developed in the 19th century. Shango was brought from the African Yorba tribe during slavery. The deity, orisha, whose power is represented by the images of thunder and lightning. As the legendary fourth king of the ancient kingdom of Oyo, Shango's rule was marked by whimsical use of power. One account asserts that Shango was fascinated with magical powers. He inadvertently caused a thunderstorm and lightning struck his own palace killing many of his wives and children.
In repentance he left his kingdom and traveled to Koso, where he hung himself. When his enemies cast contempt upon his name, a rash of storms destroyed parts of Oyo. Shango's followers proclaimed him a god and said the storms were Shango's wrath, avenging his enemies. All of the stories concerning Shango represent the theme of capricious, authoritative, creative, destructive, magical, medicinal, and moral power. Shango's staff visualizes the unpredictable and violent power of the divine being. This power is personified through dance.
The religious worship centers on the Chapelle, a small cult house, and the Palais, a tent where ceremonies and healing take place. Each year the Palais is the scene of a major festival for Shango that ranges from recitation of the Lord's prayer to manifestations of Shango’s spirit and animal sacrifices. At the festival, an entranced devotee, the elegunshango, dances to the sharp staccato rhythms of the bata drum and waves the staff, oshe, with violent and threatening gestures--and then suddenly draws it to himself in a motion of quiet serenity. In one account regarding the oshe shango, the female figure who balances the ax, the sign of Shango's power, is equated with the "caprice and creative experience of human sexuality."
Shango's power is compared to the libidinal drive which may prove dangerous to the possibilities of creative sexual relationships. This interpretation may reinforce racial stereotypes of African male sexual prowess. Perhaps the Shango cult may instead be viewed as a warning of the arrogant use of military power to political leadership.
1607705933554.png

Back
Top Bottom