Decks vs patio

Whats up NT homeowners, Anyone have info or thoughts on doing a deck vs a patio made up of pavers.  Im deciding the pros and cons of both.  Has anyone done either and what are your thoughts.  I always thought that patios would be more but the more i read it sounds like they may be cheaper.  My buddys company was gonna charge 1500 labor for a 16x16 deck.  The materials were 2500$ from home depot.  (pressure treated wood deck with vinyl railing).  So the total is about 4 grand.  What size patio could 4 grand buy?  Would love to do an arched patio with a 2 or 3 foot high retaining type wall.  Maybe a fire pit built in.  Anyone who has done either please chime in!  Thanks fellas.

I worked for a carpenter full/part time thru college and one of the things i worked on was this huge extravagant deck....hot tub...fire pit....outdoor kitchen....brick oven.

If done correctly i think it will def add more value to your home than a patio.
Theres little things that make it nicer tho like
Is it a raised deck?
What kind if wood? Cedar is nice for posts for ex but expensive
Kind of stain?
Lighting?
Plumbing?

I don't know how much u know but its ALWAYS cheaper to do it yourself. Besides the basic tools...for a deck youll need a table saw and miter saw.

a patio seems easier to build and maintain...esp if you're using concrete or stones or watever for the floor. Concrete is very easy.

as far as the pricing i think 1500 for labor is very fair esp if they have all their own tools.
2500 for materials i guess is good for a contracted price...but like i said if u did it yourself it would be much cheaper.

again tho depending on how nice a deck were talkin.

@sckid20  ….I know enough to feel comfortable with doing both, its just a matter of time.  Work and kids schedule kills me.  Although it would take me months to complete a patio or a deck, i am not completely opposed to the DIY route but ill continue to get quotes.   Thanks for the input

Back
Top Bottom