Defining Moments, It's been 6 years

This release is still haunts me. Wanted it bad. Jordan brand slowly lost me for this.

I know everyone here is saying the quality on these was so great but it really wasn't. They weren't really comfortable, the cut was much more narrow, the patent leather was super stiff and the placement of it across the toe box caused the shoe to feel like it was being suctioned off the back of your foot. I had two sets of these and got rid of both, never missed them. Of the two, the VI's were better (fit and finish wise) but wasn't enough to keep them in the collection. For your visuals you can clearly see the placement of the patent leather was off on the DMP's causing an unnatural bend not only because of the placement but also because of the stiffness of the patent leather itself.

Originally Posted by trethousandgt

I know everyone here is saying the quality on these was so great but it really wasn't. They weren't really comfortable, the cut was much more narrow, the patent leather was super stiff and the placement of it across the toe box caused the shoe to feel like it was being suctioned off the back of your foot. I had two sets of these and got rid of both, never missed them. Of the two, the VI's were better (fit and finish wise) but wasn't enough to keep them in the collection. For your visuals you can clearly see the placement of the patent leather was off on the DMP's causing an unnatural bend not only because of the placement but also because of the stiffness of the patent leather itself.
Can you or someone do this comparison including the recent retros including the SJ, Bred CDP, Cool Grey and Concords to the DMPs? Because i know its sad, but those are all i have in hand to compare to the DMPs, and i appreciate them a lot more.

Sold my package and I regret it so much. I got a pair of DMP XI's for a steal, now I just need a crispy pair of DMP VI's for about $300 and I'm set.

quality is great on the dmp, so based on this pic and the space between the lace and the toe patent that makes them bad quality, !*#%# with that crap dmps are nice (not the best quality obviously but very very nice and comfortable) and yes i own OG 11s and these are up there comfort wise.

sold my package b/c they just sat in the closet and I could never wear them since I only had 1 package.... but its fine with me i'd rather take my concords over these dmp xi's anyday....

however I do miss the dmp 6s .... i'll probably scoop one on ebay hopefully soon

Originally Posted by rcjbbp1313

quality is great on the dmp, so based on this pic and the space between the lace and the toe patent that makes them bad quality, !*#%# with that crap dmps are nice (not the best quality obviously but very very nice and comfortable) and yes i own OG 11s and these are up there comfort wise.
Yea, I don't think your getting the point.  Its more than "just space" it was a design flaw that most definitely affected the wearability of the shoe, not to mention the entire shape of the shoe was off thats definitely a quality issue.  If you have OG's then you should know they fit much much different than these (unless you bought your OG's used).    You can clearly see in the photo below that the shoe's upper goes forward (like these Jordan's have a hunched back) on the 2006 version while the 2000 release is more natural to the shape of your foot and ankle.  

If you love your DMP's more power to you I still stand by the fact I would never ever EVER drop the kind of money they go for just for Icey soles, they were not designed well and  I'd much rather get a set from 2000.  Not sure how the 2011's fit because I haven't owned them hopefully they corrected those issues. 

If you love your DMP's more power to you I still stand by the fact I would never ever EVER drop the kind of money they go for just for Icey soles, they were not designed well and  I'd much rather get a set from 2000.  Not sure how the 2011's fit because I haven't owned them hopefully they corrected those issues. 

If this is indeed true, makes me feel great for doubling up on two pairs of 2000 Concords instead of trying to move both so I can get my hands on the DMP pack.

I also regret sellin my DMP pack in 09... Just needed money and the offer i couldnt resist. Now that i see the pictureson hereand all the details i guess i dont feel as bad.

Originally Posted by rcjbbp1313

Yea, I don't think your getting the point.  Its more than "just space" it was a design flaw that most definitely affected the wearability of the shoe, not to mention the entire shape of the shoe was off thats definitely a quality issue.  If you have OG's then you should know they fit much much different than these (unless you bought your OG's used).    You can clearly see in the photo below that the shoe's upper goes forward (like these Jordan's have a hunched back) on the 2006 version while the 2000 release is more natural to the shape of your foot and ankle.  

Man, that DMP tongue is really propped up. My DMPs are nowhere near that shape. My XIs shape resembles the first picture you have of those as far as shape goes.

it's all a matter of camera angles/perspective....
perspective-motivational-poster.jpg

Originally Posted by DeewLay

Heres some perspective 

WOW! No matter how many pictures are put up with lines drawn around the DMPs or any XI, they are comfortable and the quality is much better than any XI released after. The quality is on point for retros in this era. The DMP is a good cop and a classic shoe no matter how many lines are drawn... Love the DMP XI and my VIs grow on me more and more everyday, especially after seeing the olympic VII/VI dropping. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is just how I feel. So Vaddy if you are a true fan of the XI I suggest trying to grab a pack. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

Originally Posted by Vaddy

If this is indeed true, makes me feel great for doubling up on two pairs of 2000 Concords instead of trying to move both so I can get my hands on the DMP pack.

Smart move, the only thing the DMP's have over the 2000 release is the box, but your not wearing the box so its pointless.  Not sure where you live but if you get the chance to visit flight club wear a set of your 2000 released and try on the DMP's guaranteed you'll walk out patting yourself on the back.
@Proballer, when you say the quality is on point for retro's of this era its irrelevant when he owns the best quality retro of all three retro releases.  

Originally Posted by DeewLay

Heres some perspective 
to me the set on the left is taken at a more elevated angle, where the set on the right is more straight....idk brah....

Deewlay has nothing to do with it. Like i stated before, if anyone has the chance to visit Flight club's either in LA or New York or has a 2000 retro and a DMP put them both on and you can clearly see they are nowhere near the same in terms of wearability. I'm not a stickler for a little bit of extra glue or very minor imperfections but the DMP's design was poor and can be felt when your wearing them. Most people that are super hyped over this shoe weren't around or weren't into sneakers the first time these retro'd. The DMP felt more like it was designed to be on display instead of worn. I was hyped just like everyone else when the DMPs dropped because my 2000 retro's were were starting to look beat so i scooped two packs. When I got home and tried them on I was confused as to why they felt so crappy. Both sets the same problem. Had a friend of mine try on both pairs and then my 2000 release and he said the same thing. The shape of the shoe combined with the placement of the patent leather was really bad. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they look horrific but at the end of the day they shouldn't be that uncomfortable when your paying big money like that for shoes.

Deewlay has nothing to do with it. Like i stated before, if anyone has the chance to visit Flight club's either in LA or New York or has a 2000 retro and a DMP put them both on and you can clearly see they are nowhere near the same in terms of wearability. I'm not a stickler for a little bit of extra glue or very minor imperfections but the DMP's design was poor and can be felt when your wearing them. Most people that are super hyped over this shoe weren't around or weren't into sneakers the first time these retro'd. The DMP felt more like it was designed to be on display instead of worn. I was hyped just like everyone else when the DMPs dropped because my 2000 retro's were were starting to look beat so i scooped two packs. When I got home and tried them on I was confused as to why they felt so crappy. Both sets the same problem. Had a friend of mine try on both pairs and then my 2000 release and he said the same thing. The shape of the shoe combined with the placement of the patent leather was really bad. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they look horrific but at the end of the day they shouldn't be that uncomfortable when your paying big money like that for shoes.
Have you tried on the CDP "Bred XIs" ?
30t6p3b.gif

If you want to make comparisons, those came at a 310 price tag when the DMP came at a 295. Try comparing those to the DMPs and then come make a comparison.

If you kept this pack, you'll be glad you did because these are definitely still wearable. OGs and '00 retros need to be carefully worn because of age. You'll also be glad because in comparison to what we have TODAY, (Concords / Cool Greys / Spacejams) these are amazing in quality. The PL cut on the DMPs has a good noticeable height difference cut in the back on the heel of any of the recent retro XIs. You'll also be glad because this pack was the last thing of quality that came out of JB before they made their famous decline, that lead us into our crap of today.

Sure, the DMPs aren't as good of quality as the '00s. But the '00s aren't as good as the OGs. The shape is also slightly different on the '00s than on the OGs.. do we hear people bashing them about it? NO. Any shoe can be talked about like that to be honest. I don't own any '00-'01 XIs, and I have no intention on spending money now on a shoe that could split from the sole from just wearing them. If I did buy them, it would be for collection purposes and NOT to be worn, which is what a shoe is for right?

DMPs are as far back as you can go into mid top XIs that you can wear without any worry of separation at this point in time. They're still wearable, look amazing IMO, and are great quality compared to the other XIs in my closet as of right now.

My verdict?

Quality - '00 Concords > DMPs. (But the SHAPE of the shoe is NOT different)
Wearability- DMPs > '00 Concords.
Conditions in Accordance to Today- Seeing as most DMPs aren't yellowed to the point of the '00 Concords, I'd say DMP > '00 Concords.

Go ahead and flame me for it, but my opinion is my opinion.

/done&done.

^^No flame but the 2000 concords shouldn't have a wearability issue unless they were stored under extreme conditions. As far as the shape and all that not matching the OG's, correct the retro's don't match the same shape as the OG's but they still look good AND are comfortable. You just put them on and go, no annoyances. The same can't be said for the DMPs.

Back
Top Bottom