delete

You think CC will help me get better at bball dramatically stamina wise?
Not really.

Originally Posted by imjy

Originally Posted by f3DJam

dont do it, youll build slow twitch muscles that will stay with you for life

word? can you expand upon this a bit more?

i exxagerated a lil, a season of cc wont do anything.
alot of it will build a majority of slow twitch fibres in your body. and would be hard to turn back into fast twitch to build size or power later on
its the difference between and

Exxagerated? How about lied.

You can not build a certain type of muscle fiber in your body..... and you cant turn them back into something.

Cross country won't help terribly for basketball, if you want to get more stamina on the court, do more drills.

Cross country training isn't too bad once you get going. It depends if you want to just stay in shape for consistently improve on your times and what not.

See how the program is at your school, some it's a flat-out joke, but if the school is serious about it and you want to be a distance runner in track, thanby all means I'd encourage it. Cross country is suggested moreso for the distance runners in track, not the sprinters. YOU CAN, don't get me wrong, butit won't benefit you as much.

Personally, I loved Cross Country, but it's my own personal case, and I won't speak for anyone else.

I run cross country

im at the end of my sophomore year in high school
ran as a freshmen also

you run 3 miles and 5k's(3 mile with a 400m basically)
its just a mental thing
cross country gets me faster for track. it really helps me out for track season
gets me faster for the 400 and 800
and its very competitive, to me atleast

its all mental tho

oh yeah btw our team when to the texas 2a state meet this year. It was cold and windy tho
sometimes the wheather sucks

Originally Posted by notoriusWES

I run cross country

ran as a freshmen also

its just a mental thing

its all mental tho

oh yeah btw our team when to the texas 2a state meet this year. It was cold and windy tho
You're a soph in high school?
eek.gif

Coulda sworn you were my age my dude. Damn...

Originally Posted by Durden7

Not really.

alot of it will build a majority of slow twitch fibres in your body. and would be hard to turn back into fast twitch to build size or power later on

You can not build a certain type of muscle fiber in your body..... and you cant turn them back into something.

yes man, you have different types of muscle fibres in your body. type 1, and type 2a and 2b. 1 being slow twitch, 2 being fast twitch.
yea when you build them up you cant turn them back. you dont see any big cc runners. cc runners arent good athletes because they are weak, slow and not quick.which is what you need fast twitch fibres for

Im WELL aware of the differences in muscle fiber types.

You cant build a certain type of muscle fiber in your body. Youre preordained with your ratio of 1 and 2. You cant change that ratio.

Its not that you cant turn them back, you just have no control of how much of each type in in your body.

You cant build a certain type of muscle fiber in your body. Youre preordained with your ratio of 1 and 2. You cant change that ratio.

Its not that you cant turn them back, you just have no control of how much of each type in in your body.

my bad fam

but i meant like when you build a dominance of one, say 90% slow twitch
your fast twitch will never be up to par agian. or vice versa

uh yes you can. what do you think you're doing when you're lifting weights and gaining muscle?

Originally Posted by bchimcuter

uh yes you can. what do you think you're doing when you're lifting weights and gaining muscle?

laugh.gif
tired.gif
smh.gif

when you lift weight you increase the size of thet cells. you'll always have the same amount. same thing with fat. when you lose weight thecell size decreases.

Originally Posted by chillainvillain

When I ran cross country I thought it did great for me. I may not have improved my actual basketball skill set, but I was rarely tired which game me a goodadvantage on most people.

I've never seen a quick/high jumping CC runner. They're the 1mile/2 mile stars in track by far though.
you need to start looking harder. I ran in college for a couple of years and half our Cross Country team would do sprints. Some of those dudewere some of the quickest people I have ever seen.

Endurance wise it will help you out a lot if you arent planning on doing anything else.

Not really.

yes man, you have different types of muscle fibres in your body. type 1, and type 2a and 2b. 1 being slow twitch, 2 being fast twitch.
yea when you build them up you cant turn them back. you dont see any big cc runners. cc runners arent good athletes because they are weak, slow and not quick. which is what you need fast twitch fibres for

You're spreading a lot of nonsense with all respect. Hopefully people don't actually believe it, I ran Cross Country for 4 years andeverytime I go to the gym to ball I'm the fastest or one of the fastest players on the court (17-26 year olds). Watch a XC meet and see how the topfinishers finish the race and see if you see those guys running slow.

I was good at XC more so because I was tough not because I was a great runner. I was also a solid 800 meter runner which is not a track event for"slow" "unathletic"...

laugh.gif
tired.gif
smh.gif
alien.gif
courtesy of Kelly Baggett
"Someone mentioned muscle typing. Type I may not change to type II but the proportion between them can change,(which is just as important) as can the type of slow twitch or fast twitch isoform expressed. Say you got a 20 inch leg right now and you're 60% slowtwitch/40% fast twitch. That means you're probably pretty good at endurance activities and are pretty weak and naturally not very explosive.

Let's say over the next 5 years you bust your @%$ in the weight room and boost your leg to 25 inches. The type II's are what's responsible for theadditional growth and you just increased their proportion in your thighs by a whopping margin...now the proportion of fibers in your leg would probably be 70%fast twitch/30% slow twitch. So, no you didn't turn slow twitch into fast but you sure did crowd out the slow and you will function like a differentperson.
"
eek.gif
eyes.gif

Yeah, her basic info is factual and correct, but youre totally missing the point here.

You originally said dont do it because the slow twitch muscle fibers will stay with him for his life. Then you backed off and said that a season of CC wont doanything, but that a lot of CC will build slow muscle fibers in your body and be hard to turn back into fast twitch.

If you read what I wrote, I mentioned that you cant build a certain type of muscle fiber. I never said anything about training a certain type of fiber, ortweaking the proportion of those fibers. Youre genetically given a certain ratio from birth, BUT if that ratio is too large one way then youre going to haveone HELL of a time training the other.

THEN you give me a quote from this fitness professional who says that in 5 years of serious training you can see a 10% change in proportion. Her numbersappear to be rounded for ease, but I wont question her math. She says you can go change into a more fast twitch person instead of slow twitch, yet youyourself said you cant change. So which is it?

1. its a male with a first name of kelly
happy.gif
. visit his site athigher-faster-sports.com if you're not familiar with him.
2. i didnt say that, that was f3DJam
3. f3DJam is correct in his theory that CC training will make you less explosive/slower. but there are more factors beyond just muscle fiber type.

laugh.gif
My bad. I forgot that I was having a discussion with 2 differentpeople in here.

A guy named Kelly? Hell, no wonder he got into fitness/training.

It'll make you less explosive yeah, but it's not an irreversible process.

Originally Posted by i LyricaLJKilla i

Originally Posted by notoriusWES

I run cross country

ran as a freshmen also

its just a mental thing

its all mental tho

You're a soph in high school?
eek.gif

Coulda sworn you were my age my dude. Damn...

laugh.gif
yup, just a 15 y/o...how old are you lol

I ran track junior and senior yr of HS. I ran CC my junior yr. It was definitely tough. It'll challenge you mentally and physically. Those beasts like 1mile ahead of pack are straight sick.

Eh.. You mainly just run and run.. I did it in conjunction with soccer during the fall term every high school year.. I just considered it extra training forsoccer..

You're spreading a lot of nonsense with all respect. Hopefully people don't actually believe it, I ran Cross Country for 4 years and everytime I go to the gym to ball I'm the fastest or one of the fastest players on the court (17-26 year olds). Watch a XC meet and see how the top finishers finish the race and see if you see those guys running slow.

ok, how are your quicks. how is your vertical leap, how is your power?
no disrespect towards you but xc runners are just not good athletes outside endurance and speed agianst the avg scrub at a gym(not saying yours is like that)
yea they run a good pace. but anyone can run that pace. the thing that seperates them is that they keep it up for 15+ minutes.
You originally said dont do it because the slow twitch muscle fibers will stay with him for his life. Then you backed off and said that a season of CC wont do anything, but that a lot of CC will build slow muscle fibers in your body and be hard to turn back into fast twitch.
i was joking with that first line like i said. but yea a season wont do anything to drastically change your fibres to a point of no return.
If you read what I wrote, I mentioned that you cant build a certain type of muscle fiber. I never said anything about training a certain type of fiber, or tweaking the proportion of those fibers. Youre genetically given a certain ratio from birth, BUT if that ratio is too large one way then youre going to have one HELL of a time training the other.

you can train and get more of one fiber than the other. thats how your muscles grow. you cant change one into the other. but you can create moreof one fiber.
yea if it gets too large then you have a problem and you cant change it back. a 6 foot dude thats running long distance for years is not gonna be able toswitch his stuff up easily and be able to dunk a regulation. his muscles are too accustomed to it. a young 6 foot guy with no training can achieve that goalfaster if he focuses solely on building fast twitch muscle.

It'll make you less explosive yeah, but it's not an irreversible process.
im saying.
nothing is truely impossible but just you would never live up to your full fast twitch potential making the change. its just how i think it goes on, i have nodegrees proving my knowledge of the human body. its hard to change the muscle memory you build up for keeping pace for 5 miles or whatever to train it to do ashort outburst of power such as a sprint or jump

Back
Top Bottom