delete

At my school they would make us fill out anonymous teacher rate forms the last day of class. And it always seemed like teachers were SUPER nice that last week

most likely not.

their primary focus is research, so im sure the school doesnt care as long as theyre making progress on research and the tuition is still rolling in.

At Iowa state, we had to do professor evaluations all the time at the end of the semester. My business calc prof. was awful. He flat out told someone "no, I can't help you." Eval time came around and he was voted off of the island.

If they're tenured its harder to make a complaint stick.

My freshman year I had a horrible calc teacher but when I went to lodge a complaint I saw that he was tenured and I just kinda said forget it and stuck it out. People "knew" but there was little they could do.
It would have to be something like they actually committed a crime against you or called you names etc. As for teaching? its kinda hard to get that moved through the system unless its a major and widely reported problem. 

Its hard enough to fill some of those spots with decent talent so departments might be reluctant to just be dumping people like that. 

Also if the prof's focus is on research then they're bringing money into the school so it'll be harder to lodge a complaint there too. 

Originally Posted by StuntHard

most likely not.

their primary focus is research, so im sure the school doesnt care as long as theyre making progress on research and the tuition is still rolling in.

what do you mean by research?

Originally Posted by sillyputty

My freshman year I had a horrible calc teacher but when I went to lodge a complaint I saw that he was tenured and I just kinda said forget it and stuck it out. People "knew" but there was little they could do.

This is why I hate tenured

StuntHard is right. Teaching students is not their priority. Bringing recognition, and money to their programs through their research and noteriety is. Schools should not.be in this business model because its at the students expense. Financially and at the cost of receiving an inferior education.

Originally Posted by sillyputty

It would have to be something like they actually committed a crime against you or called you names etc. As for teaching? its kinda hard to get that moved through the system unless its a major and widely reported problem. 

Its hard enough to fill some of those spots with decent talent so departments might be reluctant to just be dumping people like that. 

Also if the prof's focus is on research then they're bringing money into the school so it'll be harder to lodge a complaint there too. 

smh, i wonder whats the process for a school to even hire a professor in the first place, im sure theirs multiple steps one would have to take to show they qualify instead of a teaching degree or a simple interview.

Originally Posted by Wr

StuntHard is right. Teaching students is not their priority. Bringing recognition, and money to their programs through their research and noteriety is. Schools should not.be in this business model because its at the students expense. Financially and at the cost of receiving an inferior education.

is this just for schools in the United States or does this includes schools overseas as well?

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

most likely not.
arnold_not_sure_if_serious_gif.gif

Most research Univ. prof. do separate work in their respected fields when not teaching ie. finding cures and such.

most likely not.

40882.jpg

EDIT: ^ beat me to it lol

Originally Posted by AME416

most likely not.

Most research Univ. prof. do separate work in their respected fields when not teaching ie. finding cures and such.

props, i thought that was what dude was getting at, makes sense for a school to hire a professor because of the accomplishments he has made on his resume or great things that professor may be involved in.

They make the students do evaluations, not sure what happens to them after that though

most likely not.

OMG.

most likely not.

I'm a Bio student and ALL of my teachers are doing research for a variety of things. Which leads to patents and prestige for the school. 
During the end of the term I also get those evaluation forms. 

Positives of Tenure
Advocates for teacher tenure say that teachers need protection from power hungry administrators and school board members who have personality conflicts with a particular teacher. Tenure status protects a teacher, when a school board member’s child fails their class, from having the repercussion of being fired. It provides job security for teachers, which many believe, translates to happier teachers and teachers who perform at a higher level. Tenure also ensures that those who have been there longest have guaranteed job security in tough economic times even though a newer teacher is cheaper to the district.
Negatives of Tenure
Opponents of tenure argue that it is too difficult to get rid of a teacher who has been proven to be ineffective in the classroom. Due process is a very tedious, difficult, and expensive process for all involved. Districts have tight budgets and the costs of a due process hearing can cripple a district’s budget. It can also be argued that teachers who have received tenure status could lack the motivation they once had to perform well in the classroom. Teachers can be complacent because they know it is far less likely to lose their job. Finally, administrators are less likely to discipline a teacher who is tenured compared to one who is a probationary teacher even if they have committed the same offense.

^Not really relevant for higher Ed.
Tenure in higher Ed is for talent retention, incentive to produce quality work, and greater academic freedom.

As someone currently in the process of obtaining a PhD, I'll break it down for you.

In the world of academia, there is a natural ranking of great to mediocre schools. For example (in business) a top-notch program like Wharton pays the most money and the primary focus of the professor is research. At a school like Central Washington University, professors are paid significantly less and their primary focus is teaching.

So if you have complaints about teaching effectiveness, they are much more likely to be heard at a CWU-type school rather than a research institution such as a Wharton. So it all depends on where your schools ranks on the research-teaching sliding scale as to how much weight your complaint may hold.

We need to have a talk with your English professor.

On topic, yes, some of these professors do experience the backlash (i.e. fired, reduced course load, or change in courses taught, etc).
It just depends on the college and how serious the Dean of that college takes the evaluations and other outside complaints.

Originally Posted by Wr

is this just for schools in the United States or does this includes schools overseas as well?

not that I know of first hand, but in reading magazines and articles locally and internationallywhich promote.new sciemtific findings, stats etc. are usually done under the name of programs at universities operating under various grants and other money sources. Those giving gthe money do it from an investor standpoint so these institutions are always under scrutiny to produce new info. The money they get pays for cutting edge technology and facilities that ppl on campuses enjoy.

Originally Posted by puffishurr

As someone currently in the process of obtaining a PhD, I'll break it down for you.

In the world of academia, there is a natural ranking of great to mediocre schools. For example (in business) a top-notch program like Wharton pays the most money and the primary focus of the professor is research. At a school like Central Washington University, professors are paid significantly less and their primary focus is teaching.

So if you have complaints about teaching effectiveness, they are much more likely to be heard at a CWU-type school rather than a research institution such as a Wharton. So it all depends on where your schools ranks on the research-teaching sliding scale as to how much weight your complaint may hold.

why you gotta throw CWU under the bus like that
happy.gif

edit:

back on topic.  I went to a lower tier state school myself, and what I noticed at my version of CWU was that a lot of the lower division classes werent taught by professors with their PhD (who also did research work) but by lecturers (probably just with masters in their respective fields).  I have to imagine that since these lecturers dont do any research and just teach, student feedback would have a greater effect on their future employment.

Originally Posted by AME416

most likely not.

wasnt the last cured disease polio or something like that? I dont think that research is doing much

Back
Top Bottom