*| | Denim _ School | |*

Whoever mentioned that the gap Japanese denim doesn't fade well, I can confirm that it's true. Washed my year old slim fit ones for the first time and they don't show any sort of whiskering or contrast.

Post pics. I have same pair as you and they turned out great. Whiskers. Honeycombs. The whole 9. Friends with higher quality denim always ask what they are Cuz they look good. Don't kno what your doing with yours to get nothing in a year. I wore mine about 9 months. I need to get them repaired now.

I wore them frequently and had bunching up on the legs and whiskering outlines near the pockets. I pulled them out of the washing machine and there was no fading or loss of color in those areas. I probably should've gotten the skinny fit ones.

Hmmm I would say keep wearing em periodically and see what happens. Couldn't hurt. I like mine enough to maybe cop another pair.

patience guys, patience...

I know we all want fades today, but the reality is some of the best fades you see are heavily worn jeans worn 24/7/365... these results will come in time.

I for one, do not want any crotch blowouts or tears after 1 year of wearing.

If you are gonna drop a couple hundred on nice HQ japanese denim, dont you want it to last more than a year ?  I see 1 year fades where the jeans are basically destroyed. why ? makes no sense to me. 

Again, blow out means you've distressed the fabric too much.  This comes from wearing a pair that's too tight.  There's no other way around it.  Worn denim is lush soft, and butter.  I can understand ripped patches with age, but a rise blow out within one year or whatever just shows you've gotten the wrong size.  There's no comfort, nor beauty in the that.

Raw denim to me is supposed to be unique and special.  It's not supposed to be quick or fast.  Fades appear when the time is right.  There's no need to rush it, fake it, or to force it.  Some denims fade more than others, but you just have to be patient and just let it come naturally.  I can't even wear new jeans if they bleed, that's why when I wear new kicks, I always go to my established pairs.

I wore them frequently and had bunching up on the legs and whiskering outlines near the pockets. I pulled them out of the washing machine and there was no fading or loss of color in those areas. I probably should've gotten the skinny fit ones.
If they are already showing then that's a good sign.  What you could've done was maybe soak the jeans to kind of establish a mini-reset w/o washing away too much of the color. Sometimes the washing machine will strip the dye/color even when the cotton hasn't broken in fully yet.

Good luck. keep wearing them.

Went to Saks 5th with no intentions on copped and walked out with these PRPS smh. But for 200 total that was a deal especially for the fact together they retailed at 510.

Current PRPS lineup

Last edited:
So I'm ready to wash/soak my Nudies for the first time after wearing them a majority of a year. Should I soak them or wash them and in cold, warm, or hot water? The Nudie website says to wash in water over 100 degrees.

I would buy woolite black. put them inside out, put them in the tub, cold water, agitate the water a bit, let them sit for a bit, agitate, rinse with cold water a few times, then hang dry.

So I'm ready to wash/soak my Nudies for the first time after wearing them a majority of a year. Should I soak them or wash them and in cold, warm, or hot water? The Nudie website says to wash in water over 100 degrees.

warmer water will give u more indigo loss. so if u wore them hard enough and soaked/washed in hot water u could see some decent fades. but being the first wash i wouldnt expect much

Last edited:
Does warmer water make them shrink more?
The purpose of a wash is to 'wash'.  You kids ever do laundry in your life? LOL  Ever washed 'dark' colored clothes in 'warmer' water?  Well there you have it.  So it's really up to you.  But what in good grief is a 100 DEGREE WASH? LOLZ  HAHAHAHAHAHA  You're not boiling your jeans.

All jeans will shrink after being washed and dried.  But this shrinkage is just the cotton contracting when exposed to heat and water.  Technically denim that's been worn for a good amount of time would have already stretched out.  Basically after a few wears from the wash, you'll go back to the size you've stretched them out to.

The purpose of a wash is to 'wash'.  You kids ever do laundry in your life? LOL  Ever washed 'dark' colored clothes in 'warmer' water?  Well there you have it.  So it's really up to you.  But what in good grief is a 100 DEGREE WASH? LOLZ  HAHAHAHAHAHA  You're not boiling your jeans.

All jeans will shrink after being washed and dried.  But this shrinkage is just the cotton contracting when exposed to heat and water.  Technically denim that's been worn for a good amount of time would have already stretched out.  Basically after a few wears from the wash, you'll go back to the size you've stretched them out to.

Oh relax. THis is the best pair of denim I've broken in and I don't want to mess them up.

Are uniqlo's selvedge denim raw? Any tips on washing them? Can I just toss them in the washer/dryer like everything else in my life? 

Quick question bout alteration with selvedge denim. When searching out a tailor, is there anything specific I need to b asking as far hemming and tapering my denim? I've heard tailors messing up the seam or hem or somthing along those lines so I jus wanted to know. I need these new joints hemmed and tapered a lil bit. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
You do not need to wash your denim after a year. There are other methods and the 'bacteria' or 'dirt' is about the same as someone who hasn't washed theirs for a week or a couple wears.

Keep them away from that harmful machine

Back
Top Bottom