Dev Bootcamp / CodeStreak / App Academy... and other Code-Immersion programs - Any of ya'll take one

was going to ask about software engineering and how i can get my foot in the door, but you gave mad info already. a portfolio sounds like a great idea (where do you store stuff like that? google cloud? github?)

im an EE with limited programming exp. essentially i took C, Verilog, Assembly and did MATLAB in school thats all. Currently studying Python on my own.

would a masters in comp sci help me out in switching careers? or should i just gring on my own, step up my language game and ride with my EE degree?

for ref, im in the architectual and engineering business. Its a start, but not interesting/what i want to do, so looking to make moves soon.

:nerd: :nerd:

Learn to use Git, and create a Github account. I don't have a website (well, not yet at least), but my resume has my Github account on it. For every interview, it gave me something to talk about., and I believe that's the reason I'm still getting interview requests. Find something you like doing, and spend some time doing side projects. For me, it's games. It could be tools, algorithms, apps, anything. It'll set you apart from all the 'do-nothing' Comp Sci majors who're doing the bare minimum to get by.

If you know C (and I mean know it well), then you've done a lot of the hard work already. I'd recommend you learn a widely used language, like Java or C++, because that's what a lot of employers look for. Not that C isn't widely used, but there's a large emphasis on OOP these days. Python is also gaining in popularity, so it's good to know. It's not about how many languages you know, it's about how well you know them. On your resume, consider putting your experience level with the languages (knowledgeable, beginner, etc). I have similar sections for APIs, Software, and Related Skills. Again, having a portfolio will really hammer it home. A portfolio won't stop them from grilling you during your interview, but it'll give you experience and reinforce your knowledge.

As mentioned before, you're expected to know algorithms, time complexities, design patterns, and general software engineering practices. The books I mentioned in a previous post go a long way towards helping you learn those.

I don't think you need a master's. As long as you know the topics I mentioned before, then you're good to go. If you feel like a master's would be worth it, go for it. :lol: Looking at job applications, I always see: 'BS in Comp Sci (or related fields)'. EE definitely falls under that umbrella. After taking Operating Systems and Computer Architecture, I became very intersted in EE. Comp Sci and EE are very intertwined. I would have considered double majoring, but I only came to that realization last semester. I would get my master's in EE, but I think I'm done with school after getting my BS. I don't think I really need it, but you always have the option of going back to school if I need/want to.

took some programming classes in HS, will check out some of the links posted in here

the program ended April 26th and since then, I've mostly been looking for work on my own. when it came to hardcore site development, i don't think i would recommend this program. we had the 'opportunity' to work on our own projects with little to no guidance. when it came to helping us find jobs - they literally did nothing. a lot of unhappy people at the end of the bootcamp.

i had a better idea with what i was getting into, though, so it worked out for me ok.

i was able to salvage something out of it, though, i got a junior 'front end engineer' position today with a funded startup (on my own accord).

if anyone wants to know more or wants to discuss further, feel free to PM me or continue along this thread...

The point of the degree (believe it or not) is not to learn things. It's to prove you can learn things :smile: Unless you're a programming god and can prove it, a degree is usually the way to go.

Completely agree. Most large software companies prefer those who have their degrees in these fields (CS, CIE, EE, etc) because it shows you have a solid foundation and complete (for the most part) understanding of computer hardware, algorithms, OOP (object-orientated programming), time complexity, etc etc. I was a footstep into the door at Apple before they decided I wasn't a good fit for their team (iOS Application Engineer), and now work at another major software company.

Everyone on our software development team has AT LEAST a Bachelor's in CS, CE/CIE, or Math (with a few CS courses as well). It definitely helps a lot to have real-world experience in development and design, but for most large software companies, you're working in teams on a large-scale projects, where you may only work on one tiny functionality of a product, so having the basics and solid foundation are very important in those instances.

If you can keep yourself motivated, and build a solid foundation and knowledge of OOP, polymorphism, inheritance, data structures, algorithms, etc, etc. then I'd say you'd be able to find work without a degree, but it'll be much more difficult getting a large software company to buy into your credibility without a degree (unless you have a large portfolio of work). Languages I would learn are C/C++, Java, and maybe another high-level language of your choosing or two, all depending if you want to work in front-end/back-end programming, web apps, or client software.

Back
Top Bottom