Did Google FINALLY take a true L with Google TV

Usually google products/services do well. Gmail was an instant success from the beta stages, google maps replaced mapquest, and android is doing well. So far though Google TV has been a failure. Logitech recently has stopped manufacturing their google tv box temporarily. What do you guys think about this? Can the google tv platform be revived? I feel that this is going to be very similar to the new chrome os, google has become way to eager to grow beyond the publics demands for their services.

Usually google products/services do well. Gmail was an instant success from the beta stages, google maps replaced mapquest, and android is doing well. So far though Google TV has been a failure. Logitech recently has stopped manufacturing their google tv box temporarily. What do you guys think about this? Can the google tv platform be revived? I feel that this is going to be very similar to the new chrome os, google has become way to eager to grow beyond the publics demands for their services.

google asked manufacturers to hold back on products- not sure if that's why logitech did what they did.
but google is actively working on updates to google tv so only time will tell

but i think google has taken Ls prior... wave and buzz .

google asked manufacturers to hold back on products- not sure if that's why logitech did what they did.
but google is actively working on updates to google tv so only time will tell

but i think google has taken Ls prior... wave and buzz .

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

They'll take the same Ls as Apple did.

Funny you bring that up what sparked me to start this thread was this article about the surprising success of the new apple tv.

Those who suspected Google TV would blow Apple TV out of the water are effectively eating their words on the heels of news that Apple TV has thumped Google TV to such an extent that the product, it's makers, and suppliers are reeling from the platform's less than stellar sales.According to DigiTimes, Logitech has ceased shipments of its Revue Google TV boxes for the time being, awaiting Google's software update. The report notes that Logitech's supplier, Gigabyte Technology, has suffered financial setbacks due to the halted distribution. The situation, however, isn't likely to improve for some time as Google may not issue the software update until late winter or early spring. Despite high hopes, sales of Google TV have largely fallen flat according to industry and analyst estimates, a reality addressed by Sony's own decision to reduce the price of its branded Google TV product. There are also reports that efforts are underway to conceal the Google TV branding until the brand's image improves. Google, in fact, is rumored to have suggested to its various licensees that it may be wise to hide their Google TV-based set top boxes at January's CES. Sales of Apple TV, on the other hand, have been consistent and impressive, with one million units sold to date. According to Apple, the $99 Apple TV - which lets users watch HD movies, TV shows, and stream content from Netflix, YouTube, Flickr and MobileMe - has exploded to such a degree that users are now renting and purchasing over 400,000 TV episodes and over 150,000 movies per day.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

They'll take the same Ls as Apple did.

Funny you bring that up what sparked me to start this thread was this article about the surprising success of the new apple tv.

Those who suspected Google TV would blow Apple TV out of the water are effectively eating their words on the heels of news that Apple TV has thumped Google TV to such an extent that the product, it's makers, and suppliers are reeling from the platform's less than stellar sales.According to DigiTimes, Logitech has ceased shipments of its Revue Google TV boxes for the time being, awaiting Google's software update. The report notes that Logitech's supplier, Gigabyte Technology, has suffered financial setbacks due to the halted distribution. The situation, however, isn't likely to improve for some time as Google may not issue the software update until late winter or early spring. Despite high hopes, sales of Google TV have largely fallen flat according to industry and analyst estimates, a reality addressed by Sony's own decision to reduce the price of its branded Google TV product. There are also reports that efforts are underway to conceal the Google TV branding until the brand's image improves. Google, in fact, is rumored to have suggested to its various licensees that it may be wise to hide their Google TV-based set top boxes at January's CES. Sales of Apple TV, on the other hand, have been consistent and impressive, with one million units sold to date. According to Apple, the $99 Apple TV - which lets users watch HD movies, TV shows, and stream content from Netflix, YouTube, Flickr and MobileMe - has exploded to such a degree that users are now renting and purchasing over 400,000 TV episodes and over 150,000 movies per day.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

*Looks at google's stock price before and after googletv*

nope.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

*Looks at google's stock price before and after googletv*

nope.

saw this from a mile away

too many free software and media programs out there... let's be real if you're saavy enough to know your way about pirated media, you can build your own HTPC box. why would you buy a google/apple TV or boxee box

then you have the ease of a netflix or hulu premium so yeah

peace out cable TV!

saw this from a mile away

too many free software and media programs out there... let's be real if you're saavy enough to know your way about pirated media, you can build your own HTPC box. why would you buy a google/apple TV or boxee box

then you have the ease of a netflix or hulu premium so yeah

peace out cable TV!

2nd-generation-apple-tv1.jpg

so how about this then?

not an Apple hater btw. I have and IP4.

The idea of TV and Internet merging into one platform is not going to go away. Apple & Google are still well ahead of the times, exploring and experimenting with these products. It might be an L now...but that's only for short-term thinkers. It'll be corrected and succeed accordingly once the mass of consumers are ready for it. As of today there is still so much potential for both TV (HD, 3D, etc.) and the digital space...don't think the world is quite yet ready to merge both into one. 

The idea of TV and Internet merging into one platform is not going to go away. Apple & Google are still well ahead of the times, exploring and experimenting with these products. It might be an L now...but that's only for short-term thinkers. It'll be corrected and succeed accordingly once the mass of consumers are ready for it. As of today there is still so much potential for both TV (HD, 3D, etc.) and the digital space...don't think the world is quite yet ready to merge both into one. 

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

2nd-generation-apple-tv1.jpg

so how about this then?

not an Apple hater btw. I have and IP4.
I actually read an article recently on how it's actually doing pretty well. Something about how it will sell it's millionth unit this month.

Back
Top Bottom