Do barbers make a good living?

And y'all best believe the barber life ain't THAT lucrative. Yes, its straight cash, but what 'bout them SLOW days? People aren't getting haircuts 24/7. That plus the cost of rent and the amount of time spent on your feet... it's a long day's work.

...you have no idea what you're talking about.

...i come from a long line of barbers and beauticians. being a barber can be as lucrative as the effort you put in it.

My friend's dominican barber, owns 3 barber shops/hair salons around our way, and owns some in Dominican Republic, he owns 3 houses (now sure if he's swellin though), and has an army of kids that he supports off ease. So yes some barbers can make it happen for themselves.

OP based on that previous thread you made about your parents salary, idk what you worrying about.. But anyways

Some shops here in nyc dont let you keep all the cash for every customer you cut. They let you keep a percentage of your total $ made and the end of the week, basically to cover the chair fee, bills, etc..

and keep in mind that a lot of the newer heads dont start off cutting 10+ heads a day, they usually have mad downtime and are eyeing the door for anybody who may need a cut. Before you get to that point of having your loyal customers and steady cash flow, youre one of the dudes sweeping, and cutting random dudes.

In Cali they got a pretty penny. Usually charged 200-300 for their chair, but probably see 10-15 heads a day if not more @ a $20 charge. Nobody pushing Vettes or going to playoffs tho. Ur barber must have rich parents.

true and false
go to any suburb and these dudes are raping everyone for 20$ minimum. my barber rapes for 20$ not including tip, and does appointment only, so no wasting time cutting kids hair for 8$
10-15 dudes a day would be a slow day at the barbershop i go to, my barber is cuts about 3 dudes per hour, an astonishing rate but makes sense because he doesnt spend 40 minutes talking or arguing. he works from 730/8-5pm. 3x a week. whatever he's making, its enough to have him in a condo + car and motorcycle + have his gf hatching kids with no questions asked

That's wayyy too fast for a nice cut, unless he's extremely skilled - skilled enough to make him one of the best barbers in the country if he can cut at that rate.
And yeah, the average barber doesn't make much - around 30K/year. The hair dressers/stylists make a lot more - could make twice the amount a barber makes if given the same amount of clientele.

Last edited:
In Cali they got a pretty penny. Usually charged 200-300 for their chair, but probably see 10-15 heads a day if not more @ a $20 charge. Nobody pushing Vettes or going to playoffs tho. Ur barber must have rich parents.
:lol:

i think the barbers can keep all the money and tips and pay the owner 200$ every week for the rent chair. so thats one day rent chair rest all yours gg.

I think it depends on how long they been in the business and the clientele or following they have. At my barber shop, the majority of customers are there to see the main guy and the main guy only. You got the other two just sitting around reading magazines most of the time picking up randoms or people who don't want to wait.

Sort of off topic but would you say tipping 3$ for a 11$ haircut is below average and looks cheap?

^

$2 tip would even be cool, some people just round it up, $13 = $15 for example. I just give my guy $15 and the cuts are $12.

They can do ok, but OP your barber ain't driving vettes and going to playoff series on a regular off being a barber.

My barber opens at 10-7. 5 days a week. Closed on Monday and Sunday. Dude is 26 and has a kid. Just from getting my cut there every week or 2 weeks and talking to him he is definitely making some money. I wouldn't say he is rich but he did just cop a house. He is a master barber and owns his own shop. I always wanted to be a barber.

Its a good trade to mess wit, when tou got a crowd

You make some steady money thats recession proof.

Very true it's the weekend for them cuz they can't be closed on Friday or Saturday

The most lucrative part of being a barber is the networking. You run into ALL the come ups.

My barber loves to complain about some **** when I'm in the chair though, giving me a spill on the state of women, and how the church is going. 

One week he's a devout Christian, then the next he's showing me pics on his phone of the thickest girls in town. He's been telling me he's gonna leave his wife for the past 4 years now. 

But he's nice with the cut so that's all that matters. 

The most lucrative part of being a barber is the networking. You run into ALL the come ups.

Oh this time 100...you wanna get da latest on things

And dont got da net? Go to da barbershop, you'll get

Put on to any & everything.

I can walk in a shop and it only takes me a few seconds to spot the best barber. That's if they all have someone in the chair. 

Ya'll are probably the same way. 

lol at 6 am hair cuts.

I'd say 90% of the barbers around my way sell drugs so they're probably doing just fine.

Back
Top Bottom