Do chicks understand why were in love with Aaliyah? NT LADYS?

Originally Posted by Maximus Meridius

You can say she overrated all you want but the fact that she sold millions of records and already had a few movies under her belt at 22 says a lot. She was definitely on her way. Her and Beyonce were not the same type of artist/singers so its pointless to even compare them.

The reason why this logic is flawed is because she died before she even stepped into woman hood. We don't know if she would have had to play the game and essentially $*$* herself out like Beyonce did. We know her as a little kid, young and cute, innocent girl before she died. But again, she was so young when all of that happened that it is unfair to compare a little girl to what Beyonce is right now. We don't know what she would be if she was alive today. We don't know if she could have stood the test of time. So please, stop with the > Beyonce talk that always comes up for whatever reason.
No matter how she got there, Beyonce is widely recognized as the best in her category. There will always be people quick to say, "So and so would have been ___ if ___." Well just let it go.

Aaliyah was a little ahead of my time so I was never really into her. But my husband loves her! She's gorgeous and she has a few classic hits so I guess I can see why... Not like it matters.

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

She was overrated, great dancer yes but overall talent no.

qft
and i loved the one in a million album
this

Dudes be ready to take your head off saying that
30t6p3b.gif

The combination of nostalgia and the tragedy of her death

really clouds peoples perception 

If she had lived I envisioned a career somewhat similar to Janet Jackson MAYBE

respectable on the whole, but not really a threat

but let's be real about things, especially when saying she's better than Beyonce

I don't even rock with Beyonce like that, but people really seem to downplay her

because of the spectacle that is Beyonce and everything that surrounds her

talent-wise she's far ahead of Aaliyah
thank you!

i'm called a B stan when I say this...

i think a lot of people just hate B is so visible and blame her for this independent woman movement...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CashBanks

never got the hype for her she was def cute but nothing crazy
I don't say this often at all but I think her face was perfection. Of course thats IMHO.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Maximus Meridius

You can say she overrated all you want but the fact that she sold millions of records and already had a few movies under her belt at 22 says a lot. She was definitely on her way. Her and Beyonce were not the same type of artist/singers so its pointless to even compare them.

The reason why this logic is flawed is because she died before she even stepped into woman hood. We don't know if she would have had to play the game and essentially $*$* herself out like Beyonce did. We know her as a little kid, young and cute, innocent girl before she died. But again, she was so young when all of that happened that it is unfair to compare a little girl to what Beyonce is right now. We don't know what she would be if she was alive today. We don't know if she could have stood the test of time. So please, stop with the > Beyonce talk that always comes up for whatever reason.
No matter how she got there, Beyonce is widely recognized as the best in her category. There will always be people quick to say, "So and so would have been ___ if ___." Well just let it go.

But the guy you're quoting didn't even say any of that. He didn't even mention Beyonce. He's just talking about the concept of Aaliyah being "overrated".

I've never been a fan of the "neverrated" referring to others as "overrated". But I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But I also can't understand how a musician who has multiple platinum projects and then segues into film can be "overrated". The minority says "overrated", but millions of others seem to enjoy their product.

She seems to be "rated" appropriately given her level of success. Ain't too many out here saying Aaliyah is an all time R&B great or the hottest women to ever wall the earth. And if a FEW people believe that, I don't think that qualifies as "overrated".

As for your other point, she was already starting to do "adult" content when she passed. "Rock The Boat", "More Than A Woman" weren't really kiddy tracks. Neither was "One In A Million" for that matter.

She wasn't even in that "young, innocent kid" lane at that time and I'm not sure she ever really was given the fact that most people thought she was in a relationship with R. Kelly when she was a teenager.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

i don't think anyone really cares why...

i find it odd how obsessed drake is with her...

she seemed like an amazing person and everyone spoke highly of her even before her death but his infatuation is strange to me...
she mad ...

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

For me, Amerie could have been her equal...
I mean she could have been if she would have gotten a super push, but you could say that about just about anyone. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BennyBlanco3

Aaliyah was a jumpoff tho
from like 14
R Kelly had his way with her face before she was legal and dudes call her an Angel because she was cute 
laugh.gif

it's in line with women calling Marilyn Monroe a hero

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

For me, Amerie could have been her equal...
I mean she could have been if she would have gotten a super push, but you could say that about just about anyone. 
laugh.gif

Nah, but she had me... She had that appeal. Looks, vibe and everything... And she started to get thatmysteriousness about her like Aaliyah had.I was on board with whatever she was doing... And then she just... Fell off...
30t6p3b.gif

Not to derails the thread, but I'm just sayin...

Originally Posted by illphillip

As for your other point, she was already starting to do "adult" content when she passed. "Rock The Boat", "More Than A Woman" weren't really kiddy tracks. Neither was "One In A Million" for that matter.

She wasn't even in that "young, innocent kid" lane at that time and I'm not sure she ever really was given the fact that most people thought she was in a relationship with R. Kelly when she was a teenager.

Starting to and being judged on that while being compared to someone who has been in full adulthood for 10+ years isn't a comparison. Yea Aalyiah started to grow up but she passed away while in the beginning stages.
Point blank, she is probably remembered as a cute tomboy boy the masses. So again, we are comparing grown woman sexiness to little girl sexiness. No comparison. It doesn't need to be compared and like Minny said, I don't see why people feel the need to bring up Beyonce WHENEVER Aaliyah is being remembered.

Her dominant gimmick was Tomboy.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by BennyBlanco3

Aaliyah was a jumpoff tho
from like 14
R Kelly had his way with her face before she was legal and dudes call her an Angel because she was cute 
laugh.gif

it's in line with women calling Marilyn Monroe a hero

awww you guise...didnt take long to go there
laugh.gif

being born in 88, Aaliyah dropped that Back n Fourth join at the right time...she was ever young, urban kids crush...ALWAYS made the ill r&b music...got with Timbo and Missy at their absolute peak (in hip hop at least)...followed her career up until her death...

Her + Timbo & Static = 
pimp.gif

listening to her music now i see it has a female'svenerabilitybut also maintains this assertive vibe..
Bey would still be doing this if she was alive....

Back
Top Bottom