Do people have any idea whats going on with the sale of the Rangers? SMH Bud Selig....

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

Why should I care about this?
Why would you click on the thread if you didn't?

Idiot.
eyes.gif

Outrageous. Any A's fan who seriously supports a termination, look at our own situation: we're a low-earning franchise in a dead ballpark. You don't think Bud would act in a similar fashion?

I hope that Bud leaves office before he can do any more damage. The Rangers and their fans don't deserve this.

Outrageous. Any A's fan who seriously supports a termination, look at our own situation: we're a low-earning franchise in a dead ballpark. You don't think Bud would act in a similar fashion?

I hope that Bud leaves office before he can do any more damage. The Rangers and their fans don't deserve this.

I wrote briefly about the fishiness of this ordeal a bit back. Off fanscribe.net.
[h1]A Texas-sized mess. And we could have seen it coming.[/h1]

The Texas Rangers have one of the most curious backstories of any major sports franchise. From the fact that they were sold to Bob Short pretty much on credit alone to George W. Bush buying a stake  on the team (and later flipping it for 30 times its value) while Daddy was conveniently in the Oval Office, a lot of shadiness has surrounded the team’s financial issues. The last chapter in the long line of executive ineptitude (or cunningly witty scamming…) was written today as a court ruled that the Rangers were to receive substantial loans from MLB to stay afloat.

It boggles the mind that a franchise that received the gift of a publicly financed stadium which is actually well-attended could be $575M in the red. I can understand that an owner may be under financial stress given the current economic climate, but that is still no reason to bail him out like MLB seems intent on doing.

After enjoying the operative cash flow afforded to him by the generosity of taxpayers, Tom Hicks will apparently walk away from the Rangers after watching the debt he has accumulated being paid off by the new ownership. Just like banking’s elite made out with a handsome ransom after running enormous corporations to the ground then had the government ready to bail them out, Tom Hicks will have the luxury of throwing $252M deals around and watch as somebody else ponies up the dough to close out those deals.

A lot has been made about the need to regulate the market, and sports should be no different. No owner should be allowed to swim in cash when the getting’s good and then turn around and sell the team off, walking away unscathed, when the pot of gold is found empty. Tom Hicks got the Rangers into this mess, and his $1B wealth should be the main factor that drives them out of the mud. Will it be? Of course not. The good ol’ boys mentality will reign supreme.

Now for the real kicker in this story; it’s not the first time Hicks riles up a fanbase then leaves them hanging. It’s not the second either.

Around the same time Hicks took over the Rangers, an investment group headed by him showed up in Brazil and took over Corinthians, one of Brazil’s most important soccer teams. After Messianic proclaims regarding big expenses to retool the team as well as the building of a much-needed stadium, Hicks and his cronies ran away at the first sign of trouble and left Corinthians in a much worse situation than the one they found the club in.

Not happy with dashing the hopes of one soccer fanbase, Hicks led a partnership to take over Liverpool FC three years ago. Again, promises of a new stadium were made. What actually happened was Hicks penny-pinching after a formidable 2007 season that saw the Reds make the UCL title game, selling off talent to balance the books and of course, Liverpool still playing their home games in Anfield.

What should MLB learn from this debacle?

That fiscal responsibility needs to be monitored and enforced.

That the precedents need to be taken into consideration when overseeing a sale, which in this case should have been hastened.

That the days of free spending are over.

What will MLB learn?

Not a damn thing. Here’s hoping Nolan Ryan and Co. do a better job, and that owners around all major sports don’t take this case as a sign that there is an EXIT button for everyone. If they do, God have mercy on sports fans…

I wrote briefly about the fishiness of this ordeal a bit back. Off fanscribe.net.
[h1]A Texas-sized mess. And we could have seen it coming.[/h1]

The Texas Rangers have one of the most curious backstories of any major sports franchise. From the fact that they were sold to Bob Short pretty much on credit alone to George W. Bush buying a stake  on the team (and later flipping it for 30 times its value) while Daddy was conveniently in the Oval Office, a lot of shadiness has surrounded the team’s financial issues. The last chapter in the long line of executive ineptitude (or cunningly witty scamming…) was written today as a court ruled that the Rangers were to receive substantial loans from MLB to stay afloat.

It boggles the mind that a franchise that received the gift of a publicly financed stadium which is actually well-attended could be $575M in the red. I can understand that an owner may be under financial stress given the current economic climate, but that is still no reason to bail him out like MLB seems intent on doing.

After enjoying the operative cash flow afforded to him by the generosity of taxpayers, Tom Hicks will apparently walk away from the Rangers after watching the debt he has accumulated being paid off by the new ownership. Just like banking’s elite made out with a handsome ransom after running enormous corporations to the ground then had the government ready to bail them out, Tom Hicks will have the luxury of throwing $252M deals around and watch as somebody else ponies up the dough to close out those deals.

A lot has been made about the need to regulate the market, and sports should be no different. No owner should be allowed to swim in cash when the getting’s good and then turn around and sell the team off, walking away unscathed, when the pot of gold is found empty. Tom Hicks got the Rangers into this mess, and his $1B wealth should be the main factor that drives them out of the mud. Will it be? Of course not. The good ol’ boys mentality will reign supreme.

Now for the real kicker in this story; it’s not the first time Hicks riles up a fanbase then leaves them hanging. It’s not the second either.

Around the same time Hicks took over the Rangers, an investment group headed by him showed up in Brazil and took over Corinthians, one of Brazil’s most important soccer teams. After Messianic proclaims regarding big expenses to retool the team as well as the building of a much-needed stadium, Hicks and his cronies ran away at the first sign of trouble and left Corinthians in a much worse situation than the one they found the club in.

Not happy with dashing the hopes of one soccer fanbase, Hicks led a partnership to take over Liverpool FC three years ago. Again, promises of a new stadium were made. What actually happened was Hicks penny-pinching after a formidable 2007 season that saw the Reds make the UCL title game, selling off talent to balance the books and of course, Liverpool still playing their home games in Anfield.

What should MLB learn from this debacle?

That fiscal responsibility needs to be monitored and enforced.

That the precedents need to be taken into consideration when overseeing a sale, which in this case should have been hastened.

That the days of free spending are over.

What will MLB learn?

Not a damn thing. Here’s hoping Nolan Ryan and Co. do a better job, and that owners around all major sports don’t take this case as a sign that there is an EXIT button for everyone. If they do, God have mercy on sports fans…

Yeah, MLBPA would never let something like that happen.

Bud Selig is an idiot anyways.

I still don't get why people go in threads just to say stuff like Steve Cash and spsfitness. Go somewhere else with that foolishness
smh.gif

Yeah, MLBPA would never let something like that happen.

Bud Selig is an idiot anyways.

I still don't get why people go in threads just to say stuff like Steve Cash and spsfitness. Go somewhere else with that foolishness
smh.gif

I wonder if A-Rod would loan the Rangers some money...

This is a bad situation for Rangers Nation. I hope Mark Cuban buys the team. I miss the Rangers makin' the playoffs only to lose to my Yankees.
laugh.gif

This is a bad situation for Rangers Nation. I hope Mark Cuban buys the team. I miss the Rangers makin' the playoffs only to lose to my Yankees.
laugh.gif

Bud Selig sure does have his ways of becoming the worst commish in sports.

Makes David Stern look somewhat smart. And thats saying something.

Bud Selig sure does have his ways of becoming the worst commish in sports.

Makes David Stern look somewhat smart. And thats saying something.

Originally Posted by NIMFH

You could also note the time that his firm's (Hicks, Muse, Tate, and Furst) $1.2 billion telecom investments went **** up in the early 2000s and he responded by leaving the firm to "spend more time with his family and his sports teams."

Selig needs to be very careful in how he continues to deal with this. He's claimed that he can revoke the creditors' rights (and threatened to do so should they block the sale) by acting in the best interests of baseball. If he pisses these creditors off enough, no creditor is going to be willing to finance purchases of MLB teams.

Originally Posted by NIMFH

You could also note the time that his firm's (Hicks, Muse, Tate, and Furst) $1.2 billion telecom investments went **** up in the early 2000s and he responded by leaving the firm to "spend more time with his family and his sports teams."

Selig needs to be very careful in how he continues to deal with this. He's claimed that he can revoke the creditors' rights (and threatened to do so should they block the sale) by acting in the best interests of baseball. If he pisses these creditors off enough, no creditor is going to be willing to finance purchases of MLB teams.

Originally Posted by Steve212

laugh.gif

I thought I read online that the Rangers still owe A-Rod money from that big contract he signed with them.

Originally Posted by Steve212

laugh.gif

I thought I read online that the Rangers still owe A-Rod money from that big contract he signed with them.

The Rangers emerged from bankruptcy today...
pimp.gif

Chuck Greenburg and Nolan Ryan to the rescue. These MFers money whipped Mark Cuban..
sick.gif

MLB Approval is set for next Thursday and Rangers Baseball Express will assume control Friday the 13th.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Greenburg said:
The team cost us more than we expected, but we're still gonna go get Cliff Lee. We're gonna get that done.
No, you're probably not Chuck... But god dammit I love you anyways.

The Rangers emerged from bankruptcy today...
pimp.gif

Chuck Greenburg and Nolan Ryan to the rescue. These MFers money whipped Mark Cuban..
sick.gif

MLB Approval is set for next Thursday and Rangers Baseball Express will assume control Friday the 13th.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Greenburg said:
The team cost us more than we expected, but we're still gonna go get Cliff Lee. We're gonna get that done.
No, you're probably not Chuck... But god dammit I love you anyways.

Back
Top Bottom