Do we underrate Gary Payton?

So today during my workouts I was thinking of all the great defensive guards in the NBA today and I couldn't truly name any that are truly great at defense. Chris Paul and Rajon aren't exactly great at defense to me they are simply good. They're known for taking risky gambles and I've seen both get torched plenty of times. Payton is widely considered only 5-8 for point guards of all time.What do you guys think? I personally believe the PG position is the hardest position to defend because PGs have the ball in their hands most of the time.
gary-payton-nba.jpg

So today during my workouts I was thinking of all the great defensive guards in the NBA today and I couldn't truly name any that are truly great at defense. Chris Paul and Rajon aren't exactly great at defense to me they are simply good. They're known for taking risky gambles and I've seen both get torched plenty of times. Payton is widely considered only 5-8 for point guards of all time.What do you guys think? I personally believe the PG position is the hardest position to defend because PGs have the ball in their hands most of the time.
gary-payton-nba.jpg

I simply believe we don't give enough credit when it comes to defense. Winning DPOY as a point guard is an absolutely insane feat.

I simply believe we don't give enough credit when it comes to defense. Winning DPOY as a point guard is an absolutely insane feat.

Yes

Magic
Stockton
Isiah
GP
Kidd

I might need to switch Stock and Isiah, but I kinda think Stockton was underrated a lil bit too.  I dunno.  Haven't sat down and really gone thru it all. 

Yes

Magic
Stockton
Isiah
GP
Kidd

I might need to switch Stock and Isiah, but I kinda think Stockton was underrated a lil bit too.  I dunno.  Haven't sat down and really gone thru it all. 

His defense ranges from underrated to properly rated, but his offense is consistently overrated.

If anything, he's overrated.

His defense ranges from underrated to properly rated, but his offense is consistently overrated.

If anything, he's overrated.

The Glove is my fave PG of all time and that's coming from a BIG Magic Johnson/Lakers fan.

The Glove is my fave PG of all time and that's coming from a BIG Magic Johnson/Lakers fan.

Back
Top Bottom