Do you actually listen to people? Or do you just wait for your turn to talk?

12,802
3,039
Joined May 14, 2002
A couple weeks ago a friend of mine and I had this convo

I definitely am I terrible friend because I just like to talk about myself and my problems or accomplishments, and then don't listen at all when other people talk. He said he does the same thing


Tonight I'm talking to a friend on facebook chat, and she's talking about her problems, and I just completely ignore it and start talking about how I'm excited for lost tomorrow


She called me out on how she always listens to me but I never listen to her..

So NT... do you actually listen, or do you just wait for your turn to talk?
 
1,329
11
Joined Jan 4, 2009
 I know what you mean about the FB thing. it happens especially on AIM.
i'll be talking to my homie saying one thing, and he's sending something else....and we're just sending $**@ back and forth without any regard to what we just said talking about girl problems, school, money, etc 
 
6,783
18
Joined Dec 29, 2006
Its funny when you pretend to be listening to what the other person is saying, and then the person you are talking too also does it when YOU speak.

It's like both of you are just speaking to another person simply because you don't want to talk to yourself. Regardless if anyone is really listening, you are determined to get your point across....come hell or high water.

Those convos go nowhere.
 
11,946
11
Joined Apr 8, 2009
I try to listen when talking to females. They expect you not to so it surprises them when they do. Not to say I agree with them just hear what they say and call them out if necessary.
My dudes? They be spewing #@#%!$@+ most of the time anyways (not that females don't but you get the idea)
But I do listen when #!+% gets real
 
846
11
Joined Apr 28, 2009
Originally Posted by Cragmatic

I definitely am I terrible friend because I just like to talk about myself and my problems or accomplishments, and then don't listen at all when other people talk. He said he does the same thing
Honestly, I noticed that about you a long time ago.
You'd come in to threads and switch the topic to something personal. At least you're not in denial about it.


I've always been a listener/reader and attentive about what goes on around me (online and offline
). How does the saying go? Two ears, one mouth...listen twice as much as you speak. That would be me.
 
31,509
1,886
Joined Sep 16, 2003
Originally Posted by iLL I AM

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

I definitely am I terrible friend because I just like to talk about myself and my problems or accomplishments, and then don't listen at all when other people talk. He said he does the same thing
Honestly, I noticed that about you a long time ago.
You'd come in to threads and switch the topic to something personal. At least you're not in denial about it.


I've always been a listener/reader and attentive about what goes on around me (online and offline
). How does the saying go? Two ears, one mouth...listen twice as much as you speak. That would be me.


Ive noticed that with with a few nters as well
Particularly Rilla lol.
 
18,528
759
Joined Sep 28, 2005
Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by iLL I AM

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

I definitely am I terrible friend because I just like to talk about myself and my problems or accomplishments, and then don't listen at all when other people talk. He said he does the same thing
Honestly, I noticed that about you a long time ago.
You'd come in to threads and switch the topic to something personal. At least you're not in denial about it.


I've always been a listener/reader and attentive about what goes on around me (online and offline
). How does the saying go? Two ears, one mouth...listen twice as much as you speak. That would be me.


Ive noticed that with with a few nters as well
Particularly Rilla lol.

   Rilla definately does that...

i do both...sometimes i'm listening other times i'm trying to remember what i want to say waiting for the other person to take a breath
 
6,257
533
Joined Sep 19, 2007
Depends on the topic, if it intrests me enough then I will listen but also feel the need to talk. If someone is talking about personal issues I normally just listen. Most of the time I either just sit back and listen to people or just pretend to listen and zone out. I guess I am just the kind of dude who would rather sit back and take in information and *%%@ rather than bother people with my problems.
 
8,227
692
Joined Nov 30, 2002
I try and stay balanced, because I am not a fan of people who only talk about themselves.

...Its more common now that I think about it, because when I do encounter someone who actually ask questions about me or someone else, it throws me off guard.
 
1,683
39
Joined May 25, 2008
I'm more of the listening type. I have a weird quark where I over analyze what people say and try to profile them.

Once I think you're not talking bout nothin or are just boring, I have a bad habit of just talking over you
 
Top Bottom