Do You Feel Positive/Negative Emotions Less Strongly with Age?

If so, how can you differentiate between feeling emotions (positive or negative) less due to being older/having experienced them more and not really feeling emotions simply because you don't feel them?

Discuss.

i think i process difficult emotions much more efficiently than when i was younger. much of that stems from me realizing what’s important to me and what’s not. so often it comes down to not being that big of a deal or not being worth the fuss.

Tbh I feel like I was cold blooded when I was younger.

after having my son, I be emotional af in my own head. Petty, holding grudges around the house, eating revenge snacks n ****. Drinking everyone’s juice right out of the carton off some petty **** my girl says that pisses me off. :lol:

When I wasn’t younger I would have just shrugged it off and I’ve actually had multiple ex females tell me I felt careless or apathetic to them.

I suffered from anxiety and panic for most of my life and I read an article that might have explained why I was the way I was in my teens and early to mid 20’s - https://themighty.com/2017/08/person-with-anxiety-seems-like-they-dont-care/

It makes sense tho. But now I feel like mentally I’ve done a 180 compared to when I was 22. Now I feel like my anxiety makes me super sensitive at times.

I think this is kinda true. As kids we aren’t really using our heads. As adults we become more conscious and utilize logic than just emotions to solve things and be successful. I’ve seen myself thinking more and becoming a little less emotional as time passes by.

This is very true in my case...to a fault.
I’ve been through so much in my life and now it’s like if it isn’t a tragedy it doesn’t effect me.
Life has turned me cold and emotionally tough as a rock. I find it harder to connect with people.

It’s made it real difficult with my lady, whom I really love, but have trouble expressing and connecting.
It’s hard for me to sympathize with some of her problems cause from my scope they are tiny and shallow even though I know some stuff really bothers and hurts her.
Conversely , it’s hard for me to let her in to my life and let her help me with some of the stuff I deal with cause I honestly don’t give a damn about the small stuff anymore. It doesn’t phase me.
My girl has a hard time realizing that and she thinks I’m just holding it all in when really I let things go immediately. It makes me seem cold and that bothers her cause she wants to be there for me.

Someone called me aloof a while back but it’s def not on purpose. It’s me protecting myself. I don’t let myself get too high or too low.

Last edited:
It's always been hard for me to be super excited about anything. I was pretty rational younger than most and now that others have less or no influence on my life, I really dont get crazy about anything.

Buying my own stuff = less excitement than hoping a parent buys it.

Dating with money = less excitement than when I was less sure of myself and my status.

Being harrassed at work = less negative than before I had a strong history at work and went into managing.

Going out / partying = less excitement than when I was young and trying to get white boy wasted.

.... i could go on
Most high level emotional reactions stem from unknown outcomes, fear, anger, confusion. Surprise. As you become older life becomes more routine and people are more predictable...

I was raised to be angry and inscure. My parents came pretty much from br0ken homes. My whole life mentally and spiritually was a mess for about 28 years. Held a lot inside and resented my parents for this. Finally, I was able to forgive them and let it go. Way more easy going and carefree now a days. Though I still have my days.
Parents play a huge role, I think i would have been more grounded and centered with a stronger male figure around. The way i reacted to things, i would consider feminine. I'm still in the process.

Everyone wants to be a sociopath but don't nobody wants to be sociopath.

I think they whole "not having feelings" thing society is obsessed with now is a misinterpretation of how to handle feelings. You're not supposed to "not feel" feelings, you're just supposed to handle them better. Theres nothing wrong with feeling a type of way about anything, just don't let those feelings effect not related decisions and actions.

Back
Top Bottom