Do you give bums money when they ask for it?

i rarely give cash, but the other day i gave a woman with her daughter $10
dont know her situation, but if she out there asking for money with her kid...

i was in a terrible place in my life 2 years ago, i was a junkie ,
i lived on the street, completely homeless, for over a year. culmination of my years of smoking ice. anything given freely to me was robbing me of the opportunity to earn it for myself and perpetuated the cycle of my addiction. being completely cut off by everyone who cared for me provided the impetus for change. i have a family, decent job, mortgage, car etc. now. sad thing is, after paying my bills and putting money into the accounts, my wallet is just as empty as when i was homeless :lol:

i lived on the street, completely homeless, for over a year. culmination of my years of smoking ice. anything given freely to me was robbing me of the opportunity to earn it for myself and perpetuated the cycle of my addiction. being completely cut off by everyone who cared for me provided the impetus for change. i have a family, decent job, mortgage, car etc. now. sad thing is, after paying my bills and putting money into the accounts, my wallet is just as empty as when i was homeless
laugh.gif

That's tough man .. but it's great that you're back on your feet and doing well.

I look like a million dollars everyday, full suit, nice shoes, clean cut and drive a nice car .. but man my pockets are always empty paying all these bills for my family so I feel you lol

Only give money to the older or disabled(mental/physically) ones, the young and able-bodied ones can get a job.

Used to, Around my area it was a pretty well off area alot of military/govt folk since it's only 45 mins outside of DC so we'd see alot of panhandlers. I would give em like 10-20 bucks if I had extra cash but I saw two of them fakin had me feeling dumb so I rarely do it now.

If they are sincere then I am more then willing...

Then there are those who get too comfortable...

I seen this one girl buy a homeless man 2 cheeseburgers at McDonald...

the man got mad and told her "I wanted a big Mac...the **** is this?"

:smh: :rofl:

Last edited:
Have y'all ever given a bag of cans or bottles wherever there's a recycling program?

Back when I was in college we used to save all our our cans and bottles for my homie Willie The Can Man. This dude is a legend at Michigan State. He used to come kick it with us and was always good for stories and laughs. One year for Thanksgiving I had my parents and sister spend it in a East Lansing and I ran into Willie that day so we invited him over for Thanksgiving dinner. It was pretty special to eat TG dinner with him and introduce him to my fam. We also used to let him crash on our couch here and there. Willie will forever be the homie.

As far as bums pan handling, I don't give them a dime, ever. Occasionally some food if I have it or I'm buying some nearby.

Last edited:
I look out when I can but some but sometimes dudes be doing to much.

Had this ex-con on the L in Chicago get up and make a announcement about needing money to pursue his dream to study criminal justice at Chicago state. I was with it until he opened his mouth talking bout i could rob and steal to get it but I refuse to do that anymore, basically threw out unnecessary info that nobody was feeling.

If they don't hassle me I'll usually atleast give them my change you never know what some of these dudes been through a lot are war veterans

Always if they have dogs.

Here and there otherwise.

Pregnant ladies or ladies with kids usually get some too.

I buy Welch's fruit snacks from kids on the subway who are selling them for their basketball team or not for their basketball team but for themselves so they can stay out of trouble etc etc etc etc.

Especially when I'm :smokin

EDIT: Just saw Hawaii 50 story. PROPS!

Last edited:
I went to a gas station today. There's a homeless person that I see I on occassion.

I decided to give her $5 because I've seen her at least 5 times before, but I've never given her money.

I got $5 in cash to give to her. I motion her the money and she denies it.

A homeless person denying your money.

Awkward as hell.

Last edited:
I live outside camden, anytime I am in the hood to go to sneaker villa, I always give da "bums"who are honest wit me a doller. If they jus tryna come up off panhandling all day f em. But I mean if somebody needs 75 cent to get food or to keep it g even to get a bag or a drink ( get well) ill Try to help....sometimes it's OD annoying tho.

I don't let them use my phone
I don't let them get more than I want to give them
I don't let them tell me these rediculous my car broke down stories

If they has a sign why lie I need a beer, I'll give em a dollar.....honesty is key wit "bums" for me.

Last edited:
I've bought some of em mcdonalds or something after work, most of the time i offer food over cash. Most of the time i'll ignore em though. The worst are the guys with newspaper and windex
See though...I'm way quicker to give these people money than the ones just straight begging with no hustle whatsoever. If I'm gassing up my car and some hapless dude cleans my windows without asking for money...of course I'm gonna kick him down something. 

Especially since it's way more common to just beg. If you're playing an instrument, or washing windows or something...I appreciate the effort more. Atleast they're trying.

See though...I'm way quicker to give these people money than the ones just straight begging with no hustle whatsoever. If I'm gassing up my car and some hapless dude cleans my windows without asking for money...of course I'm gonna kick him down something. 

Especially since it's way more common to just beg. If you're playing an instrument, or washing windows or something...I appreciate the effort more. Atleast they're trying.
Agreed and I think those are the people that are more down on their luck and need a few dollars vs. the kind of people that would just blow the money on drugs and booze.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but the fact that those people are actually doing something makes me give them a few bucks. This one dude was cleaning up the street outside of a bar. Didn't even ask for money or nothing and was doing a really good job. I think a gave him $5 just for the effort.

If i have food, i usually give bums food.

one time, was walking with my homeboy. bum asked for some money, i attempted to give him my leftovers.
he didn't even open the container, just said "Oh, I can't eat that!"
I said "you don't even know what's in the box."
dude tries to then ask if he could have it, i said nah and kept walking.

There was this guy standing outside a store, claimed he needed money for the bus. Tossed him a dollar. Went in and came back outside, same dood asked me again. He was like oh my bad. I said ain't a dollar enough for the bus? :smh:

Other than that, if my pockets ain't tight I'll do what I can.

Last edited:
I'm always cool to homeless ppl but..

I was on the streets at like 7 years old hooping in the park..
Bum ran up grabbed my red gatorade from the ground and dipped quick..I was actually heated and and tried to chase dude all for sum damn gatorade..:lol:

I still hook up the homeless..I actually enjoy giving the old school cats just chillin sitting casual with a cup.. They always cool ppl and real appreciative

Last edited:
Not usually. But if they're truly hungry, I offer to buy food. If they refuse, I know what they're about. 

No because I always see the same guys that are asking for money talking on their iPhones before going down into the subway. Fraud.

Back
Top Bottom