Do you think we'll ever see another politically/socially aware superstar black athlete?

A few days ago after watching the documentary titled, "Facing Ali", I was reminded of how much the black athletes of Ali's era were more than just athletes/brands/celebreties. They were also activists & leaders who spoke out and even changed certain issues that affected their communities. Those type of black athletes seem to be extinct now.

Many of those athletes came out of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. The 80's ushered in a "new" black athlete, one who was seen but not heard,"transcended race", and as long as he/she smiled for the cameras and played well in their respective sports, were seemingly encouraged to ignore many of the problems that plagued (and still do to this day for the most part, maybe even more so now) the African American community.

I know this is a topic that most chose to stay away from, but what are your thoughts?

A few days ago after watching the documentary titled, "Facing Ali", I was reminded of how much the black athletes of Ali's era were more than just athletes/brands/celebreties. They were also activists & leaders who spoke out and even changed certain issues that affected their communities. Those type of black athletes seem to be extinct now.

Many of those athletes came out of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. The 80's ushered in a "new" black athlete, one who was seen but not heard,"transcended race", and as long as he/she smiled for the cameras and played well in their respective sports, were seemingly encouraged to ignore many of the problems that plagued (and still do to this day for the most part, maybe even more so now) the African American community.

I know this is a topic that most chose to stay away from, but what are your thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom