Does anybody here really celebrate Kwanzaa?

No, but I was in Champs the other day and I heard some lady on her cell phone say, "You have a JOYOUS Kwanzaa!"

So I can say for certain that at least two people out there (her and whoever she was talking to on the phone) celebrate it.

Do they celebrate kwanza in Africa? I have a friend whose family is from Nigeria and he said his fam doesn't. Is it just a US thing?

Kwanzaa is not a genuine African holiday, according to my friends from Ghana and an old h.s Chemistry teacher from the Congo, Kwanzaa was just a holidaycreated by Americans...I can't remember why off-hand, but that's what I've been told, and they get furious just at the mere mention of the"holiday"

No...

anyone remember a show on pbs called the puzzle place...

there was one kid that was black... and he was really sad one day because no one wanted to celebrate Kwanzaa with him

^
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ The Puzzle Place.
smh.gif
@ me for remembering that.

Originally Posted by MaZA4eVeR14

Do they celebrate kwanza in Africa? I have a friend whose family is from Nigeria and he said his fam doesn't. Is it just a US thing?

no it was created in america for those africans (decedents of slaves) who lost touch with their ancestor's practices

i never seen anyone celebrate it except on gullah gullah's island

my family kinda does and i dont see how it could hurt to celebrate your african roots, i mean you can celebrate condomble but thats a whole other religion, theway my family celebrates it is during christmas we take out the candles and get seperate gifts from the christmas one's which consists of somethingeducational and in my opinion its a good way to do it, i mean of coarse africans are goin to get mad or confused because it was created here but youshouldn't hate on african americans who already don't have to many ties to africa celebrating there roots.

Also from what I've been told by Africans from Ghana and Nigeria Kwanazaa means some bull shhh in that language or doesn't me nothing at all its likean auxillary word like "for" or some shhh

That "holiday" is a joke, they took the candles from Haunakah and the colors from christmas n decided to get smart n see if they can make money offthat to. Just another slap in the face to blacks in America and a lot of them don't even realize it.

smokin.gif

I heard it was started by Black Panthers.

And has no African roots or basis.

My mom gets pretty into it, so I guess I celebrate it. I'm usually not home the nights she does the candle lightings so she's usually doin it byherself. smh @ me.

not to be racist, but i feel like it's a black holiday...for the sake of having a black holiday.

Originally Posted by NolanDW

not to be racist, but i feel like it's a black holiday...for the sake of having a black holiday.

thats pretty much it. and the fact that they put the date at the same time as christmas and channukah is disrespectful to these actual religious holidays.
HKM206 smh @ you and your mom celebrating a fake holiday.

According to a marketing survey conducted by the National Retail Foundation in 2004, Kwanzaa is celebrated by 1.6% of all Americans (about 13% of allAfrican-Americans).

Nyk u still alive dog? Lol...u never finished the rest of the story bout ol girl in healthmax....hit me up on the pms
laugh.gif
....they got some new birds @tmickeydees fam
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
ya boy is in there like hamburger rolls.

It's an honest attempt to at least identify ourselves as descendents of Africa. It's not racist. Thanksgiving wasn't celebrated until Lincoln waspresident. Christ's birth wasn't even in December. If you're offended by Kwanzaa why not be offended by the situation that has led an entire raceof people knowing nothing about where they come from.

Back
Top Bottom