Does anybody tutor?

I have a potential opportunity to tutor some 2nd graders

in english and math

not sure how they teach math nowadays i heard its different :lol:

Anyone have any advice?

I used to be a tutor in high school for a company similar to Kumon, Sylvan, etc. and tutored independently for a bit after college.

What worked best for me was always adjusting the topic to something the student had interest in. It seems to help them when they think about interesting or realistic scenarios versus some stupid questions about apples and pennies.

for example, I tutored this one kid who couldn’t understand the math problems that were part of the curriculum, so what I did was reword the problem so that it was related to cars (the kid loved Lambos, Ferraris, etc) and drew a few quick pictures to aid him. He got it almost right away, and I told him to do the exact same thing for.

for kids who were reluctant to study or do the work, I tried being honest and relatable with them(outside of earshot of my supervisors/their parents though :lol: ). “I don’t like math at all either, but knowing math helps me earn $$$ to get the new car that I want. You want a real Lambo instead of just Hot Wheels one day right? If you keep doing well in this course you’ll be on your way to getting one”

Back
Top Bottom