Does it matter where i get my B.A degree from?

about to transfer soon next year to a university, but just wondering does it really matter where i get my b.a from if i am going to pursue my masters soon after? Im currently a Business econ major and always wanted to go to ucla but looks like im not going to be accepted due to my gpa. second choice was ucsd. if i get my b.a from ucsd instead of ucla is my salary going to suffer greatly? thanks

about to transfer soon next year to a university, but just wondering does it really matter where i get my b.a from if i am going to pursue my masters soon after? Im currently a Business econ major and always wanted to go to ucla but looks like im not going to be accepted due to my gpa. second choice was ucsd. if i get my b.a from ucsd instead of ucla is my salary going to suffer greatly? thanks

No it won't UCSD is a great school and your going to be going for your masters anyways.

Background info: I transferred last year and got into every UC, I choose Berkeley and I'm studying Econ and Cs.

No it won't UCSD is a great school and your going to be going for your masters anyways.

Background info: I transferred last year and got into every UC, I choose Berkeley and I'm studying Econ and Cs.

If you want to go to graduate school then your undergraduate school will play a role in the admissions process.

If you want to go to graduate school then your undergraduate school will play a role in the admissions process.

yes it does matter, but if it's from a reputable university (like UCSD) then it shouldn't matter as much. just don't get it from devry or the university of phoenix.

yes it does matter, but if it's from a reputable university (like UCSD) then it shouldn't matter as much. just don't get it from devry or the university of phoenix.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

This is false.

The information you obtain will matter but a kid getting a 3.9 with a 40+ on his MCAT from an average school will have a better time getting into med school than a kid going to MIT pulling a 3.2.

Basically if you are a communications major that pulls a 4.0 at a state school you will have a better chance than the ivy league kid pulling something under a 3.5. However at a state school you are less likely to get a better score on your standardized graduate school test (LSAT, GMAT, MCAT) because you will be exposed to a much more rigorous curriculum and be bombarded with way more information, this is where the ivy league kid has the advantage. 

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

This is false.

The information you obtain will matter but a kid getting a 3.9 with a 40+ on his MCAT from an average school will have a better time getting into med school than a kid going to MIT pulling a 3.2.

Basically if you are a communications major that pulls a 4.0 at a state school you will have a better chance than the ivy league kid pulling something under a 3.5. However at a state school you are less likely to get a better score on your standardized graduate school test (LSAT, GMAT, MCAT) because you will be exposed to a much more rigorous curriculum and be bombarded with way more information, this is where the ivy league kid has the advantage. 

you might have an easier time finding a job with a degree from ucla or berkeley, but I dont think there would be much difference in salaries

you might have an easier time finding a job with a degree from ucla or berkeley, but I dont think there would be much difference in salaries

Basically the less prestigious school you go to the more you have to be able to market yourself and network. You also should attempt to be at the top of the class at your school if possible if you choose a "lesser" school. It's the old Big Fish in a small pond versus Small Fish in a big pond scenario. The Big Fish in the small pond route worked for me, though it's been quite an interesting ride.

Basically the less prestigious school you go to the more you have to be able to market yourself and network. You also should attempt to be at the top of the class at your school if possible if you choose a "lesser" school. It's the old Big Fish in a small pond versus Small Fish in a big pond scenario. The Big Fish in the small pond route worked for me, though it's been quite an interesting ride.

The only way it matters is the connections and networking that is available to you and what you have to seek out yourself. The alumni network may be stronger at one school than at another, and if you go to the school with the weaker alumni network, UCSD in this case, then you'll have to work a bit harder to market yourself and make those networking connections, but the same could be said at any institution. With the way the economy is and the glut of credentialed graduates out there, who you know is going to make a big difference in getting yourself interviews.

The only way it matters is the connections and networking that is available to you and what you have to seek out yourself. The alumni network may be stronger at one school than at another, and if you go to the school with the weaker alumni network, UCSD in this case, then you'll have to work a bit harder to market yourself and make those networking connections, but the same could be said at any institution. With the way the economy is and the glut of credentialed graduates out there, who you know is going to make a big difference in getting yourself interviews.

As someone who has actually served on graduate admissions committees at a major university and (gasp!) has a real job...

1. Your undergraduate institution probably won't make a big difference if you are essentially planning on being hired off of your post graduate studies. 
2. If you are already limited in where you can get into because of you GPA, you're in a world of hurt.
3. The school you went to will not affect the salary of a job at all.  However, the school you went to will greatly affect the number and types of jobs that you are invited to interview for.

Back
Top Bottom