Does it matter where i get my B.A degree from?

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Originally Posted by oO Master Chief Oo

This is false.

The information you obtain will matter but a kid getting a 3.9 with a 40+ on his MCAT from an average school will have a better time getting into med school than a kid going to MIT pulling a 3.2.

Basically if you are a communications major that pulls a 4.0 at a state school you will have a better chance than the ivy league kid pulling something under a 3.5. However at a state school you are less likely to get a better score on your standardized graduate school test (LSAT, GMAT, MCAT) because you will be exposed to a much more rigorous curriculum and be bombarded with way more information, this is where the ivy league kid has the advantage. 

You really think grad admissions thinks that a 4.0 at a state school is comparable to. A 3.5 from MIT, prestige is more than the name luminaries teach at these schools, there is more rigor. But ur studying business so
Even though this was hard to read.

Yes, numbers and test scores are paramount to the grad school selection process.

numbers are important...but the 3.5 from MIT isn't getting past the screening level at top tier med schools....while the 4.0 is indeed going to get a 2nd look..
..for the most part...

also depends on your major

minority status.

research experience

gender.

etc.

Originally Posted by oO Master Chief Oo

This is false.

The information you obtain will matter but a kid getting a 3.9 with a 40+ on his MCAT from an average school will have a better time getting into med school than a kid going to MIT pulling a 3.2.

Basically if you are a communications major that pulls a 4.0 at a state school you will have a better chance than the ivy league kid pulling something under a 3.5. However at a state school you are less likely to get a better score on your standardized graduate school test (LSAT, GMAT, MCAT) because you will be exposed to a much more rigorous curriculum and be bombarded with way more information, this is where the ivy league kid has the advantage. 

You really think grad admissions thinks that a 4.0 at a state school is comparable to. A 3.5 from MIT, prestige is more than the name luminaries teach at these schools, there is more rigor. But ur studying business so
Even though this was hard to read.

Yes, numbers and test scores are paramount to the grad school selection process.

numbers are important...but the 3.5 from MIT isn't getting past the screening level at top tier med schools....while the 4.0 is indeed going to get a 2nd look..
..for the most part...

also depends on your major

minority status.

research experience

gender.

etc.

I think law is more appropriate to compare to business than med. Law and business--schools, biglaw, Wall Street, top consulting, are all about prestige. Undergrad sure as hell matters in the law school admission process to top tier schools too. I go to one and a majority of my classmates went to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Stanford. There are students from state schools and a couple top publics sprinkled here and there, but you better believe the latter groups had way higher GPA's than the HYPS students. Whether reliable or not, people look at undergrad institution as one signal of how smart you are and how much your GPA means. So strict numbers aren't all that matter--school and major count big time. In the end though, admissions officers probably won't cut the HYPS kids more than 0.3 slack on their GPA's, and will pretty much require 4.0's from any less prestigious schools.
As for getting a job, speaking as someone who has went through the hiring process, undergrad matters less, but it still matters. You'll get a few more employers' attention, say, if you went to the same undergrad as them. It's something to get them to pull your resume out of the pile and to talk about during the interview. Also you can score points if you go to a less prestigious grad school than your undergrad school, because firms still put that information on their website. It's all about the name brand when marketing to clients who will probably prefer "Princeton grads" over state school grads holding grad school constant. Finally, if your grades aren't so hot in grad school, but your undergrad was super prestigious, you can get a little edge, again because of the marketing value of a prestigious school.

To address this post directly, all of this is moot because UCLA is not relevantly more prestigious than UCSD. You'll be fine at UCSD. Just do well and test well. The only thing you'll be missing is the UCLA network, which might not matter depending on when you want to work. Also, employers look at grad school like people will go to the best one they get into. As for undergrad, I think that's less the case--convenience/close to home arguments seem to slide. So talking in terms of "smart signals," under is not the be-all-end-all by any means.

One last thing undergrad is good for is to make a geographical argument to an employer. Say you do go to UCSD but then you go to Harvard or something for grad school. If you want to work in San Diego when you graduate, you will be very popular with San Diego employers for having gone to UCSD. If they see your resume next to some Yale undergrad who also went to Harvard, they're less likely to think you're just spamming the whole country with resumes and wouldn't work there if given an offer. The "why do you want to work here" question is bound to come up in any interview, and having ties to the area is huge. One way to have ties to an area is obviously going to undergrad there.

I think law is more appropriate to compare to business than med. Law and business--schools, biglaw, Wall Street, top consulting, are all about prestige. Undergrad sure as hell matters in the law school admission process to top tier schools too. I go to one and a majority of my classmates went to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Stanford. There are students from state schools and a couple top publics sprinkled here and there, but you better believe the latter groups had way higher GPA's than the HYPS students. Whether reliable or not, people look at undergrad institution as one signal of how smart you are and how much your GPA means. So strict numbers aren't all that matter--school and major count big time. In the end though, admissions officers probably won't cut the HYPS kids more than 0.3 slack on their GPA's, and will pretty much require 4.0's from any less prestigious schools.
As for getting a job, speaking as someone who has went through the hiring process, undergrad matters less, but it still matters. You'll get a few more employers' attention, say, if you went to the same undergrad as them. It's something to get them to pull your resume out of the pile and to talk about during the interview. Also you can score points if you go to a less prestigious grad school than your undergrad school, because firms still put that information on their website. It's all about the name brand when marketing to clients who will probably prefer "Princeton grads" over state school grads holding grad school constant. Finally, if your grades aren't so hot in grad school, but your undergrad was super prestigious, you can get a little edge, again because of the marketing value of a prestigious school.

To address this post directly, all of this is moot because UCLA is not relevantly more prestigious than UCSD. You'll be fine at UCSD. Just do well and test well. The only thing you'll be missing is the UCLA network, which might not matter depending on when you want to work. Also, employers look at grad school like people will go to the best one they get into. As for undergrad, I think that's less the case--convenience/close to home arguments seem to slide. So talking in terms of "smart signals," under is not the be-all-end-all by any means.

One last thing undergrad is good for is to make a geographical argument to an employer. Say you do go to UCSD but then you go to Harvard or something for grad school. If you want to work in San Diego when you graduate, you will be very popular with San Diego employers for having gone to UCSD. If they see your resume next to some Yale undergrad who also went to Harvard, they're less likely to think you're just spamming the whole country with resumes and wouldn't work there if given an offer. The "why do you want to work here" question is bound to come up in any interview, and having ties to the area is huge. One way to have ties to an area is obviously going to undergrad there.

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

As someone who has actually served on graduate admissions committees at a major university and (gasp!) has a real job...

1. Your undergraduate institution probably won't make a big difference if you are essentially planning on being hired off of your post graduate studies. 
2. If you are already limited in where you can get into because of you GPA, you're in a world of hurt.
3. The school you went to will not affect the salary of a job at all.  However, the school you went to will greatly affect the number and types of jobs that you are invited to interview for.
QFT

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

As someone who has actually served on graduate admissions committees at a major university and (gasp!) has a real job...

1. Your undergraduate institution probably won't make a big difference if you are essentially planning on being hired off of your post graduate studies. 
2. If you are already limited in where you can get into because of you GPA, you're in a world of hurt.
3. The school you went to will not affect the salary of a job at all.  However, the school you went to will greatly affect the number and types of jobs that you are invited to interview for.
QFT

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

If you want to go to graduate school then your undergraduate school will play a role in the admissions process.

This is false.

kind of hard to compare two kids when you're giving one of them a handicap.
how about both kids have a 3.9 and 40+ MCAT, but one is from MIT while the other is from UConn. which one has a better chance of getting into med school? So I would say that school prestige plays a role in admissions, but it wont necessarily be the deciding factor.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

If you want to go to graduate school then your undergraduate school will play a role in the admissions process.

This is false.

kind of hard to compare two kids when you're giving one of them a handicap.
how about both kids have a 3.9 and 40+ MCAT, but one is from MIT while the other is from UConn. which one has a better chance of getting into med school? So I would say that school prestige plays a role in admissions, but it wont necessarily be the deciding factor.

I currently am at UCSD and starting my final quarter here tomorrow. My major is economics with an accounting minor. It doesnt matter that you didnt get into UCLA because UCSD is almost as good in economics. I suggest going here, and just networking, getting an internship and trying to figure out what you really want to do.

I currently am at UCSD and starting my final quarter here tomorrow. My major is economics with an accounting minor. It doesnt matter that you didnt get into UCLA because UCSD is almost as good in economics. I suggest going here, and just networking, getting an internship and trying to figure out what you really want to do.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

Basically the less prestigious school you go to the more you have to be able to market yourself and network. You also should attempt to be at the top of the class at your school if possible if you choose a "lesser" school. It's the old Big Fish in a small pond versus Small Fish in a big pond scenario. The Big Fish in the small pond route worked for me, though it's been quite an interesting ride.
This right here. I'm at an HBCU in the shadow of 3 well known schools, right now I'm networking with people at these other schools and getting out there to see what it takes.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

Basically the less prestigious school you go to the more you have to be able to market yourself and network. You also should attempt to be at the top of the class at your school if possible if you choose a "lesser" school. It's the old Big Fish in a small pond versus Small Fish in a big pond scenario. The Big Fish in the small pond route worked for me, though it's been quite an interesting ride.
This right here. I'm at an HBCU in the shadow of 3 well known schools, right now I'm networking with people at these other schools and getting out there to see what it takes.

yea no one is talking about med school im referring to business school a 3.5 from; wharton, sloan or booth is diff from a 4.0 at a public state school

yea no one is talking about med school im referring to business school a 3.5 from; wharton, sloan or booth is diff from a 4.0 at a public state school

I transferred from Weber State University to Th University of Utah and this joint is almost literally 10 times harder. I always wondered what the correlation was in regards to moving forward
nerd.gif

I transferred from Weber State University to Th University of Utah and this joint is almost literally 10 times harder. I always wondered what the correlation was in regards to moving forward
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom