Does this shatter the "Eating healthy is too expensive" myth?

I've always felt like even it is more expensive, it's worth it. It's your health after all. You're gonna end up paying for it later on. But this here?

20110925_BITTMAN_MARSHgph-popup.jpg

pimp.gif

Not everyone has to buy organic, which is clearly a whole lot healthier and a whole lot more expensive than the stuff up there, but if more people just knew how to cook for themselves and not be lazy then the obesity problem wouldn't be so bad. Even genetically modified vegetables are better for you than genetically modified cheeseburgers

I think its more than "cost"

most people like that convenience of just running to the local McDonalds and buying something quick.
if you take out maybe a couple hours per week to cook you can save A LOT of money.

buying in bulk helps too

And how are you going to compare food that is fully prepared and cooked versus the super market price just to by the materials? This is quite silly.

Agreed 4 frozen burger ($4) , buns ($3, frozen fries ($3.5) and a 2 liter ($1.5) are probably less than those meals. My estimates are probably over too.

"Healthy" eating is subjective.

You can make anything up there fit into your diet/macros etc.

It isn't that eating healthy is expensive, the reality is it it's not convenient, fast food is. So I'm gonna keep eating it until my lady moves in.

If you're posting fast food you should post healthy fast food. Not everyone has the time to buy healthy food and cook it.

Chicken Caesar Salad approx $6.50
Two McDoubles, small fries, small drink approx $4

That's just one example. Eating healthy is not cheap no matter how you slice it.

being vegan and eating mostyly organic comes out to about the same as eating trashy food and eating meat/eggs/dairy

if youre a juicer tho then youre gunna be spending a little more than average... A lot more if youre juicing organic

laugh.gif
People I know that eat that crap daily are always broke.

I tell them all the time how much cheaper it is to cook for yourself.

Eating healthy ain't cheap. Eating vegan is even more expensive. But to me, it's all worth it.

My main problem is staying stocked with produce. I go to the grocery store probably 3 times a week minimum because of all the fruits/veggies I buy.

Eating healthy can be very cheap if you know how to cook and prepare enough to be eaten for 2-3 seperate meals during the week.

People don't have time to cook but they have time to drive out and purchase fast food? It's not like every healthy meal takes an hour to cook.

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

People don't have time to cook but they have time to drive out and purchase fast food? It's not like every healthy meal takes an hour to cook.
You serious? Generally you're already out and since there are no shortage of fast food joints, you can drive through or walk in and only take an extra maybe 5 minutes as opposed to the amount of time preparing food would cost, plus it's an unfair comparison to begin with comparing precooked food to preparing yourself in terms of cost. The convenience of it being ready is part of what you pay for.

A better comparison would be like McDonald's versus a store bought rotisserie chicken, house chicken salad, and deli items. But that would completely redirect the conversation.

Like someone else said, the trick is just preparing a few days worth of food at once, add in some things like yogurts, prepacked nuts (otherwise you'd eat too many), fresh produce is obviously grab and go, and it's not totally impossible to eat healthy for cheap and convenient. One of my favorite recipes is making white chicken chili or my own chicken salad out of chicken breasts which are like damn near perfect in terms of being healthy but totally bland.

Back
Top Bottom