**Dog Owners - What else do I need for my puppy?**

My girlfriend and I just got a 2.5 month old Jack Russell Terrier yesterday. She has him at her parents now so I'm thinking what else I can pick up tonight.

So far we have:
-Crate
-Collar/Leash
-Food/Box of treats
-Flea comb (he was treated and seems to be clear, but just in case)
-A small duck toy and a rawhide
-Some soap and vitamin stuff my neighbor gave us.
-Small jacket

I know we need to get him tags made and a traveling case. What else?

164834_10150129463417565_599837564_7944562_6036686_n.jpg

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
HELP

My girlfriend and I just got a 2.5 month old Jack Russell Terrier yesterday. She has him at her parents now so I'm thinking what else I can pick up tonight.

So far we have:
-Crate
-Collar/Leash
-Food/Box of treats
-Small jacket

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
HELP

cute dog! you might wanna get some training pads in case the dog needs to take a dump or something (if he's an indoor dog.)

shampoo

maybe some nature's miracle if he pees on carpet

cute dog! you might wanna get some training pads in case the dog needs to take a dump or something (if he's an indoor dog.)

shampoo

maybe some nature's miracle if he pees on carpet

Originally Posted by ASchwartz44

So far we have:
-Crate
-Collar/Leash
-Food/Box of treats
-Small jacket

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
HELP
His own:
dog house
FB account
Fragrances so he doesn't smell and get him some jays.

So far we have:
-Crate
-Collar/Leash
-Food/Box of treats
-Small jacket

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
HELP
His own:
dog house
FB account

Originally Posted by solematic j21

A jets jersey
Sadly his pops still reps for the Bills
ohwell.gif
Maybe he needs a Fitzpatrick jersey.

Those puppy pads are a good one. Don't want him to rely on them though.

Originally Posted by solematic j21

A jets jersey
Sadly his pops still reps for the Bills
ohwell.gif
Maybe he needs a Fitzpatrick jersey.

Those puppy pads are a good one. Don't want him to rely on them though.

^yeah, but sometimes you need to have them around when it rains. I have a pitbull and she's scared to pee or poop in the rain lol so she goes inside.

^yeah, but sometimes you need to have them around when it rains. I have a pitbull and she's scared to pee or poop in the rain lol so she goes inside.

Originally Posted by Ginzo

So far we have:
-Crate
-Collar/Leash
-Food/Box of treats
-Small jacket

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
HELP
His own:
dog house
FB account

^^^^^invest in shelves if you dont already have some for your kicks. i make it KNOWN my dog isnt allowed in my closet. she gets uber scared when she gets caught trying to go in there. be strict.

best way to train for a kennel (for future when u gotta leave 'em for work/school/errands); at bedtime put them in the kennel (not too much bigger than the dog or they will pee and crap in the corner (cheating)). do NOT let them out until you get up in the AM to pee, yourself. i seriously did this for the first year and now i have no troubles, unless she is sick. it's not easy to do - but it is one of the best ways.

definately get that miracle spray (white and red bottle) for carpets - even tile or wood.

and i would consider a small set of stairs for the bed if it is high. a lot of dogs get dislocated hips/legs from jumping so much.
happy.gif

PS...yes - get a harness. a COMFORTABLE one - their chest/neck are very soft, and get cut easily if using a cheap harness. good call, whoever just mentioned that.

Originally Posted by Ginzo

So far we have:
-Crate
-Collar/Leash
-Food/Box of treats
-Small jacket

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
HELP
His own:
dog house
FB account

^^^^^invest in shelves if you dont already have some for your kicks. i make it KNOWN my dog isnt allowed in my closet. she gets uber scared when she gets caught trying to go in there. be strict.

best way to train for a kennel (for future when u gotta leave 'em for work/school/errands); at bedtime put them in the kennel (not too much bigger than the dog or they will pee and crap in the corner (cheating)). do NOT let them out until you get up in the AM to pee, yourself. i seriously did this for the first year and now i have no troubles, unless she is sick. it's not easy to do - but it is one of the best ways.

definately get that miracle spray (white and red bottle) for carpets - even tile or wood.

and i would consider a small set of stairs for the bed if it is high. a lot of dogs get dislocated hips/legs from jumping so much.
happy.gif

PS...yes - get a harness. a COMFORTABLE one - their chest/neck are very soft, and get cut easily if using a cheap harness. good call, whoever just mentioned that.

^Good stuff. I have the sneakers all on shelves now so that's no issue. My girl got the crate today and if she could fit it in her coupe, I doubt its big.

I didn't think of the harness. That big of a difference? There were so many collars we just assumed it was the norm.
embarassed.gif
Also, I have all hardwood and tile but there should probably be a spray for that too.

Keep it coming guys! Much Appreciated!

^Good stuff. I have the sneakers all on shelves now so that's no issue. My girl got the crate today and if she could fit it in her coupe, I doubt its big.

I didn't think of the harness. That big of a difference? There were so many collars we just assumed it was the norm.
embarassed.gif
Also, I have all hardwood and tile but there should probably be a spray for that too.

Keep it coming guys! Much Appreciated!

damn i havent been on NT in months but slow day at work, and saw a puppy related thread so i had to jump in.

i just got my first puppy last month as a x-mas present to myself.  She was a 9 week old Olde English Bulldogge when I brought her home.  Heres a pic of her at 10+ weeks.

I know you dont want to get the puppy pads, but I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it.  I live in a condo so I dont have a yard that I can let my pup go relieve herself.  Since she hasnt had her full set of shots yet, I dont let her walk around in public or go on grass, so she has to go to the bathroom on my patio/balcony.  She is at 14 weeks old right now, and she still has some difficulties going to the bathroom in unfamiliar areas (since I dont really let her go out in unfamiliar areas) so whenever I have to be out of my house for an extended period of time, i will bring a few puppy pads with me cause it lets her know that its bathroom time.

I'm not 100% sure if it only pertains to bulldog breeds, but I was told by the breeder and my vet NOT to give my pup any rawhide treats.  Something about them either choking on it, or not being able to digest them properly yet?  You might want to doublecheck with your vet before allowing your pup to chew on rawhide.

Heres some other stuff that I got for my pup that may be useful

Toys, Toys, Toys - I try to keep the toys on rotation cause she gets bored of em real quick.  I probably have around 8-10 different toys for her, but ill put them up on the shelf and only let her play with 3-4 at a time.  You might want to get a rope type of toy which is good for the pups to chew on, especially when shes about to start losing her baby teeth.  My pup really seems to enjoy things that make a lot of noise.  One of her favorite "toys" is a metal potlid that she likes to kick around since it makes a loud ruckus (I have hardwood floors and stone throughout).  She also really likes empty plastic water bottles cause of the crunching noise it makes.  Careful with the water bottles though.  Dogs can eventually chew right through em.  Be sure to supervise her when shes playing with stuff like that.  In addition to the fake toys, my pup seems to like really soft cotton filled squeaker toys too.  I guess just experiment with different types as different dogs will prefer different toys

Water/Food Bowl - I'm assuming you got one but just didnt list it, but just in case you forgot.  I went stainless steel on both.  I actually got a plastic water bowl at first but that was a waste.  My pup was constantly chewing on it and/or would tip it over any chance she got.  I switched it up for a no-tip S/S water bowl and thats worked out much better.

Paper Towels - Its just me and the wife (and now the pup) at home, so we hardly if ever shopped at Costco, but I've had to start going there for paper towels.  It might be different for you, if you are letting your dog go bathroom in an enclosed yard.  Since my dog goes potty on my patio/balcony, i am constantly having to pick up the poop and/or wiping up the pee if she misses the pad.  After wiping up the pee, i burn through a ton more towels washing the area down with Natures Miracle.

Bedding - Dont really need to buy bedding.  I just used old throw blankets and towels and had a handful on rotation.  I know each dog is different, but the whole "dogs dont like to pee where they sleep" is not 100% fact.  The first few days after I brought my pup home she would piss and poo in her crate like it aint no thang.  She eventually learned that she was going to be uncomfortable as hell laying in her own piss, but until then I was doing loads of doggy laundry daily.

Pet Insurance - no joke, ive had my pup now for a little over a month, and I've probably spent damn near 4 grand already (including the cost of the dog).  Vet bills are no joke.  I know that bullys seem to be more susceptible to health issues than Jack Russells might be, but I just feel like all puppies in general are susceptible to illness and infections since their immune systems havent fully developed.

If youre going to be crate training, I dont know if you really need a seperate bed or house.  My pup will sleep in her crate (setup next to our bed) at night.  During the day when shes taking naps, she will either go into her crate or sleep on one of several old pillows I have in different rooms of the house.  Don't go overboard with the spending.  Just buy as you go along.  The first couple of weeks are going to be ROUGH, but you'll get the hang of it sooner than later.  For me personally it was really tough cause both me and my wife work fulltime so our pup is at home crated for most of the day.  The first weekend we brought her home, I probably got about 8-10 hours of sleep over the course of 3 nights, most of it on the hard ground and only in 45 minute shifts.  Damn that was rough.

damn i havent been on NT in months but slow day at work, and saw a puppy related thread so i had to jump in.

i just got my first puppy last month as a x-mas present to myself.  She was a 9 week old Olde English Bulldogge when I brought her home.  Heres a pic of her at 10+ weeks.

I know you dont want to get the puppy pads, but I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it.  I live in a condo so I dont have a yard that I can let my pup go relieve herself.  Since she hasnt had her full set of shots yet, I dont let her walk around in public or go on grass, so she has to go to the bathroom on my patio/balcony.  She is at 14 weeks old right now, and she still has some difficulties going to the bathroom in unfamiliar areas (since I dont really let her go out in unfamiliar areas) so whenever I have to be out of my house for an extended period of time, i will bring a few puppy pads with me cause it lets her know that its bathroom time.

I'm not 100% sure if it only pertains to bulldog breeds, but I was told by the breeder and my vet NOT to give my pup any rawhide treats.  Something about them either choking on it, or not being able to digest them properly yet?  You might want to doublecheck with your vet before allowing your pup to chew on rawhide.

Heres some other stuff that I got for my pup that may be useful

Toys, Toys, Toys - I try to keep the toys on rotation cause she gets bored of em real quick.  I probably have around 8-10 different toys for her, but ill put them up on the shelf and only let her play with 3-4 at a time.  You might want to get a rope type of toy which is good for the pups to chew on, especially when shes about to start losing her baby teeth.  My pup really seems to enjoy things that make a lot of noise.  One of her favorite "toys" is a metal potlid that she likes to kick around since it makes a loud ruckus (I have hardwood floors and stone throughout).  She also really likes empty plastic water bottles cause of the crunching noise it makes.  Careful with the water bottles though.  Dogs can eventually chew right through em.  Be sure to supervise her when shes playing with stuff like that.  In addition to the fake toys, my pup seems to like really soft cotton filled squeaker toys too.  I guess just experiment with different types as different dogs will prefer different toys

Water/Food Bowl - I'm assuming you got one but just didnt list it, but just in case you forgot.  I went stainless steel on both.  I actually got a plastic water bowl at first but that was a waste.  My pup was constantly chewing on it and/or would tip it over any chance she got.  I switched it up for a no-tip S/S water bowl and thats worked out much better.

Paper Towels - Its just me and the wife (and now the pup) at home, so we hardly if ever shopped at Costco, but I've had to start going there for paper towels.  It might be different for you, if you are letting your dog go bathroom in an enclosed yard.  Since my dog goes potty on my patio/balcony, i am constantly having to pick up the poop and/or wiping up the pee if she misses the pad.  After wiping up the pee, i burn through a ton more towels washing the area down with Natures Miracle.

Bedding - Dont really need to buy bedding.  I just used old throw blankets and towels and had a handful on rotation.  I know each dog is different, but the whole "dogs dont like to pee where they sleep" is not 100% fact.  The first few days after I brought my pup home she would piss and poo in her crate like it aint no thang.  She eventually learned that she was going to be uncomfortable as hell laying in her own piss, but until then I was doing loads of doggy laundry daily.

Pet Insurance - no joke, ive had my pup now for a little over a month, and I've probably spent damn near 4 grand already (including the cost of the dog).  Vet bills are no joke.  I know that bullys seem to be more susceptible to health issues than Jack Russells might be, but I just feel like all puppies in general are susceptible to illness and infections since their immune systems havent fully developed.

If youre going to be crate training, I dont know if you really need a seperate bed or house.  My pup will sleep in her crate (setup next to our bed) at night.  During the day when shes taking naps, she will either go into her crate or sleep on one of several old pillows I have in different rooms of the house.  Don't go overboard with the spending.  Just buy as you go along.  The first couple of weeks are going to be ROUGH, but you'll get the hang of it sooner than later.  For me personally it was really tough cause both me and my wife work fulltime so our pup is at home crated for most of the day.  The first weekend we brought her home, I probably got about 8-10 hours of sleep over the course of 3 nights, most of it on the hard ground and only in 45 minute shifts.  Damn that was rough.

Back
Top Bottom