Dolphins agree to deal with Long, will select OT No. 1 overall

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3358424

The Miami Dolphins have reached a contract agreement with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long and will select him with the No. 1 overall pick in Saturday's draft, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The announcement will come at a 1:45 p.m. ET news conference.

Despite speculation that Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells really had planned to select Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston or Virginia defensive end Chris Long, sources told ESPN's Michael Smith that since the Dolphins opened negotiations with Jake Long they were talking to him exclusively.

Long, a 6-foot-7, 313-pound senior who moved to left tackle in 2006 and started his final 26 games, was an All-America selection and Big Ten lineman of the year in each of his last two seasons.

Offensive line is considered the biggest need for the Dolphins, who went 1-15 last year.

i think its a good move. you have to protect the QB to have any chance in this league and this guy will do that

^Russell got $32 million in guarantees last year so expect something in that neighborhood. Paying that kind of dough for a right tackle though?

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

^Russell got $32 million in guarantees last year so expect something in that neighborhood. Paying that kind of dough for a right tackle though?

Yeah, that's why I asked. I was hearing that they didnt want to pay nowhere near that for him.

*sigh*

Well, it's not sexy, but with a million holes to fill, what can you expect? Can't draft ten players with just one pick.

Shouldn't someone start the official NFL Draft thread now that the 1st pick is official? Just sayin...

Originally Posted by TheGift23

Shouldn't someone start the official NFL Draft thread now that the 1st pick is official? Just sayin...

I updated that Pre Draft one we got goin now.

I think he got like 5 years, $57 million with $30 million guarenteed. That's what I heard on Sirius Radio so the numbers may be off. Listening to them,that's a great deal for Long, because if he lives up to being a dominant tackle then he's renegotiating in 4 years.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Boooo...

Emmitt said Matt Ryan was going #1

and #8 too...

I like this move for the Dolphins... their QB's were shook on every play last year... then again, Cleo Lemon is shook when hes makin toast in the morning
smh.gif
you gotta start somewhere and i guess this is probably the best place to do so

Originally Posted by paidndade

I think he got like 5 years, $57 million with $30 million guaranteed. That's what I heard on Sirius Radio so the numbers may be off. Listening to them, that's a great deal for Long, because if he lives up to being a dominant tackle then he's renegotiating in 4 years.

ya that's exactly what the deal is.

damn, 30 mill guaranteed,
eek.gif
for an LT

nothing you can do though, when you were the worst team last year,
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

I think he got like 5 years, $57 million with $30 million guaranteed. That's what I heard on Sirius Radio so the numbers may be off. Listening to them, that's a great deal for Long, because if he lives up to being a dominant tackle then he's renegotiating in 4 years.

I think I'm going to cry for the rest of the night.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Now I wonder where we go in round two with out picks. We need

WR
CB
S
DL
DT
OG
QB
WR
CB
K
OT
DT
DL
TO
LS
SS
FS
WR
RB
FB
QB
QB
QB

Other then that, we're good.

smh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

frown.gif
frown.gif

WR
CB
S
DL
DT
OG
QB
WR
CB
K
OT
DT
DL
TO
LS
SS
FS
WR
RB
FB
QB
QB
QB

Other then that, we're good.

smh.gif
Damn.
laugh.gif

5 years, $57 million with $30 million guarenteed.

roll.gif
This is just stupid. Something needs to be done. $11M a year for aguy who hasn't played a down? And a LT for that matter? A QB goes #1 next year, and he's probably asking for $14M/year with $35M guaranteed.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

the dolphins will almost certainly play him at left tackle. i don't think bill parcells would let the team draft him #1 and give him that muchmoney to play right tackle.

i do agree that the biggest question with jake long will be his ability to play left tackle in the NFL, but i think he'll be a very good left tackle. notelite by any means, but very good. i do think he'd be a great right tackle though. at the very least, he has the versatility to play both.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

5 years, $57 million with $30 million guarenteed.

roll.gif
This is just stupid. Something needs to be done. $11M a year for a guy who hasn't played a down? And a LT for that matter? A QB goes #1 next year, and he's probably asking for $14M/year with $35M guaranteed.

I agree. The contracts these players get right away are ridiculous.

Originally Posted by CP1708

frown.gif
frown.gif

WR
CB
S
DL
DT
OG
QB
WR
CB