Dolphins GM apologizes to Dez Bryant for inappropriate questions. Vol. Where's Tony Stark?

Miami Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland apologized to Dallas Cowboys first-round draft pick Dez Bryant on Tuesday for asking whether his mother was a prostitute during a pre-draft visit.
David Wells, Bryant's advisor, told ESPNDallas.com on Tuesday that the former Oklahoma State wide receiver was asked about his mother during a visit to the Dolphins in March, prior to the NFL draft, as reported by Yahoo! Sports last week.

On Tuesday, Yahoo! Sports revealed that it was Ireland who asked the question to Bryant.

Wells and Bryant declined further comment.

"My job is to find out as much information as possible about a player that I'm considering drafting. Sometimes that leads to asking in-depth questions," Ireland said Tuesday in a statement released by the Dolphins. "Having said that, I talked to Dez Bryant and told him I used poor judgment in one of the questions I asked him. I certainly meant no disrespect and apologized to him."

Ireland received permission from the Cowboys front office to speak with Bryant on Tuesday.

Yahoo! Sports reported last week that during one of his pre-draft visits, Bryant was asked by a high-level executive of one NFL franchise -- during a extensive conversation about Bryant's past -- whether his mother, Angela, was a prostitute.

"No, my mom is not a prostitute," Bryant told Yahoo! Sports. "I got mad -- really mad -- but I didn't show it. I got a lot of questions like that: Does she still do drugs? I sat and answered all of them."

The background of Bryant and his mother -- including her lifestyle and past legal troubles -- were widely reported prior to the draft. Angela was only 15 when Dez was born, and she served time in jail for selling crack cocaine.

http://sports.espn.go.com...fl/news/story?id=5140313
He ain't apologizing because he realized how stupid and demeaning the questions were...he's just sorry it was made public and his $%$ got shown out.
smh.gif

Let's say he would have answered "yes"...is that supposed to change how you evaluate him?
eyes.gif

I wanna hear from those who (still) don't see what's wrong...
Spoiler [+]
The problem is you don't have a clue and I will tell you why.

Because no one has even brought up the process.

To understand why the question was asked, you need to understand the mentality that it takes to work in a front office for a major professional sports team.

Which you don't.

Genius.
laugh.gif

Like Mike Wilbon said....Dez would've been "within his rights to reach across that table and bash that man's head in"

It's a good thing he didn't though, because people would hold it against him even more.

Just another man in a position of power who thinks he can do/say whatever he wants.

This was discussed yesterday in the offseason thread.

I dont agree nor do I like what was asked. There's no excuse for that

Dez and Ireland have talked and put this behind them. 

This story is being blown alil bit out of proportion. Also, in a  pot calling the kettle black moment, he calls the GM classless but proceeds to call him a a-class a-hole and goes to Kyle Turley of all ppl for quotes?

Again, I dont agree nor do I like what was asked. The question was not right and inappropriate.  

It figures it would be my damn team doin that @#$% 
smh.gif
tired.gif

What a stupid move, and I'm embarrassed that it's my team would do something like that.  I have no issues with Dez doing us for 200 and 3TD's everytime he plays us in the future. 

These NFL teams should start working for the damn government with the digging they do now and the questions they ask these guys.

now you see what I was getting at.

If this was a necessary evil, every team would have asked. the NFL security is basically the FBI, the info would have been known to EVERYONE in the NFL

quick question, do you think Tim Tebow was asked his Mother was a prostitute? If his mom cheated on her Husband?

the guy asked that question because he knew he had the power to ask that, If dez reacts, he sends a negative report out to the press, at worst, its all over the News for Dez beatin his *$%.

ill, I hope you noticed I didnt even bother to reply to that stupid response in the original thread ... 
laugh.gif

there's a reason every major business school in America offers Ethics classes.

pimp.gif
Kyle Turley

“I don’t care who you are or who you’re talking to – that kind of question usually gets your [expletive] teeth kicked in,

GUNNA GET IT wrote:
quick question, do you think Tim Tebow was asked his Mother was a prostitute? If his mom cheated on her Husband?

the guy asked that question because he knew he had the power to ask that, If dez reacts, he sends a negative report out to the press, at worst, its all over the News for Dez beatin his *$%.

A.  You cant compare Tebow to this situation.  These differences between these two individuals is massive.

B.  I highly doubt he was thinking "Hmm, if I ask this question and he beats me up it will give him a negative image in the press.  Yeah, ill ask it!"  

laugh.gif
I was talkin about this on another board yesterday, and literally everybody said they'd have reached across the table and smacked dude...

Look, you wanna poke me and throw the book at me to try and get a reaction? Fine. I can handle that... But flat out asking if my mother is a prostitute? Nah, you're getting smacked...

A.  You cant compare Tebow to this situation.  These differences between these two individuals is massive.

Why not though?  Its obvious with this line of questioning that nothing is off limits.  Why didnt he ask Tebow if his mother had a train run on her in the Phillipines by the natives.  Ireland is a chump, he should be punished by The Commish.

I've heard A LOT of people say that the reason this question was raised to Dez was because his mother was in trouble with the law earlier in her life for carrying drugs or something of that sort. Didn't hear the whole charge.

How you justify that question with that illogical reasoning is BEYOND me.

I'll defend Ireland.

Bryant will hear (and probably already has heard) far worse things on and off the field. Ireland was emulating those classless fans, players, etc. that will try to provoke Bryant by making comments about his mom's known previous situation. This aint college no more. This is the NFL. You are representing a franchise, an organization, a team, your city, etc.. If this dude is flying off the handle at little comments like that then he will only bring bad publicity to the team. (Not to mention in-game penalties)

We see how the public cries for the death penalty when a star athlete does so much as get a speeding ticket..
ohwell.gif

This is getting blown way out of proportion. Ireland doesn't give 2 *!!*# if this dude mom turnin tricks. He just care how he's gonna handle himself as a representative of his organization and himself.

P.S.
I hate when these athletes and public figures just apologize for damage control. I understand you gotta swallow your pride for the greater good but come on.. Just tell it like it is. %!++ the court of public opinion

If this dude is flying off the handle at little comments like that

Dude asked if his mother was a *!%+$, people have been assaulted for less.  That aitn no little comment.

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

I'll defend Ireland.

Bryant will hear (and probably already has heard) far worse things on and off the field. Ireland was emulating those classless fans, players, etc. that will try to provoke Bryant by making comments about his mom's known previous situation. This aint college no more. This is the NFL. You are representing a franchise, an organization, a team, your city, etc.. If this dude is flying off the handle at little comments like that then he will only bring bad publicity to the team. (Not to mention in-game penalties)nion
I guarantee you he's heard just about everything imaginable from drunk college kids... Having seen him in action more than once, I can assure you he's heard stuff as bad as this at games.

Back
Top Bottom