Doms.Restorations - Im Back!! Updates on the last page! IG: Doms.restorations

Hey man, it looks like you are answering questions so I am going to take this chance to ask an expert at it! I have recently become interested in the art of restoration and , as a bored teen in the summer with absolutely nothing to do, I want to try to learn how to restore and get into the restoration business. However, I am wondering how I can start out? What are the absolute basic materials I need? What are some of the most basic tutorials I can watch? Sorry for the abundance of questions, I am just a really curious person,  Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks so much man! I made the mixture you suggested and placed them outside in the morning for an hour at a time. Did 2 sessions only on the toe and they were pearly white! The first time was already white enough, but the extra didn't hurt. I'll upload some pics.
pimp.gif
x100
Hey man, it looks like you are answering questions so I am going to take this chance to ask an expert at it! I have recently become interested in the art of restoration and , as a bored teen in the summer with absolutely nothing to do, I want to try to learn how to restore and get into the restoration business. However, I am wondering how I can start out? What are the absolute basic materials I need? What are some of the most basic tutorials I can watch? Sorry for the abundance of questions, I am just a really curious person,  Thanks again!
By all means, I`m definitely no expert but I can give you a little advice from my past experiences,

To be honest, If you check my original posts in this thread, I never intended for this to become a "Business" I still don't think it is,

and to be frank, I dont even like using the word.  Restoring sneakers is my hobby, It just so happened that a few members from this board that live

close to me asked if I would work on some shoes of theirs, and it spread from there (Shout out to Adam, Jay and Jason!)  For now, I would focus on learning and experimenting as much as you can before you even try to work on someone elses shoe.  Just because you need to practice and smooth out all your techniques.  How can you start out?  Start reading, browsing restoration threads, watching youtube videos and applying what you learn on some beat up shoes of yours, or just buy a mangled pair on ebay, and use it as your test pair (Which is what I initially did)  For basic materials, I made a post on page 6 of this thread of the basic supplies I used, of course, as you learn more and more, you`ll discover there's way more products and techniques for doing different things but that list is a good start. 

Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions dont hesitate to ask!

pimp.gif
x100

By all means, I`m definitely no expert but I can give you a little advice from my past experiences,

To be honest, If you check my original posts in this thread, I never intended for this to become a "Business" I still don't think it is,

and to be frank, I dont even like using the word.  Restoring sneakers is my hobby, It just so happened that a few members from this board that live

close to me asked if I would work on some shoes of theirs, and it spread from there (Shout out to Adam, Jay and Jason!)  For now, I would focus on learning and experimenting as much as you can before you even try to work on someone elses shoe.  Just because you need to practice and smooth out all your techniques.  How can you start out?  Start reading, browsing restoration threads, watching youtube videos and applying what you learn on some beat up shoes of yours, or just buy a mangled pair on ebay, and use it as your test pair (Which is what I initially did)  For basic materials, I made a post on page 6 of this thread of the basic supplies I used, of course, as you learn more and more, you`ll discover there's way more products and techniques for doing different things but that list is a good start. 

Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions dont hesitate to ask!
Well, I think you are being modest and while you may not think you are an expert, I think you are doing a damn fine job at what you are doing. And yeah I feel it, I didn't want to call it the restore game or something so I just decided to call it that haha. I really want to pick it up as a hobby and bring back to life some of the beaters that my friends. And your supply list looks absolutely amazing, literally everything I need is laid out in simple pictures so I thank you for that. Is there any sneaker restoring channels or videos you reccomend? Because when I google it, there seems to be a vast amount of videos about restoration and I am not sure which ones to watch.

Well, I think you are being modest and while you may not think you are an expert, I think you are doing a damn fine job at what you are doing. And yeah I feel it, I didn't want to call it the restore game or something so I just decided to call it that haha. I really want to pick it up as a hobby and bring back to life some of the beaters that my friends. And your supply list looks absolutely amazing, literally everything I need is laid out in simple pictures so I thank you for that. Is there any sneaker restoring channels or videos you reccomend? Because when I google it, there seems to be a vast amount of videos about restoration and I am not sure which ones to watch.
Thanks for the kind words, Its all a learning process.  Check out RestoreMySneakers Channel on Youtube,

They have some great videos and are very easy to learn from

Thanks for the kind words, Its all a learning process.  Check out RestoreMySneakers Channel on Youtube,

They have some great videos and are very easy to learn from
Perfect, exactly what I was looking for, thanks again! Gonna buy the materials soon and hopefully I can have some friends donate/sell their super beat shoes for me to experiment!

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for, thanks again! Gonna buy the materials soon and hopefully I can have some friends donate/sell their super beat shoes for me to experiment!
Sounds good man,

Looking forward to hearing some updates in the near future!
Hey, does the ironing method work well for deep toebox wrinkles on the side of the box?
It does but side creases are much harder to get rid of, in my experience

Hey Dom,
Can you just walk me through the process of the actual painting. How much of the duller do you use and do you do anything to give the sneakers a matte finish?
I am trying to paint the midsole of 2006 Fire Red IV's and I think I got the prep down but not the actual painting as to how many layers, how long between each one and how to finish the paint job.

Thanks!

Just got these shoes from a friend. How should I go about removing the creases on a suede shoe and remove, what I think are, scuffs from it? In the RMS tutorial for removing creases, it requires water but wouldn't the water ruin the suede? How would I fix the black seen in the 3rd picture? Would it safe to retrobrite the tounge and the sides with the netting? And finally, and I apoligize for the many questions, how many hours at a time should I leave the retrobrite on the yellowed spots before I reapply and repeat?

Last edited:
Hey Dom,
Can you just walk me through the process of the actual painting. How much of the duller do you use and do you do anything to give the sneakers a matte finish?
I am trying to paint the midsole of 2006 Fire Red IV's and I think I got the prep down but not the actual painting as to how many layers, how long between each one and how to finish the paint job.

Thanks!
Hey Yankee,

Try to paint multiple thin layers, and give each coat 10-15 minutes to dry

I use a paint duller I got from angelus and I just put 1-2 drops and mix it with the paint

It still gives off a slight shine, but its toned down a lot
Just got these shoes from a friend. How should I go about removing the creases on a suede shoe and remove, what I think are, scuffs from it? In the RMS tutorial for removing creases, it requires water but wouldn't the water ruin the suede? How would I fix the black seen in the 3rd picture? Would it safe to retrobrite the tounge and the sides with the netting? And finally, and I apoligize for the many questions, how many hours at a time should I leave the retrobrite on the yellowed spots before I reapply and repeat?
Hey TNT,

Try the iron method for removing those suede creases, it doesnt require water so the suede wont be sabotaged,

Stuff the toe really tight, then lay a cloth or thin towel over where the creases are, then run the iron over the towel or cloth like you are ironing

Just make sure the iron doesnt come in direct contact with the suede, or else the heat will destroy the suede

For the scuffs, I recommend lincoln ez cleaner, its a great suede cleaner and should clean up those shoes quite a bit

I have tried to retrobrite side netting on jordan 5s and havent had much success but it seems to work for some people

I know that seaglow works wonders on netting though

As for how long each session should be, if its outside in the sun, I would say no more than 2-4 hours unless they're in a controlled temperature

If its in an indoor setup then you can go anywhere between 3-5 hours

Hey Dom, does the ironing method change the quality in the leather? I wanna iron out the toe box on one of my sneakers and the leather is super soft as is and I don't wanna make them thin out or become hard

What lightbulbs are those and what are the white adapters are you using? 
Reptiglo 5.0 Bulbs, and im not sure about the adapters, I just went to the local hardware store and got them
Hey Dom, does the ironing method change the quality in the leather? I wanna iron out the toe box on one of my sneakers and the leather is super soft as is and I don't wanna make them thin out or become hard
Hey Tkim,

In my experience I havent seen a change in the leather, the only change that I could see happening is the leather possibly getting softer?  But I dont believe it would harden them or make them thin out

Holy! Cant say much bro!!! Insane results on those badboys!!! Cant wait to get my hands on them! Thank u so much man...
Np Jay!

And I still plan on doing 2-3 more sessions on them before we meet up so I`ll try to post up another update before then!

Thanks Rben!
Both of you have always showed love

and its always appreciated! :pimp:

Ps. Canada isnt Tooo far away lol
True but its far enough plus everything cost more lol

Sad but true.

I'm always going to show love though. You're very talented and above all extremely helpful. Not too many folks doing restoration take the time out to explain their processes.

Sad but true.

I'm always going to show love though. You're very talented and above all extremely helpful. Not too many folks doing restoration take the time out to explain their processes.
Thanks man, I really do appreciate it

People like you are a big reason why I try to help the community as much as I can

Back
Top Bottom