Dr. Shaquille O'Neal....yup, dude graduated w/ doctoral degree over the weekend.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Don't see any issue with any of your statements.

Not privy to any info concerning Shaq & his doctorate other than what is reported. Don't see a reason to automatically question the legitimacy of it, but maybe that's just me. Hopefully it can spark a couple of others to return to school and continue or finish up their education.

I don't question his other degrees at all. It's just this one that is hard to believe due to the logistics alone. A doctorate degree is a huge commitment, in any field. If he wasn't in the NBA the past 3 years, I wouldn't be as inquisitive. And then throw in Shaq shoving this degree in our faces throughout the year and his thoughts on the show. This is all just seems so off to me that I would be lying if I didn't express some skepticism.

You sound silly. You can't get into schools like Harvard just for basketball reasons. This whole all athletes are dumb and can't do well in school schtick has to stop one day you just sound bitter. A 3.0 or a 3.1 at a school like KState, OSU, or any of these others schools is not hard. Especially considering all of the resources with tutors and such that athletes have access to.

So Jeremy Lin was admitted into Harvard to be a successful Economics major?

I'm not saying they can't do well in school, I'm talking about the cats that know they will be pursuing sports as a way of paying the bills.

My entire stance has always been that a 3.0 at KState, Harvard, UCLA, Stanford, wherever, playing a sport is not the same as a physics student getting a 3.0 at even a smaller university. Those students put in more works in terms of scholastically in a quarter than most athletes do in their lives. It's just the notion that we hear every single draft that so-and-so was a great student grinds my gears because I was one of those dudes who did actually have to grind through school on to get a degree in something that athletes don't even think about doing.

There are exceptions, yes. But are those exceptions enough to not use a generalization? I don't think so.

Shaq getting his PhD, EdD, whatever, is no different. If he was a molecular biologist doing field work and writing papers? I'd be more impressed. 

Originally Posted by badboyf0life420

Lol at this thread,
Lol at JA judging another mans college degree like he's by their side 24/7 and know what they actually do to get their degrees.

What a lame

This.  A bunch of judgmental, salty divas in this thread.  Losers
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
.  Folks trying to break out the rulers and measure their intellectual E-peens like it means anything.  Grown men with 25000 posts that post on here 24/7 trying to discredit someone's accomplishments like they've been through it (I will pay to see your acceptance letter to ANY Ivy League school.  Who the hell are y'all to judge? Athletes like Shaq and Lin probably contribute more to society than you ever will... intellectualism doesn't mean jack if you're trying to prove that your opinion is worth more than the next man's.  No matter how much you want to assume and measure/critique their intellectual abilities, these athletes still live a higher quality of life than you and I.  Sit y'all pretentious %@+!@ down,  peons.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

You sound silly. You can't get into schools like Harvard just for basketball reasons. This whole all athletes are dumb and can't do well in school schtick has to stop one day you just sound bitter. A 3.0 or a 3.1 at a school like KState, OSU, or any of these others schools is not hard. Especially considering all of the resources with tutors and such that athletes have access to.

I'm not saying they can't do well in school, I'm talking about the cats that know they will be pursuing sports as a way of paying the bills.

My entire stance has always been that a 3.0 at KState, Harvard, UCLA, Stanford, wherever, playing a sport is not the same as a physics student getting a 3.0 at even a smaller university. Those students put in more works in terms of scholastically in a quarter than most athletes do in their lives. It's just the notion that we hear every single draft that so-and-so was a great student grinds my gears because I was one of those dudes who did actually have to grind through school on to get a degree in something that athletes don't even think about doing.

There are exceptions, yes. But are those exceptions enough to not use a generalization? I don't think so.

Shaq getting his PhD, EdD, whatever, is no different. If he was a molecular biologist doing field work and writing papers? I'd be more impressed. 

What does being at a smaller university have to do with anything? Basically you're just dismissing any non-science degree right now. Physics or chemistry isn't the only way to prove that you've earned your degree. It really doesn't sound like your opinion will change, though, no matter how off base it is so I'll leave it alone.

And Lin was admitted to be a student-athlete. I've definitely seen kids get the boot from Ivy's after a freshman year for not holding up the academic side of things. You also realized that Harvard has one of the best Econ program in the country, right? I don't know why you're trying to dismiss the validity of that degree. Tell that to an employer.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Not privy to any info concerning Shaq & his doctorate other than what is reported. Don't see a reason to automatically question the legitimacy of it, but maybe that's just me. Hopefully it can spark a couple of others to return to school and continue or finish up their education.

I don't question his other degrees at all. It's just this one that is hard to believe due to the logistics alone. A doctorate degree is a huge commitment, in any field. If he wasn't in the NBA the past 3 years, I wouldn't be as inquisitive. And then throw in Shaq shoving this degree in our faces throughout the year and his thoughts on the show. This is all just seems so off to me that I would be lying if I didn't express some skepticism.

I can understand or at least see where the skepticism stems from in your viewpoint I just don't share it.

I'm sure Shaq donates a ton of money and they use his likeness for events to raise money for the school. It's a business on both ends

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

What does being at a smaller university have to do with anything? Basically you're just dismissing any non-science degree right now. Physics or chemistry isn't the only way to prove that you've earned your degree. It really doesn't sound like your opinion will change, though, no matter how off base it is so I'll leave it alone.

And Lin was admitted to be a student-athlete. I've definitely seen kids get the boot from Ivy's after a freshman year for not holding up the academic side of things. You also realized that Harvard has one of the best Econ program in the country, right? I don't know why you're trying to dismiss the validity of that degree. Tell that to an employer.
Maybe I'm just way off base with Lin and Harvard, but for most student-athletes, the kind of dudes who are one-and-done, or the guys that don't come out early because their best bet is to stay their full time to develop their game, I just don't buy that these guys actually work as hard as other students getting the same degree. I don't think any of Jeremy Lin's peers thought he was on their level. Like I said, maybe I'm wrong, but for most athletes, I think their academia is coddled so that they can focus on making their school money by putting on a great show in their respected sport.

if you're doubting the legitimacy of Shaq's doctorate, you're not a hater. You're just not a bloody idiot.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

I can understand or at least see where the skepticism stems from in your viewpoint I just don't share it.

That's perfectly reasonable. I see no harm in bringing up doubts about this one specific case. I am not, after all, questioning the very existence of intelligent professional athletes, active or retired.

Like I said, maybe I'm wrong, but for most athletes, I think their academia is coddled so that they can focus on making their school money by putting on a great show in their respected sport.

You are. You think Harvard is pullin in millions a year for their basketball program? Please. Not every school is UCLA or Kentucky. And not every athlete is granted a free-pass. I'd imagine few more than the ones you see on Sportscenter are given anything, academically speaking.

Didn't expect this thread to go 7 pages but I guess ppl really hate Shaq.

Originally Posted by Noskey

Like I said, maybe I'm wrong, but for most athletes, I think their academia is coddled so that they can focus on making their school money by putting on a great show in their respected sport.
You are. You think Harvard is pullin in millions a year for their basketball program? Please. Not every school is UCLA or Kentucky. And not every athlete is granted a free-pass. I'd imagine few more than the ones you see on Sportscenter are given anything, academically speaking.
Let me put it a different way. What if I said I don't think Jeremy Lin gets into Harvard if he isn't an athlete, does that make it any better?
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

JapanAir21:
My entire stance has always been that a 3.0 at KState, Harvard, UCLA, Stanford, wherever, playing a sport is not the same as a physics student getting a 3.0 at even a smaller university.
This isn't even debatable, in my opinion.

Let me put it a different way. What if I said I don't think Jeremy Lin gets into Harvard if he isn't an athlete, does that make it any better?
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

He would. He did. He wasn't seen as an athlete to most people beside a small percentage.

Originally Posted by presequel

ohwell.gif
laugh.gif
He would. He did. He wasn't seen as an athlete. They didn't think he could ball.
That's ##%+$*+%. I'm sorry, it is.

In July 2005, then-Harvard assistant coach Bill Holden saw that Lin was 6 feet 3 inches (1.91 m), which fit the physical attributes he was seeking, and he had a 4.2 grade point average in high school, which fit Harvard's academic standards. However, Holden was not initially impressed with Lin's on-court abilities, and told Lin's high school basketball coach, Peter Diepenbrock, that Lin was a "Division III player". Later that week, Holden saw Lin playing in a much more competitive game, driving to the basket at every opportunity with the "instincts of a killer". Lin became a top-priority for Holden.[sup][25][/sup] Harvard coaches feared that Stanford, close to Lin's home,[sup][note 2][/sup] would offer Lin a scholarship, but it did not, and Lin chose to attend Harvard.[sup][26][/sup] "I wasn't sitting there saying all these Division I coaches were knuckleheads," Diepenbrock said. "There were legitimate questions about Jeremy."[sup][27][/sup]Joe Lacob, incoming Warriors' owner and Stanford booster, said Stanford's failure to recruit Lin "was really stupid. The kid was right across the street. [If] you can't recognize that, you've got a problem."[sup][28][/sup]Kerry Keating, the UCLA assistant who offered Lin the opportunity to walk-on, said in hindsight that Lin would probably have ended up starting at point guard for UCLA.[sup][29][/sup]

I won't sit here and question Jeremy Lin's intelligence anymore. That's fine. I had no doubts from the beginning he's probably a lot brighter than I am and probably would've done well for himself had he not loved basketball, and who could blame him for going after his passion and obtaining it? Props to him...

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

Originally Posted by RawSheed

apparently we won't ever even get to read his dissertation cause it won't ever be peer-reviewed and published

so in the world of academia his PhD (really Ed.D) is not brag-worthy in terms of him going on Inside the NBA and demanding the crew to refer to him as Dr. O'neal

http://blogs.miaminewtime...oneal_barry_universi.php

http://abcnews.go.com/blo...earns-ph-d-in-education/
Im sorry, but how did we miss this in the thread discussion!?

If this doesnt flash lights, I dont know what does. Will not be peer reviewed? I dont get it...

[Deion] That aint right [/Deion]
Exactamente. This dude going around demanding that he be addressed as Doctor is a slap to the face to anybody that is/was involved in original research & higher academia. 
If Shaq came up with his own methodology, gathered the data, and came up with his own conclusions, and had it peer-reviewed by a committee, then by all means, he'd get more respect from the academic community. Which is why I'm bummed since his dissertation won't be available anywhere online. 

In terms of his field, I hope this guy is bout it bout it and just gets a post-doc somewhere and fades into Bolivia honestly

Originally Posted by presequel

ohwell.gif
laugh.gif
He would. He did. He wasn't seen as an athlete. They didn't think he could ball.
That's ##%+$*+%. I'm sorry, it is.

In July 2005, then-Harvard assistant coach Bill Holden saw that Lin was 6 feet 3 inches (1.91 m), which fit the physical attributes he was seeking, and he had a 4.2 grade point average in high school, which fit Harvard's academic standards. However, Holden was not initially impressed with Lin's on-court abilities, and told Lin's high school basketball coach, Peter Diepenbrock, that Lin was a "Division III player". Later that week, Holden saw Lin playing in a much more competitive game, driving to the basket at every opportunity with the "instincts of a killer". Lin became a top-priority for Holden.[sup][25][/sup] Harvard coaches feared that Stanford, close to Lin's home,[sup][note 2][/sup] would offer Lin a scholarship, but it did not, and Lin chose to attend Harvard.[sup][26][/sup] "I wasn't sitting there saying all these Division I coaches were knuckleheads," Diepenbrock said. "There were legitimate questions about Jeremy."[sup][27][/sup]Joe Lacob, incoming Warriors' owner and Stanford booster, said Stanford's failure to recruit Lin "was really stupid. The kid was right across the street. [If] you can't recognize that, you've got a problem."[sup][28][/sup]Kerry Keating, the UCLA assistant who offered Lin the opportunity to walk-on, said in hindsight that Lin would probably have ended up starting at point guard for UCLA.[sup][29][/sup]

I won't sit here and question Jeremy Lin's intelligence anymore. That's fine. I had no doubts from the beginning he's probably a lot brighter than I am and probably would've done well for himself had he not loved basketball, and who could blame him for going after his passion and obtaining it? Props to him...

Was mostly having this part on my headHowever, Holden was not initially impressed with Lin's on-court abilities, and told Lin's high school basketball coach, Peter Diepenbrock, that Lin was a "Division III player". Which was most people's perception. Luckily he was given another look and was pursued. But it wasn't as if he was some 4 star standout recruit that rode that versus his education. If he didn't meet Harvards education criteria, no way he gets in. This whole time you've made it seem like it was the opposite.

Of course he wasn't an amazing recruit, that's why he WENT to Harvard. If he could've, he would've went to Duke or UNC or whatever, and like I've said about 15 times, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I think some of these people fail to realize, that being a college athlete is like having a full time professional job while going to school, compared most slap#$$ students who have no job or just work part time.

I think people think college athletics is just like going to gym or playing intramurals in your free time
laugh.gif

Yes, but people also assume that they don't have to work as hard, which can be false. I've seen way too many salty people thru high school, college, and work, complain about how they seemingly have to work harder than others just to get by while others seem to just coast and be ok. Granted there are some lames that actually get rewarded for nothing, I'd say in most cases those people who seem to have it so easy, don't. It comes from thousands of hours of unseen and uncredited work.

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

apparently we won't ever even get to read his dissertation cause it won't ever be peer-reviewed and published

so in the world of academia his PhD (really Ed.D) is not brag-worthy in terms of him going on Inside the NBA and demanding the crew to refer to him as Dr. O'neal

http://blogs.miaminewtime...oneal_barry_universi.php

http://abcnews.go.com/blo...earns-ph-d-in-education/
Im sorry, but how did we miss this in the thread discussion!?

If this doesnt flash lights, I dont know what does. Will not be peer reviewed? I dont get it...

[Deion] That aint right [/Deion]
Exactamente. This dude going around demanding that he be addressed as Doctor is a slap to the face to anybody that is/was involved in original research & higher academia. 
If Shaq came up with his own methodology, gathered the data, and came up with his own conclusions, and had it peer-reviewed by a committee, then by all means, he'd get more respect from the academic community. Which is why I'm bummed since his dissertation won't be available anywhere online. 

In terms of his field, I hope this guy is bout it bout it and just gets a post-doc somewhere and fades into Bolivia honestly

Just read the blog...WOW. 

this stood out to me:

News outlets have reported that Shaq-- who previously got his MBA from the University of Phoenix-- has "secretly" taken courses at Barry since his NBA days. We're not exactly sure how one of the largest and most famous men in the world can go unnoticed in a moderately-sized Catholic school. 

Kopp assured us that Shaq has not gotten special treatment in taking his classes: "He's done everything a traditional student would do. He has come to classes, but we have accomodated his NBA schedule and his work schedule."

Gone to classes (supposedly), but in this age of social media, NO ONE had any clue he was on campus? 

Man....ok, so he's just as fugazi as Franco
laugh.gif
  I take back what I said. 

^ Thing that I can't get past is that he paid for professors to come to his house for classes. I mean, the importance of that really hard final was undoubtedly passed on to Shaq once the proff arrived to the lavish confines of Shaq's abode.
laugh.gif

"Alright Shaq, finals next week. I was thinking that instead of the traditional scantron, we could just do a verbal test. And instead of the 150 questions + 2 essay questions, I think you know the material well enough that a few true/false questions and a discussion should suffice. What say you, Big Aristotle?"

Does anyone honestly and truly think the professors that were flown in to Shaq's pad on Shaq's dime gave the same exact expectations, materials, quizzes, and exams that they gave in the classrooms?
laugh.gif
There's absolutely no way.
laugh.gif

^ not a chance. The professors were probably laying poolside at shaqs house in florida, sippin maitai's and riddling off fun facts while shaq practiced his ft's. the teacher's called it a 'business trip'.

Back
Top Bottom