Draft Busts vol. Not NBA or NFL

In leagues such as MLB, NHL, WNBA, how prevalent are Draft busts? I feel like busts from the NBA & NFL are always magnified & are more well known. That can be because 1. I follow those leagues more, so my knowledge of them are greater; or 2. Other leagues don't have as many draft busts as the NBA or NFL(which I find hard to believe)

I pose this question, who are the most notorious busts in leagues outside of the NBA & NFL?

Who's the 'Kwame Brown' of MLB? or even failed prodigies from Nascar, (L)PGA, Tennis, Boxing, etc.

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

i dont know if he was a bust cause he won ROY, but bobby crosby was suppose to be a superstar.

No there are busts in the MLB and NHL, its just that traditionally they dont have to go on the roster immediately. In the MLB and NHL they have minor leauge systems that can obscure the fact that a player doesnt pan out.

not going to add peoples names, but i think a NBA bust is worse than the NFL. i say this because in the NFL there are so many systems implicated. #flamesuiton

I'd say baseball has more busts because of the greater amount of prospects. Every team has at least 2 players in their farm system that have potential to be good to great, but never pan out. And then of course, every other team has those 2-3 guys that are expected to be career minor leaguers at best that have good careers. Such a great, weird little sport.

i dont know if he was a bust cause he won ROY, but bobby crosby was suppose to be a superstar.

Injuries killed his career, smh.

Matt Bush is one name that pops up instantly. dude went to a rival high school, everyone knew he didn't go to class, partied like no other...and the Pads took him #1 and threw a bunch of money at him 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

STILL mad at that pick. especially with how much i hate Mission Bay.

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

Matt Bush is one name that pops up instantly. dude went to a rival high school, everyone knew he didn't go to class, partied like no other...and the Pads took him #1 and threw a bunch of money at him 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

STILL mad at that pick. especially with how much i hate Mission Bay.

the padres cheapness is to blame for that whole situation.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I'd say baseball has more busts because of the greater amount of prospects. Every team has at least 2 players in their farm system that have potential to be good to great, but never pan out. And then of course, every other team has those 2-3 guys that are expected to be career minor leaguers at best that have good careers. Such a great, weird little sport.

Injuries killed his career, smh.

Bobby Crosby derailed his own damn career by never, NEVER being able to lay off a slider outside. He definitely had his shot. Peter Gammons cursed him.

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

Freddy Adu & Michelle Wie..

Both were supposed to TAKE OVER
Who drafted those two?
Maybe they weren't necessarily drafted but they were top prospects in their sports.
Both failed.

Todd Van Poppel. They hyped this kid at the HS level as being the next Nolan Ryan. Come to think of it the entire young pitching core the Oakland A's they had at that time were all bust.

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

Todd Van Poppel. They hyped this kid at the HS level as being the next Nolan Ryan. Come to think of it the entire young pitching core the Oakland A's they had at that time were all bust.
laugh.gif
 I had a Todd Van Poppel sports figure. Why? I don't know. Can't even remember how I got it.

Speaking of busts, Generation K for the Mets.

Wilson, Pullsipher and Isringhousen were supposed to be the second coming of Seaver, Kooseman and Ryan...injuries never let that one happen, though.

alex daigle was awful

he even had the audacity to say that, "im glad i was drafted number 1, because noone ever remembers number 2" (something like that)

who was drafted number 2 that year? chris $$+#$+* pronger

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

hahahaha damn... i remember being a kid and virtually going "all in" on Todd Van Poppel rookie cards.  I lost.

I was also hyped about Marc Newfield who got drafted by the Mariners .  I think the fact that he went to a local HS made the hype seem bigger than it actually was

Back
Top Bottom