[| -- Drake - "Best I Ever Had" (OFFICIAL VIDEO PREMIERE) Directed By kanYe West -- |]

I'm tired of this vid already I've been at work for a hour and they have shown the vid 3 times already. They pushing the hell out of this song.

"you all know good and well what we can do with 2 minutes"
roll.gif

the girls are what made me watch it the whole way through, concept doesn't make sense to me for this song.

Why am I not surprised this went over EVERYONES' head?...

This is one of those videos where you have to "unfocus" your vision in order to grasp the big picture so to speak. The average fan is used to thestraight forward approach of rap and R&B music videos with regular A,B,C/1,2,3 treatments that have no underlying meaning or purpose. They don'trequire any actual THINKING by the viewer beyond the entertaining visuals they offer.

When you diverge from that norm, as you can see from the responses in this thread, you run the risk of confusing fansof that specific genre, and any underlying message or metaphor you do use gets lost in translation.

Originally Posted by RedMan

I'm guessing no one on this board has played on any type of team before. When I use to play pee wee football the coach would tell us that we are the best team he has ever coached even if we are clearly not the best team he has ever coached. He would say tell us that we are the best to make us feel good about ourselves and hopefully the team would perform better because we had a little more confidence. i'm also guessing no one of NT is in a relationship. I don't know about the rest of NT but I have told girlfriends in the past that they're the best I have ever had. There is two reasons why I would tell them they're the best one, to make them feel good about themselves (even if they lay on the bed like a starfish) and two, more than often if you tell your girl that her stuff is the best she is more likely to let you hit again because she thinks she is the best you have ever had.

Or I might be reaching.

That basically broke down the metaphor used in the video.

You tend to see a lot of symbolism like that used in alternative and rock music videos, hardly ever in rap videos, especially from a debuting artist. Even whenI first watched this video I gave it the "W T F" reaction because, like many of you, I took it at face value and was not expecting it to be thatintricate. I am assuming that was one of the intended purposes for Kanye and Drake choosing to go in an opposite direction with the video, to get the hip-hopcommunity USED to thinking outside of the box more. But maybe Drake doesn't want to be boxed in as your ordinary rap artist and wanted to make somethingthat would garner the attention from fans outside of the box rap has been put in...

And I find it funny that Fabolous has a cameo in the vid because I guarantee that when most of y'allvisualized a video for this song, it probably looked IDENTICAL to any one of Fab's past songs that featured an R&B artist singing thehook.

In the hood and the teenage "do the stanky leg" crowd, this video is probably a failure. I'm in no waysaying this video is a work of art (Rosa Acosta on the other hand, IS lol), but I guarantee that a lot of alternative heads will catch on to it fasterthan your average commercial rap fan will.

smh at yall complaining about this video. i understand they didn't show enough drake for all yall "fans" but im happy with the "visual"concept of the video.

i appreciate the comedy put into this video and i also think the metaphor of the whole video is great. Not all videos are the same , this video although a bitcorny , it goes along with the song quite nicely. its similar to poetry ,and no im not comparing Drake to a poet .But you have to look past the literal andthink figuratively then you can appreciate the video.

The Game is a Foot and RedMan seem to the main ones catching the symbolism in this.

If he made a video that followed the lyrics too specifically, it would be boring and similar to 1,000 other rap videos. This was much more unique, gave a spinon the theme of the song, made it less "female-like," and allowed for a reasonably funny double entendre joke about taking D--not to mention multiplegood looking women bouncing around the entire time.

I hoped NT would have more multi-dimensional rap fans that could enjoy a video that didn't have to use the song to spell out the plot.
ohwell.gif
I'm just tooold for this.

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

The Game is a Foot and RedMan seem to the main ones catching the symbolism in this.

If he made a video that followed the lyrics too specifically, it would be boring and similar to 1,000 other rap videos. This was much more unique, gave a spin on the theme of the song, made it less "female-like," and allowed for a reasonably funny double entendre joke about taking D--not to mention multiple good looking women bouncing around the entire time.

I hoped NT would have more multi-dimensional rap fans that could enjoy a video that didn't have to use the song to spell out the plot.
ohwell.gif
I'm just too old for this.

end of the day it has this other meaning....but the majority won't see it like that

If he made a video that followed the lyrics too specifically, it would be boring and similar to 1,000 other rap videos. This was much more unique, gave a spin on the theme of the song, made it less "female-like," and allowed for a reasonably funny double entendre joke about taking D--not to mention multiple good looking women bouncing around the entire time.

ohwell.gif
Even if there was Symbolism. ___'s aint got the time to be thinking about none of that
laugh.gif

The video just seemed...wack

ohwell.gif
it aint that deep people, making sound like the matrix or something.

a bad video is a bad video

Ye is 0/2
laugh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

what an awful video
roll.gif

but so visually appealing at the same time
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

"when they put the D on you, take that D! take it like the champs you are!"
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Dude just totally ruined his image, Kanye had to do this @@%% on purpose to sabotage Drake or something

Mary J. called Drake a savior for this record saying that it gave a good view of women and they pull a stunt like this. This joint exploited women harder thanany other video

Im disappointed man and im a huge Drake fan

Now i dont get me wrong i enjoy seeing big breasted chicks breast bouncing around while they are stretching and @@%% but come on
smh.gif

lmao...

after readin' some peoples reviews...

i got a question...

are ya'll gay???

and %%% were u expectin???

laugh.gif

kanye knows what he doin....

eek.gif
@ the stairs scene...

This video was horrible. Had nothing to do with the song. This should be Kanye's first and last video as a director

Originally Posted by LifeLessons

ohwell.gif

end of the day it has this other meaning....but the majority won't see it like that

Word. Video flew over a lot of NTers heads. Although, I am not surprised.

Song appeals to women but the video is for the guys. & Drake telling the girls they the best so they'll win= us telling girls they the best etc so wecan !@*@.

Originally Posted by mossman75

A wack rapper with a wack song with a wack video to go with it
you're reaching a little..

but this video is wack. i bet kanye has had this stupid video concept in his head for years and finally found an artist that would go along with it.

all happy like "FINALLY! everyone will see my directing SKILLZ!!11!"
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom