Dressing better

Some pics from May GQ article on slim cargos
I like Tommy, but I gave up on the brand ages ago.

2hp36n5.png

v5isg8.png

2r3uqna.png

107qekw.png

358qhpe.png

Originally Posted by GreenRanger

So I'm getting a new position at work next month which will require me to "dress better" and I have several questions. First I'll be looking to stock up my wardrobe with dress shirts, but my problem is I have a large neck about 19" so I assume I need a neck size 20 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I am by no means obese, I'm actually in pretty great shape I just happen to be 6'4 and 235lbs. I've been looking around on several popular retailers and have not found any company that sells dress shirts in my neck size except for Ralph Lauren. Can anyone recommend me any reputable companies or sites that do sell shirts in that size. I am located in NYC so if anyone knows any stores in the city that they can recommend that will also be appreciated.

Another thing I'll be looking into is new work shoes. Can anyone recommend me some that are good enough to wear in a professional environment, comfortable to walk distances in, and most importantly durable enough to last me awhile, especially if they're on the expensive end of things. I'll need a black pair and probably a brown pair as well, any other recommendations will gladly be taken.

Lastly as I mentioned before I live in NYC, and I need a good tailor either in Manhattan or Queens. I saw earlier in the thread someone mentioned to do a google search for alterations, unfortunately only one spot came up with high recommendations in the city, http://www.yelp.com/biz/alteration-shop-new-york. Does anyone have any experience with them or with any other alteration shops in NYC? I'll mostly be looking to do tapering on pant legs, and tapering dress shirts to fit my body and reduce that baggy look on the sides.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

NYC?

Before you read any post...I suggest you check out the fashion forum on wallstreetoasis. Most of us on that forum work/will work in NYC, this topic has been beaten to death.
http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/business-attire-fashion-advice
This sub-forum is geared towards dressing for work and is very NYC-centric. One store which always pops up is Century 21. It's a discount designer store. Try and go during the week if you can. It's a zoo on the weekends.

Out of curiosity, will you be working in the finance industry? If so, I"d dress conservatively. You want to stand out because of work product, not your wardrobe.

For shoes, I'd go with Johnston & Murphy or Cole Haan's. If you are wearing a suit, PLEASE wear oxfords.

Originally Posted by GreenRanger

So I'm getting a new position at work next month which will require me to "dress better" and I have several questions. First I'll be looking to stock up my wardrobe with dress shirts, but my problem is I have a large neck about 19" so I assume I need a neck size 20 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I am by no means obese, I'm actually in pretty great shape I just happen to be 6'4 and 235lbs. I've been looking around on several popular retailers and have not found any company that sells dress shirts in my neck size except for Ralph Lauren. Can anyone recommend me any reputable companies or sites that do sell shirts in that size. I am located in NYC so if anyone knows any stores in the city that they can recommend that will also be appreciated.

Another thing I'll be looking into is new work shoes. Can anyone recommend me some that are good enough to wear in a professional environment, comfortable to walk distances in, and most importantly durable enough to last me awhile, especially if they're on the expensive end of things. I'll need a black pair and probably a brown pair as well, any other recommendations will gladly be taken.

Lastly as I mentioned before I live in NYC, and I need a good tailor either in Manhattan or Queens. I saw earlier in the thread someone mentioned to do a google search for alterations, unfortunately only one spot came up with high recommendations in the city, http://www.yelp.com/biz/alteration-shop-new-york. Does anyone have any experience with them or with any other alteration shops in NYC? I'll mostly be looking to do tapering on pant legs, and tapering dress shirts to fit my body and reduce that baggy look on the sides.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Charles Tyrwhitt carries 19 & 20" neck sizes according to their website and has store in Midtown.  If their stock is limited in store for that neck size, they could probably order for you or you could just order online, as long as you know whether you want classic or slim fit.  I know they can alter sleeve length, you may want to ask if they do any other in-house alterations or have recommendations.  I really like their shirts for the price.

Originally Posted by Kazuum

Originally Posted by damn its me

dunno nor care, about all that..we have simple blue oxfords from gant and otherwise...lets talk. 75% off!

Anything else aside from shirts on sale?
i have probably 5 percent of our stuff online...now that we're closing up, i dont feel like going forward with 534798342 product photos.
laugh.gif
  pm me your style/look you're going for, ESPECIALLY if you wear an L or XL, seeing as i have tons and tons of those sizes

A couple fits from this past week.

5647496812_ff09e8417a.jpg

-dressed down-

5647495926_6d14808ecb.jpg

-I need some lighter colored chinos, like an off white. If anybody has any suggestions let me know. I'm looking to try new brands-

Originally Posted by Kazuum

dunno nor care, about all that..we have simple blue oxfords from gant and otherwise...lets talk. 75% off!

Anything else aside from shirts on sale?
i have probably 5 percent of our stuff online...now that we're closing up, i dont feel like going forward with 534798342 product photos.
laugh.gif
  pm me your style/look you're going for, ESPECIALLY if you wear an L or XL, seeing as i have tons and tons of those sizes
PMed sir, would love to see what you guys have.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by RufioRufioRufio

anyone order from davidz's website? i bought some desert boots on wednesday and the damn order is still processing. i emailed the mearlier, b ut i was just wondering if they usually take this long.

I got my order confirmation and shipment details right away and I ordered on thursday night. Hmmm

Originally Posted by thinkinFRESH

aceofjays
great fits
I was looking for the same color khakis.. thinking bout picking these up

2py0shy.png

9jno6o.png

$75 @ J.Crew

Good looks thinkinfresh. I gotta go check these out in person. I tried some slacks on from j.crew yesterday and the fit was a bit baggy, but these look nice.

Aceofjays - Before I order those vintage chinos from Uniqlo, I'm wondering if you went with your regular waist and inseam or did you size up? I know they're probably slim-fitting and wanted some advice. I'm regularly a 32x32.

Appreciate the help.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

Originally Posted by RufioRufioRufio

anyone order from davidz's website? i bought some desert boots on wednesday and the damn order is still processing. i emailed the mearlier, b ut i was just wondering if they usually take this long.

I got my order confirmation and shipment details right away and I ordered on thursday night. Hmmm
goddammit.  what did u order and where you from?
mad.gif

Originally Posted by UbUiBeMe

Aceofjays - Before I order those vintage chinos from Uniqlo, I'm wondering if you went with your regular waist and inseam or did you size up? I know they're probably slim-fitting and wanted some advice. I'm regularly a 32x32.

Appreciate the help.

pimp.gif

No problem. I went regular(34 waist) and they fit me spot on after I had them alter the inseam. 

Finally got a chance to put the trench I snagged for $50 to good use; rainy shopping.

5647495260_ffe854ef6a_b.jpg

-more on the contents of the bag later-

Uniqlo +J is probably the only suit in those pics that had no alterations.
All the other suits in that spread would never look that good off the rack.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RFX45

Uniqlo +J is probably the only suit in those pics that had no alterations.
All the other suits in that spread would never look that good off the rack.
laugh.gif

Lol my sentiments exactly. 

Ty, details on those Adidas? Close-up pics if possible?

Ace, trench doesn't fit too well. Does it have a belt to taper it a bit? It could be worst but it can certainly use a belt to put more shape to it, it kind of fits like a sack, especially in the first pic.

No lie, that Travis Pastrana shoot is 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Dressed right.   

Photography is on point. 

Concept is on point. 

those blue and grey ones I need. Been looking for a high top low profile sneaker. I just did a quick google search to see where I could get em
laugh.gif
but didn't get much. Info RFX?
edit: nvm I found them. Didn't realized google auto corrected as I was searching lol

Originally Posted by RFX45

Ty, details on those Adidas? Close-up pics if possible?

Ace, trench doesn't fit too well. Does it have a belt to taper it a bit? It could be worst but it can certainly use a belt to put more shape to it, it kind of fits like a sack, especially in the first pic.

I've liked every fit that you have posted Ace but I would have to cosign on this. It just looks much larger than the rest of your outfit and what you normally wear.

Back
Top Bottom