Dressing better

Originally Posted by Hella Fresh007

I have a wedding to go to on may 22nd. I need suggestions on what to wear. My price range for the fit is about $150, but I I would really love to wear a suit but I can't afford it because I'm saving up for my tripto Hawaii that's in June. I'm 5'5 and about 160lbs, I'm not fat though. Hahaha.any help would be appreciated.

And it's only my old managers wedding, and she has sexy friends so I want to look good.

Go to BANANA REPUBLIC and get this suit http://bananarepublic.gap...amp;vid=1&pid=802702

Use code BRONGAP40 to make it $159 from $250

Originally Posted by FudgeMoney24

Originally Posted by sreggie101

i have a question, and figured this is the best place to get answers.

To what degree of business attire are knit ties considered acceptable? I like them because they are different in texture and that they are narrow. I wouldn't expect them to be business formal, but maybe business casual?
i don't have an answer but i have a question.  where is your avy from?
devil.gif

laugh.gif
its stoya x brianna banks. cheerleaders.

anyone care to enlighten me on when you can and can't wear a knit tie?

anyone have suggestions for a fairly cheap pair of double monk strap shoes??

want to get a pair but i just bought a pair of boots and have a couple of home expenses coming up

Thanks guys! That was a lot of help, and I'll probably be doing the h&m thing. Thanks RFX for the recommendation.
And fudgemoney, my avy was taken from the scene girl thread a looooong time ago.

- should I wear a suit or just a nice button up, tie, and slacks?
And what kind of shoes? All I have are beeswax clarks.

anyone care to enlighten me on when you can and can't where a knit tie?

Take no offense but it is "wear", not "where". Sorry but I think I've read it at least 5 times in this thread already and it's getting a bit annoying.
Anyways, knit ties tends to be on a casual side, it brings the shirt and suit down a notch from being formal. You certainly cannot wear it with a tux or all black suit. It can be worn with regular wool suits but I think you have to make it less formal. With a navy wool suit, wear some tan shoes so the look as a whole doesn't look way too formal.

It is also a bit of a spring/summer tie, it might be a personal taste, but I don't like seeing it with heavier weight suits like tweed or flannel. They tend to work well with lighter weight and lighter color suits, like light grey or khaki. The popularity of knitted ties has risen though and I have seen it worn more and more in a more business formal occassions, which I think looks bad.

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

What would you wear with these man?
lacoste-mens-dark-green-button-fly-jeans-34-leg-regular-fit.jpg

I know super tiny pic, but thats the only one I could find that resemble the other jeans. Dead cereal too
Probably a white shirt and faded blue thin sweater or blue blazer

a.JPG

image.axd

Dark green?

I'd wear brown boots, white shirt and khaki jacket. Or white sneakers and white tee with a blue button up.

artysm, how's the quality of Asos? I see a few hightop sneakers that look great and the price seems fairly cheap compared to similar styles so just wondering if the quality takes a hit because of that.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Take no offense but it is "wear", not "where". Sorry but I think I've read it at least 5 times in this thread already and it's getting a bit annoying.
Anyways, knit ties tends to be on a casual side, it brings the shirt and suit down a notch from being formal. You certainly cannot wear it with a tux or all black suit. It can be worn with regular wool suits but I think you have to make it less formal. With a navy wool suit, wear some tan shoes so the look as a whole doesn't look way too formal.

It is also a bit of a spring/summer tie, it might be a personal taste, but I don't like seeing it with heavier weight suits like tweed or flannel. They tend to work well with lighter weight and lighter color suits, like light grey or khaki. The popularity of knitted ties has risen though and I have seen it worn more and more in a more business formal occassions, which I think looks bad.

I have a presentation in class coming up and I plan on wearing a navy wool suit, light blue gingham shirt (wide spread collar & french cuffs) and a navy knit tie. I think its a good mix of formal/casual.

Been awhile since I've posted in this thread, I've got a job interview on Thursday with an architecture firm in New York, but the interview is over Skype.
laugh.gif
A couple of issues are tripping me up as far as what to wear:

-It is a corporate office, but the dress code is not typical. In general if you wear black you are ok; nobody really wears suits and even the principals and office directors often just wear a black turtleneck or something. This is what the princiapal usually looks like:
rem%20koolhaas%20portrait_dominik%20gigler_bw.jpg

-The position I'm interviewing for is technically an intern and not architect since I'm graduating and am not yet licensed.
-The whole Skype thing, the interviewer's only going to be seeing me from the waist up. Do I pull a Charles Barkley?
laugh.gif

In the off chance that one of you NY Nt'ers knows somebody that works there, the name of the firm is OMA. Any suggestions on what to wear? This is probably the least of my worries
laugh.gif

wow can't believe i did that
sick.gif
thanks for putting me on the spot.

Originally Posted by georgehimself

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

What would you wear with these man?
lacoste-mens-dark-green-button-fly-jeans-34-leg-regular-fit.jpg

I know super tiny pic, but thats the only one I could find that resemble the other jeans. Dead cereal too
Probably a white shirt and faded blue thin sweater or blue blazer
These are super bright
laugh.gif
I can dig it tho. Sorta. I'ma go with RFX's suggestion. White sneakers and da white tee
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Does anyone here work for Banana Republic or know what they do what stock that isn't moving?

you cant say this without knowing what color the knit tie is.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

Zara has lovely fit on their dress shirts
pimp.gif

Definitely a good investment for the price imo.

Yes, indeed. I opt for the superslim dress shirt in a large. I have the problem of being too slim for regular large shirts (or even most brands "slim" fit), and having too long arms for a medium.

Like RFX said, knit ties are usually worn casually. But, I disagree with them all looking bad in business formal occasions. They can work quite nicely, if I don't say so myself.
tumblr_lhm2zhwF091qh9w2do1_500.jpg

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

you cant say this without knowing what color the knit tie is.
It really shouldn't matter, a knit tie is casual and it will bring down your suits "formalness" (I know thats not a word
laugh.gif
) no matter what color or pattern it is.

Ace, the knit on that pic brings that suit down and actually kind of ruins it for me, double breasted flannel suit and then bam you're hit with such a casual accesory. Plus just look at the knot and how messy it is. It would look even worst when the jacket is open and you see the square bottom of the tie. Imagine that with a much nicer tie with a clean knot, it takes it to a whole new level. The guy on that pic just gets extra points because he is pretty (nh).

Keep in mind though, I am not talking about business casual = khaki and polo shirt.

Again, that's my .02 cents so take it with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted by Crumps Brother

anyone have suggestions for a fairly cheap pair of double monk strap shoes??

want to get a pair but i just bought a pair of boots and have a couple of home expenses coming up

Generaiya recommends just saving up and buying a pair you love later.

Back
Top Bottom