Dressing better

anyone familiar with Zappos on a black friday? They never do coupons, so im wondering if they even have black friday sales. Scoping a particular shoe, undecided on whether to buy or wait.

Also, does anyone know where to cop a pair of olive dockeresque cargo pants?

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

Originally Posted by maulrat

I bought this suit this morning from Banana Republic. Im not planning on wearing the Clarks with it ... Looking at these pictures Im not sure I like the way it looks. Is this something a tailor can fix up? Or should I just return it and go to J Crew and just spend the extra dough??  There is rarely an occasion I need to wear a suit but I would like do it right. If it isnt obvious already, this stuff is new to me.

00b265458e02d7a23260d47150344aae2f29bf97.jpg
4cd360bd562702a978523e2c04c07456fe43fb73.jpg

I think something similar to below is what I would want.
From first glance, the jacket is just too short...are you sagging your pants though?  Because maybe that's why it looks like that.  You want the coat to reach somewhere at least near the bottom of your crotch typically...this is barely past your hips.  Other than that, pants could be tapered up at the bottom and the sleeves could use a length reduction but that's easy work.  Still though, I'm not getting past the length of the coat.

for the price you paid for the suit you should keep it. some tailoring is definitely needed, but ur shoulders and back look good. the jacket length isnt horrific but could be longer, and i can see where rsd has a problem. shorter jacket is just a more modern/trendy type look. if you get it tailored better, the overall fit and silhouette will look a lot better on you. 
ex. sleeves need to be taken up, pants need some tailoring (tapering or legs taken in) but overall for that price the suit is a great buy. 
ur not gonna find a suit to fit you like the pictures due to the fact that your build isnt a slim "kid" build.  ur looking for a trim made to measure or bespoke suit to make u look like that, which does not come off the racks of retailers. ull find nice cuts from labels like hugo boss but ull pay a little more. 

overall that suit fits well for being off the rack. if you want a trimmer look, ask ur tailor to take in the sides of the jacket and taper your pants. a nice hem is always nice too. 

i work at a high end retailer and have sold suits for a while now, so im not just coming out of nowhere w/ these suggestions. rsd is right on the money tho w/ his suggestions. 

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

I bought this suit this morning from Banana Republic. Im not planning on wearing the Clarks with it ... Looking at these pictures Im not sure I like the way it looks. Is this something a tailor can fix up? Or should I just return it and go to J Crew and just spend the extra dough??  There is rarely an occasion I need to wear a suit but I would like do it right. If it isnt obvious already, this stuff is new to me.

00b265458e02d7a23260d47150344aae2f29bf97.jpg
4cd360bd562702a978523e2c04c07456fe43fb73.jpg

I think something similar to below is what I would want.
From first glance, the jacket is just too short...are you sagging your pants though?  Because maybe that's why it looks like that.  You want the coat to reach somewhere at least near the bottom of your crotch typically...this is barely past your hips.  Other than that, pants could be tapered up at the bottom and the sleeves could use a length reduction but that's easy work.  Still though, I'm not getting past the length of the coat.

for the price you paid for the suit you should keep it. some tailoring is definitely needed, but ur shoulders and back look good. the jacket length isnt horrific but could be longer, and i can see where rsd has a problem. shorter jacket is just a more modern/trendy type look. if you get it tailored better, the overall fit and silhouette will look a lot better on you. 
ex. sleeves need to be taken up, pants need some tailoring (tapering or legs taken in) but overall for that price the suit is a great buy. 
ur not gonna find a suit to fit you like the pictures due to the fact that your build isnt a slim "kid" build.  ur looking for a trim made to measure or bespoke suit to make u look like that, which does not come off the racks of retailers. ull find nice cuts from labels like hugo boss but ull pay a little more. 

overall that suit fits well for being off the rack. if you want a trimmer look, ask ur tailor to take in the sides of the jacket and taper your pants. a nice hem is always nice too. 

i work at a high end retailer and have sold suits for a while now, so im not just coming out of nowhere w/ these suggestions. rsd is right on the money tho w/ his suggestions. 

Originally Posted by ksteezy

you would get a much wider variety from the actual sperry's site or store....they fit snugged but tend to stretch easily....i don't know about you but i don't wear socks with mines so i can stay true to size....if not go up half a size.

I'll probably wear them with socks, so half a size sounds good.  I've been checking their site, but I need a pair I can wear with khakis, so I've been looking for dark brown pairs.  Could you recommend any other casual shoes that would go well with khakis?

The jcrew McCallisters bro...I have two pair, comfy as hell.

Also try Cole Haan, very nice selection of shoes.

Maulrat - keep the suit bro, it doesn't look too bad, im no suit expert and i know there are certain rules that need to be followe when it comes to suiting but I actually like the short fitted jacket, the pants is what I feel need the most help, they look saggy, so just take them to a tailor, tell him exactly how you want them to fit...some tailors are hard headed and are gonna want to tailor to their liking, but is your suit, your money...get them tailored the way you want....I brought him pictures...he thought I was going too slim, but I loooooved the end result....truth is going to Jcrew and picking up a Ludlow won't make much of a difference, more than likely it will fit very similar to the one you are wearing...you will still need tailoring....we tend to think these suits are supposed to fit us like they do in magazines, someone posted a whole back some behind the scenes pictures of how they make those suits look so nice on the models, teu have them pinned and tied around the back...lol

Once you get the alterations you want, you will be extremely happy

Thanks very much for the advice Kream and steez. JCrew sends me those damn catalogs every month and always has me drooling over the Ludlows...

While all those suits look nice on those dudes anyone else cant get past the way their pants drop on their shoes?
To me it looks kind of sloppy.

I dont think I would ever see walk out like that in any of his suits.

For what it's worth,

I went to a Gap Outlet (in Sparks, NV) and they had a Pinstripe Navy Blazer for $5.00 plus 40% off (total would be around ~ $3.50). I would have bought it but it was an XL (way to big for me).

So, if any of you have a local Gap Outlet check to see if there are some there. Or, try calling ^ to see if they can ship it to you.

- Memo

Originally Posted by kobeoverbron

I like JT and chris pine's fit the best. damn nice. is it their body type that make it look nice?
JT got a good shoulder to waist ratio by the looks of it
devil.gif
laugh.gif

Nah dudes are handsome, in shape and got the means to get tailor made joints. They should look a million $$$

Originally Posted by CoolGrayMemo

For what it's worth,

I went to a Gap Outlet (in Sparks, NV) and they had a Pinstripe Navy Blazer for $5.00 plus 40% off (total would be around ~ $3.50). I would have bought it but it was an XL (way to big for me).

So, if any of you have a local Gap Outlet check to see if there are some there. Or, try calling ^ to see if they can ship it to you.

- Memo
Did I read this correctly?
eek.gif

Originally Posted by ksteezy

The jcrew McCallisters bro...I have two pair, comfy as hell.

Also try Cole Haan, very nice selection of shoes.

How's the sizing on the McCallisters?  .5 size up w/ socks?  Sorry if I'm being annoying
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Originally Posted by CoolGrayMemo

For what it's worth,

- Memo
Did I read this correctly?
eek.gif

Yea. 
Like this one:

140.jpg

Originally Posted by goDie

While all those suits look nice on those dudes anyone else cant get past the way their pants drop on their shoes?
To me it looks kind of sloppy.

I dont think I would ever see walk out like that in any of his suits.
It's a matter of personal taste.  The modern/trendy take on that is what would be called "high waters" in the past and showing "flashy" socks.

Traditional/Classic look tends to have minimal "break" with no socks showing (while standing).  Nowadays seems like socks are getting some shine when it comes to wearing a suit.

Thanks very much for the advice Kream and steez. JCrew sends me those damn catalogs every month and always has me drooling over the Ludlows...
Well, if you listen to the traditionalists in here they'll tell you the Ludlow suits will be out of style in a few years and not timeless.  I feel like the slim / skinny guys can pull it off no matter what year it is.  The Mike Ross character from Suits is a good example.

rhester wrote:
Some nice suits...

Maybe i am being too critical, but i think a few of those suits/fits are off: 
Jay: His jacket is okay and his tie could be wider (because of the width of his jacket lapels). The bigger problem is his pants. The rise is too small, the pants is too tapered and his pants could be hemmed at a better length to allow it to drop more gracefully on his shoes. The pants is totally poor in proportion to the jacket and his body. 

Justin T: Not bad ... i want to chalk anything off i see to poor photography and being in motion ie his shoulders and hem. Overall its a nice fitting suit and more proportional to his body than Jay's.  

Third guy: Similar to Justin T 

Tweed suit dude: Very nice fit and choice of accessories (shirt, tie and shoes) ... but brown tweed for a night event? Out of context. Would be great for a day time event. 

Jimmy Fallon: Everything looks great except the hem of his pants. His pants may have slipped down, or he needs to have the hem adjusted, but he was the closest to perfection. His shirt collar is stellar!!

Asian Guy: Why.Those.Shoes?!?!?! Charcoal suit, black shoes ... and he would have looked pretty good. 

Last Guy: I think he is wearing blue crocodile shoes? Hopefully they are not Stacy Adams. He is such a good looking guy, he could get away with some bad fits ... lol.  

Anyone familiar with forums similar to gq and styleforum for us, that are tailored towards women? My lady is intrigued by what we have going here.

Originally Posted by Phen0m

Anyone familiar with forums similar to gq and styleforum for us, that are tailored towards women? My lady is intrigued by what we have going here.
Primarily about bags - but they have a few threads on there about "dressing better" and also a WAYWRN type thread. 
Be prepared to be broke, if your lady starts getting interested in Balenciagas and Goyards ... lol. Maybe you shouldnt show it to her: http://forum.purseblog.com/

I have no suits. Where should I start off if I was interested in buying one. I'm 5'11 250 so I have a weird shape. I'm top heavy. wide chest , boxy shoulders.

^^^ I was you at one point, and one thing I will recommend is lose weight.  Don't buy a suit and try to slim down to at least 215-225.

I know it sounds drastic, but you will just look like the portly older men with big belly's in a suit.  It's just my suggestion.

If you are on a budget, hit up Burlington Coat Factory, they have cheap marked down suits if you are in a financial bind.  You can always hit up Banana Republic during their F&F's but their suits are catered to slim folks, just warning you.  Brooks Brothers has a decent selection for your build, but it will cost you a little more.

I've seen steals at dept. stores for good suits, just go during major sales.

I know my suggestion is against the grain since most would say that suits are an investment (I agree), but if your body is going to change, go quantity over quality.  If you are going to see a suit as an investment, then invest in your body/health as well.  Then you can buy more expensive, even custom suits.

Back
Top Bottom