Dressing better

Originally Posted by RFX45

IWC Spitfire Mark XVI Watch
21461.jpg
i wish i could afford an IWC

tailoring clothes to fit you properly is a dumb move? that's a first.

I think you look dumber, and cheaper, by rolling them up (your shorts) instead of having them fitted properly. If you want versatility expand your wardrobe andstop wasting money on pocket squares for casual button downs.

you are trying to hard, this coming from someone who has worked in and knows the industry

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by Jkissi7

Originally Posted by wj4

That's just my opinion. Looking at the picture, it seems like you have to roll up the shorts quite a bit..at this point, why not just get it tailored?

I'd personally never button up my button ups all the way unless I'm wearing a tie. I don't know how you can move around comfortably with the sleeves rolled up that high. I personally find my arms to be restricted somewhat when I have the sleeves rolled up to ~1'' below the elbow. PS, the saying is "couldn't care less'. Saying 'can care less' means you're already caring at some level. Just saying since a lot of people use it incorrectly.

Tailored to that length.. no its more about having versatility my brother .. either rolling them up or keeping them down is the choice of the person. Tailoring them will make it permanent dumb move imo
So you wear the shorts below your knees one day and above the knees the next?

I'm sorta like you. I joined in '02 primary to post in the Jordan section. As I graduated high school and college, my style changed dramatically. I only own 2 pairs of sneakers now..one to run in and one to hoop in.

And before you call it hating, it's more like constructive criticism. Stating this now because I'm sure it will come sooner or later.

Some people like the look of cuffed shorts, others like it to be just be rolled down and STILL in both situations be the same length. Tailoring that would makeit hard to do that. I wouldn't call it much of constructive criticism because in that case the person who is receiving it is willing to take it and alterthe changes that were criticized. In this I will still dress the same as I did previously not to sound pretentious or anything though.

Originally Posted by infamousod

tailoring clothes to fit you properly is a dumb move? that's a first.

I think you look dumber, and cheaper, by rolling them up (your shorts) instead of having them fitted properly. If you want versatility expand your wardrobe and stop wasting money on pocket squares for casual button downs.

you are trying to hard, this coming from someone who has worked in and knows the industry

Hey my brother I think you didnt read the text correctly. We were discussing tailoring the "length" of the shorts because he saw that I rolled themup. Thats why I said it was a dumb move , if we were discussing the "FIT" of the shorts then yes the tailoring would be a good suggestion on bringingit in more to fit me better around the waist/legs and such. Coming from someone who has worked in the industry meanining that you are somehow above people ,and your opinion turns into fact?.. I don't think thats what that means to be honest. I'm all for good debate on trying hard and all if you want totake it there also. BTW putting a scarf as a pocket sq doesn't really apply to trying hard imo , its more of trying to expand from conformity and think ofdifferent looks/palettes/textures for someone in the industry I thought that would be A1 my brother.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by RFX45

IWC Spitfire Mark XVI Watch
21461.jpg
i wish i could afford an IWC
laugh.gif
Word. I think RFX's watches are more than what his Lexus costs.
laugh.gif

I'm still scouting out an Omega or Breitling.

I constantly lol at people who dress like RX and Wj. Yes, that's a lot of people.
laugh.gif

No offense though.

The only reason I lol is because I dress casual virtually 7 days out of the week unless I'm forced to dress non casual. I just don't get why anyonewould dress up if not forced too.
That's just me though.

There is no right or wrong way of dressing. Neither is there a better or worse way.
I don't see how anything dude with the purple shortsis wearing is any worse than anyone I lol at.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

I constantly lol at people who dress like RX and Wj. Yes, that's a lot of people.
laugh.gif

No offense though.

The only reason I lol is because I dress casual virtually 7 days out of the week unless I'm forced to dress non casual. I just don't get why anyone would dress up if not forced too.
That's just me though.

There is no right or wrong way of dressing. Neither is there a better or worse way.
I don't see how anything dude with the purple shortsis wearing is any worse than anyone I lol at.
My mom has always told me "you dress nice, you feel nice". She's been having me dressed like this since I was a young lad..a Poloor Lacoste polo tucked into shorts/pants, up until middle school...when I took a detour and went with the herd and was into urban brands. Now I'm back towhere I started out, go figure.

I have confident in myself so I don't really care who laughs at me.

i dress up for work M-F ...but if i have a chance to dress down (sweat pants or jean w/ white V neck) ..i would do it with the quickness. Once in awhile todress up is fine with me but not everyday ....them dress shoes be killing my feet
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by wj4

laugh.gif

No offense though.

The only reason I lol is because I dress casual virtually 7 days out of the week unless I'm forced to dress non casual. I just don't get why anyone would dress up if not forced too.
That's just me though.

My mom has always told me "you dress nice, you feel nice". She's been having me dressed like this since I was a young lad..a Polo or Lacoste polo tucked into shorts/pants, up until middle school...when I took a detour and went with the herd and was into urban brands. Now I'm back to where I started out, go figure.

Same with my parents but I've just never been one to dress up. I love jeans and a Tee.

I don't literally lol at people. I was just saying that the dude was being lambasted for nothing at all.

I got @#*% already throughout college about never "dressing up".
laugh.gif

people in america are too scared of "different" fashion
laugh.gif

I see dudes walkin around like that on the reg. no one looks twice.
i seriously dont see anything wrong with that fit, or dressing up nice.

Originally Posted by wj4

laugh.gif

No offense though.

That's just me though.

My mom has always told me "you dress nice, you feel nice". She's been having me dressed like this since I was a young lad..a Polo or Lacoste polo tucked into shorts/pants, up until middle school...when I took a detour and went with the herd and was into urban brands. Now I'm back to where I started out, go figure.

Same with my parents but I've just never been one to dress up. I love jeans and a Tee.

I don't literally lol at people. I was just saying that the dude was being lambasted for nothing at all.
Don't get me wrong...in the summer, I'm in a t shirt and shorts 98% of the time. I'm not throwing a button up/polo and tucking it inunless I have to go out for a formal dinner/lunch, internship, or anything like that. The heat is too hot to be stylin' on someone.
laugh.gif
Plus I had toredo 100% of my wardrobe anyway, so this was partly why. I've wanted to switch up the style for a while now, but coulnt'd justify doing it 'justbecause' until the weight drop.

Originally Posted by sn00pee

laugh.gif

This is statement is very true. The reputation is that Europeans dress better than Americans on average. A lot of people here just scared to leave that comfortzone.

^ thats the kind of mentality that people have to delete from their mind "I Think" . So many people are looking to please , or just fit in with themold of expectations. If you feel it looks good and its right then ride with it. There's no rules to this you could wear Black/Brown if done properly andall those other myths imo. Some people just dont have that "umph" to do it. I mean.. I cant lol expect too much though

laugh.gif

No offense though.

That's just me though.

I kinda agree with you and I don't. I always laugh when I see people wearing suits on Saturdays or at clubs, because you know damn sure they don't havea job that requires them to wear a suit and they're just faking it. Anyone who actually wears a suit Monday - Friday takes it off the SECOND they get home.

I also live in gym shorts and sandals, which is basically the epitome of casual. But I definitely don't laugh at people that dress up, just those that areclearly forcing it.

laugh.gif

I moved to Vegas for a whole year and really got into fashion and designer brands. When I moved back home everyone looks at me crazy when I'm dressed onlysemi-nice! I find it hilarious. They expect me to wear a bummy t-shirt and jeans like all my old friends.

People get mad/uncomfortable if you're anything other than mediocre.

I don't dress up to impress anyone. I dress up now because I have respect for myself and feel good and more outgoing when I'm dressed nice.

Originally Posted by cor23ey

laugh.gif

I moved to Vegas for a whole year and really got into fashion and designer brands. When I moved back home everyone looks at me crazy when I'm dressed only semi-nice! I find it hilarious. They expect me to wear a bummy t-shirt and jeans like all my old friends.

I don't dress up to impress anyone. I dress up now because I have respect for myself and feel good and more outgoing when I'm dressed nice.
QFT. You nailed it bro.

The hierarchy in fashion is ridiculous. I was raised in a home where my Mother would drag me to Barney's, Mondi, Laurel, Laura Bioggoti (spelling?).....Ilook now at her closet full of 1'000 dollar dresses, and 500 $ shoes, while all she wears is polo outfits from Marshals, and TJMaxx
laugh.gif
. My boy wearssuits to everything, I mean dude has suits, and has a personal shopper at Macy's.
laugh.gif
I be like fam you are 21 years old. Although he is looked up to, Ifeel he can't dress down because of the facade he has created. I guess in short, I feel that dressing in part is knowing how to dress for any occasion. Imyself can wear a white tee and jeans to any occasion. After all I am still in college. I have a few suits, but really? Dressing up when I don't need to?PASS.

Originally Posted by Vancity74

laugh.gif

No offense though.

That's just me though.

I kinda agree with you and I don't. I always laugh when I see people wearing suits on Saturdays or at clubs, because you know damn sure they don't have a job that requires them to wear a suit and they're just faking it. Anyone who actually wears a suit Monday - Friday takes it off the SECOND they get home.

I also live in gym shorts and sandals, which is basically the epitome of casual. But I definitely don't laugh at people that dress up, just those that are clearly forcing it.

Some people, like myself, who wears business attires for work feels comfortable wearing the same or similar stuff outside of work.
Trust me, maybe when I was in high school, I would have been with you guys. Jeans and tee were my staple other than the occasional polo I mix up withkhaki's or slacks once in a while.
But there are people out there who wears suits to work and their casual clothes are khaki's with a sportshirts and loafers.
They feel completely comfortable with it and when they go for some baggy sweatpants with a large hoody, that becomes uncomfortable to them.
Me, I can mix it up. But my casual days mostly consists of khaki or chino with some low profile sneakers and sport shirt.
I only own two pairs of jeans and even then I wear it with a s/s button up or a simple sportshirt. I rarely wear jeans and tee, hell I haven't even wornJordans in almost a year other than the BMP I's.

There are those people who try too hard, wearing a suit to clubs or a sport coat as a dinner jacket when going out but there is a population out there thatfinds it very comfortable and consider it casual.
There was also a time when these are standard casual clothes. Check out the old movies or old pictures, casual clothes consists of sportshirts and slacks. Someof those styles also included wearing tweed suits in the summer with fedora's. Believe it or not, but those are more or less casual. So it really is aboutwhat you are accustomed to.

I guess my point it (to summarize) it is not necessarily dressing up just because a person wears a sportshirt with chino's, hell sportshirts are meant tobe casual and "elitist" will laugh at some for trying to pass it up as formal or even semi-formal. The same with loafers, it is a casual shoe andsome people will laugh if someone tries to pass it up as formal or worn with a business suit.

And again, i think the point of thread has been misunderstood. It is not about dressing up, but dressing better. Which in definition really is subjective andthese suggestions and examples should be taken in and be incorporated to your own style. It helps those who are curious or has question how to dress moreappropriately in different occassions. Just because you are just going to the mall doesn't mean you have to go wearing shorts and tees.

Originally Posted by cor23ey

laugh.gif

I moved to Vegas for a whole year and really got into fashion and designer brands. When I moved back home everyone looks at me crazy when I'm dressed only semi-nice! I find it hilarious. They expect me to wear a bummy t-shirt and jeans like all my old friends.

+1 on this man I'm in the same boat I always the one to leave the block and stuff going down to the city I just always felt like there was more out thereto grasp instead of chilling all day on the block just posted up doing nothing. I did the jordan/sneaker/vintage RL thing already and I still have the itemsits just that most of that doesn't fit my style today, I have grown up. People always used to say slick $!$+ , but now its like you 'thats him'type of vibe when I'm downtown or even in BK because thats getting pretty gentrified its a regular sight and all. I have learned to understand that when Icome back Uptown I'm going to get strange looks from some people , other people admire it old/young doesn't matter I'm always down for chattin withanyone idc. People f rom outside NYC of course going to loo kat me like "Son what this nig is doing mann?" , I don't do this for no one else butmyself some may feel I dont fit social norm of dressing people esp because I'm black and all. idc life goes on and I just try to associate myself withpeople i know that are real. lol damn i talk a lot tho It is funny though because I was chilling with Maestroknows some of you may know him from his video, butwhen first introduced hes like "your from london" lol and I'm like "Nah man the Bronx" pretty funny moment but people do have thesealtruistic views of you just looking by the way you dress.

Conclusion? Wear what you're comfortable wearing and stop trying to impress others or care what others think. That's really all there is to it.

^ Basically , just irks me when people think because your the same race as them think you should act and dress just like them. People wake up everyone isdifferent stop casting everyone especially you see someone that you can't put in a category nigs go bonkers lol

Originally Posted by Vancity74

Conclusion? Wear what you're comfortable wearing and stop trying to impress others or care what others think. That's really all there is to it.
While I agree, I don't think that is the whole picture.
I don't think it is about impressing people, at least not 100% true.
I mean honestly, I get more compliments when I wear my Jordans than shoes I usually wear now.
If I really were looking for compliments or to impress people, I'd wear my XI's and IV's everyday.

I feel more confident wearing the clothes I wear, I feel more comfortable and like how I look overall and that is why I do it.

Back
Top Bottom