Dressing better

Originally Posted by dukeben18

Nii - where can I find good, long, wide spread collars on shirts similar to the one that PG is wearing. My Brooks, and Charles Tyrwhitt shirts have very short collars that I wear for more casual days without a jacket. I heard TM Lewin has longer collar points but haven't ordered from them yet.

on the low end TM Lewin has pretty good collar points. On the high end, Borrelli has GREAT collar points on their shirts. 

Originally Posted by got shoes

anybody please? Can i wear a light grey pinstripe suit with some brown shoes (tan, light or dark).

Yes: 
tumblr_lg06izVrpc1qg6qreo1_1280.jpg

Originally Posted by jamminbyalias

Anyone know where I can buy some slim/skinny cargo pants for under $100?
Generaiya knows that Uniqlo has been pushing their cargo pants hard this season. They may even be on sale.

Originally Posted by niidawg3

anybody please? Can i wear a light grey pinstripe suit with some brown shoes (tan, light or dark).

Yes: 
glad you answered. So the color doesn't really matter, because i hear people saying that it should be a dark brown shoe.

Yes: 
glad you answered. So the color doesn't really matter, because i hear people saying that it should be a dark brown shoe.
i actually forgot to post the picture i planned to add. color does not matter too much. it is more so, setting and type of fabric. 
for a flannel type suit (like the one i have above) any type of suede just works great. if you are going to a more formal setting and are wearing a worsted (light wool fabric) wool suit i would either recommend dark brown leather or black leather. 

hope that helps.

Unfortunately I am nowhere near a Uniqlo.

you can buy uniqlo using their website. RFX posted how to do it sometime back. maybe he can re-post. 

GQ got a article in their April issue on this, Uniqlo offers a nice pair for 29.99I got 2 pairs of JCrews offering ... 79.99 online .... Great fit and better material than Uniqlos

Yes: 
i actually forgot to post the picture i planned to add. color does not matter too much. it is more so, setting and type of fabric. 
for a flannel type suit (like the one i have above) any type of suede just works great. if you are going to a more formal setting and are wearing a worsted (light wool fabric) wool suit i would either recommend dark brown leather or black leather. 

hope that helps.

thanks for the advice and info. My suit is a little a darker grey than yours and shame on myself that I do not know what the fabric is, I know its not cotton so possibly wool
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by thinkinFRESH

GQ got a article in their April issue on this, Uniqlo offers a nice pair for 29.99I got 2 pairs of JCrews offering ... 79.99 online .... Great fit and better material than Uniqlos
Saw that question and was gonna give the same response.  I'll look up which ones were suggested in the GQ article, I think about half of them were pretty reasonably priced.

Originally Posted by Mdotte

Whats the big deal with the whole " dont ever wear black with brown"? is it a no-go at all? for instance...i've worn a brown sweater/black chinos/and brown shoes. Is this a go or am i safe?

I was totally wondering why folks think this is a fashion faux pas???  hasnt been the case really since the 80's...and especially not now, while its all rules off, when it comes to color pairing (well not ALL, but "most" rules)
aceofjays i believe posted a nice fit of a black based outfit and brown shoes and folks were "shocked" to see the pairing?
imho you should most definitely be wearing brown shoes with a predominately black outfit, same with grey (esp charcoal)

ill say black and khaki dont work quite as well together..  however, some of the more rich brown tones are really brought out and highlighted with some nice black pieces throughout.

I think you got it the other way around, khaki and black works well together, khaki pants and black leather jacket and black boots is a classic look. It is the only shade of brown that works well with black.

Brown in general with black just isn't a good color combo. It just doesn't work or blend well together. I am one for breaking rules but a brown shoe with a black suit should never, eeeeeveer be done.

The only way I could see brown and black working together is if you wear a dark blue jeans, black tee and a dark brown leather jacket, then a choice of leather shoes can be brown or black but there is that in between color that works with black and brown that breaks the whole black & brown look.

But wearing nothing but black and brown is not recommended, two rather neutral colors that clashes.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Ithink you got it the other way around, khaki and black works welltogether, khaki pants and black leather jacket and black boots is aclassic look. It is the only shade of brown that works well with black.

Brown in general with black just isn't a good color combo. It justdoesn't work or blend well together. I am one for breaking rules but abrown shoe with a black suit should never, eeeeeveer be done.

The only way I could see brown and black working together is if youwear a dark blue jeans, black tee and a dark brown leather jacket, thena choice of leather shoes can be brown or black but there is that inbetween color that works with black and brown that breaks the wholeblack & brown look.

But wearing nothing but black and brown is not recommended, two rather neutral colors that clashes.
We'll have to beg to differ here...

perhaps I was speaking on more casual terms.
really i think a great pair of distressed indigo jeans black jacket orsweater and brown shoes is just fine....perhaps more than fine, id goas far as to say "quite stylish"  i totally respect you and the tons and tons of nice stuff you have, however i think we put things together outfits totally differently (at least from what I can tell) 

im no authority on dressing well, and in fact am only I really only post in this thread because I no longer wear sneakers, which has obviously forced me into re-vamping my wardrobe.  however seeing as im much more a fan of navy/brown combos, im left with predominately brown shoes...and maybe im just committing egregious error with the way i combine things, but i really appreciate casual pairings of brown and black (as long as said colored pieces dont actually "touch" one another and are contrasted by another colored piece in between them

EDIT: also id have to add that

i guess what im saying is when im sourcing my inspiration(not limited to brandon flowers or arcade fire, james murphy vampireweekend the kills or whomever else is the jonas brother looking chap ofthe moment) i am drawing inspiration from folks that are trying to puta twist on "classic looks" maybe even darn near turning them on theirhead.  i think its mostly satirical and perhaps thus stylish IMO.  not sure if any of that makes any sense.

All that said, you are killing the game, and I hope to stack hard and amass the amount of classy heat you have my good fellow
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by damn its me

Originally Posted by RFX45

Ithink you got it the other way around, khaki and black works welltogether, khaki pants and black leather jacket and black boots is aclassic look. It is the only shade of brown that works well with black.

Brown in general with black just isn't a good color combo. It justdoesn't work or blend well together. I am one for breaking rules but abrown shoe with a black suit should never, eeeeeveer be done.

The only way I could see brown and black working together is if youwear a dark blue jeans, black tee and a dark brown leather jacket, thena choice of leather shoes can be brown or black but there is that inbetween color that works with black and brown that breaks the wholeblack & brown look.

We'll have to beg to differ here...

perhaps I was speaking on more casual terms.
really i think a great pair of distressed indigo jeans black jacket orsweater and brown shoes is just fine....perhaps more than fine, id goas far as to say "quite stylish"  i totally respect you and the tons and tons of nice stuff you have, however i think we put things together outfits totally differently (at least from what I can tell) 

im no authority on dressing well, and in fact am only I really only post in this thread because I no longer wear sneakers, which has obviously forced me into re-vamping my wardrobe.  however seeing as im much more a fan of navy/brown combos, im left with predominately brown shoes...and maybe im just committing egregious error with the way i combine things, but i really appreciate casual pairings of brown and black (as long as said colored pieces dont actually "touch" one another and are contrasted by another colored piece in between them

EDIT: also id have to add that

i guess what im saying is when im sourcing my inspiration(not limited to brandon flowers or arcade fire, james murphy vampireweekend the kills or whomever else is the jonas brother looking chap ofthe moment) i am drawing inspiration from folks that are trying to puta twist on "classic looks" maybe even darn near turning them on theirhead.  i think its mostly satirical and perhaps thus stylish IMO.  not sure if any of that makes any sense.

All that said, you are killing the game, and I hope to stack hard and amass the amount of classy heat you have my good fellow
pimp.gif

Thanks for the compliments, just really trying to help.
I bolded the parts where I think we pretty much agreed on. There are always exceptions and to me, this is the only one I could think of along with khaki and black.
Khaki and black works because it is a contrast of light and dark colors while regular brown has a dark earth tone that clashes with black.

An example (i'll go strictly with shoes in pants here), I really like this look. I can have a black leather jacket with it or just a white or black tee and it works.

0H7na.jpg

I've also come to realize that dark jeans are one of those items that can break some rules and still look good, it is a solid piece that could work well with almost anything.

Brown/black shoes, brown/grey/black jackets, any color tees/shirts, etc... Everything just works with it so it is a good piece to use and combine things and color that may not work together.

There are still a few exceptions but that is a whole new other discussion.

I have come to learn that black and brown together doesn't work well, like this look, it just looks odd.

qkyzq.jpg

Originally Posted by Kramer

Originally Posted by DimesLikeHefner

Can I get some ideas for prom please? 
nerd.gif

Cosign. I really don't want to rent a tux

It's kind of hard to suggest buying one is a good idea when it coems to prom since most will get one use for it and most are still growing at this point. My suggestion is go to H&M or Zara, you should be able to find a decently priced one for around $100-$250 range, which should be close to the price of renting a tux. Chances are these will fit well off the rack with minor adjustments needed. You can probably get some ok quaity patent shoes at those stores too. If you're in NY, Topman is a good place to check out as well. 

you're totally welcome for the compliments brother, they're well deserved
pimp.gif

totally concur that khaki and navy are a killer combo, as are navy and any brown-tone...
however im going to say that, while i might couple a pair of old stafford wingtips with some beat up black ksubi that fit well, the color combo is still very similar to that black brown combo, and to be quite honest i just dont see anything wrong with any of it.  might just me being a greasy mission kid (sorry for the reigional talk,[rfx im sure you knwo what i mean
laugh.gif
] others, insert silverlake, brooklyn or wherever the young wannabe creative artsy kids hang out) and thus this tempering my tolerance for it..but i really see this happen all the time, black pants brown belt, black pants brown shoes, you name it..

again, this might not be considered dressing better...not sure at all, but heck i love black and brown!

Back
Top Bottom