Dressing better

What would you guys recommend wearing with a black suit in terms of shirt and tie combo? ( I dont want to do the traditional white shirt/black tie)

Originally Posted by alan713

Hey guys, It's that time of the year again where everyone is reaching for their coats and I wanted to share my experience with two peacoats I purchased today.

I went and checked out the Bayswater Peacoat at J. Crew and end up buying it for $157 and change after the 30% off outerwear then the 25% off purchases over $150. I must admit it is worth it, but I wasn't satisfied with the fitting from the chest down. The J. Crew peacoat just flares too much for my taste. I'm 5ft 10in, 170lbs; I went with a medium. I wouldn't say I have a thin build and I feel there was too much space in the torso area, flaring almost like a dress. I really liked the material and the warmth but the fit just wasn't on point and I returned it back to the store the same day.

I did pick up the University Peacoat from Rugby for $250, down from $350 after the 30% off. This jacket fits amazing, it wasn't too long, the sleeves were correct length and didn't open too wide, , minimal and right amount of flare for a peacoat. It also came with better details and accents. The only drawback was that it isn't insulated like the J. Crew one I returned, which isn't a problem since I actually like layering up so I have a sweater when I have my coat off when I'm at the office or in class.

So if you guys are trying to pick up a peacoat and wanted a better fit, pay the extra cash for another brand. I'm not saying J. Crew's peacoat isn't up to par but it wont fit like it seems on their site, even the model has his hands in his pants pocket in 3 of the angles just to make the flare seem like its just his hands in the pockets. J. Crew's coat is better built than Rugby's but it just doesn't look or fit as good.

You can always get your peacoats taken in, I got it done to my J. Crew thinsulate last year. The fit came out nice. The reason that the J.Crew ones have a flare is because they don't have a flap in the back, and as such to accomodate for thigh movement they have to maintain some sort of larger opening down below ( I believe this to be the case at least). In any case I was able to get mine altered for $40, I haven't seen any issues with the alteration as of yet, so just shooting that out there as a suggestion.

Hey guys, It's that time of the year again where everyone is reaching for their coats and I wanted to share my experience with two peacoats I purchased today.

I went and checked out the Bayswater Peacoat at J. Crew and end up buying it for $157 and change after the 30% off outerwear then the 25% off purchases over $150. I must admit it is worth it, but I wasn't satisfied with the fitting from the chest down. The J. Crew peacoat just flares too much for my taste. I'm 5ft 10in, 170lbs; I went with a medium. I wouldn't say I have a thin build and I feel there was too much space in the torso area, flaring almost like a dress. I really liked the material and the warmth but the fit just wasn't on point and I returned it back to the store the same day.

I did pick up the University Peacoat from Rugby for $250, down from $350 after the 30% off. This jacket fits amazing, it wasn't too long, the sleeves were correct length and didn't open too wide, , minimal and right amount of flare for a peacoat. It also came with better details and accents. The only drawback was that it isn't insulated like the J. Crew one I returned, which isn't a problem since I actually like layering up so I have a sweater when I have my coat off when I'm at the office or in class.

So if you guys are trying to pick up a peacoat and wanted a better fit, pay the extra cash for another brand. I'm not saying J. Crew's peacoat isn't up to par but it wont fit like it seems on their site, even the model has his hands in his pants pocket in 3 of the angles just to make the flare seem like its just his hands in the pockets. J. Crew's coat is better built than Rugby's but it just doesn't look or fit as good.

You can always get your peacoats taken in, I got it done to my J. Crew thinsulate last year. The fit came out nice. The reason that the J.Crew ones have a flare is because they don't have a flap in the back, and as such to accomodate for thigh movement they have to maintain some sort of larger opening down below ( I believe this to be the case at least). In any case I was able to get mine altered for $40, I haven't seen any issues with the alteration as of yet, so just shooting that out there as a suggestion.

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Originally Posted by maulrat

Thank you. Hopefully your opinion stays the same when I tell you the suit is black... The lighting is a little weird.

you cant wear tan shoes with a black suit,maulrat. you could but it doesnt match.
Dude you constantly post stuff that makes you seem like you get all your information from those lame **@ "xx Rules to Live By" lists put out by GQ and Esquire.  Quit being so old school and branch out your views.  Clothes are meant as a form of expression, there are no rules to fashion. 

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Originally Posted by maulrat

Thank you. Hopefully your opinion stays the same when I tell you the suit is black... The lighting is a little weird.

you cant wear tan shoes with a black suit,maulrat. you could but it doesnt match.
Dude you constantly post stuff that makes you seem like you get all your information from those lame **@ "xx Rules to Live By" lists put out by GQ and Esquire.  Quit being so old school and branch out your views.  Clothes are meant as a form of expression, there are no rules to fashion. 

Did you change the jacket Maulrat? I ask because the jacket looks much longer in the new pics.

Did you change the jacket Maulrat? I ask because the jacket looks much longer in the new pics.

Originally Posted by Aze201

I did actually- forgot to.mention that. I exchanged it for a 38R instead of the Short.

Originally Posted by Aze201

I did actually- forgot to.mention that. I exchanged it for a 38R instead of the Short.

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Originally Posted by tommycap06

That bayswater coat is really nice, and Jcrew is having 30% off on outerwear in store right now..

any way, im bored..

New pocket squares
Ted Baker - Lanvin - Hugo Boss

those p/s's are very nice
Thank you sir, but I feel like I may have found a new thing to collect...
grin.gif

how yall stay warm via dress pants? my first winter on the eastcoast. i think ima freeze. i dont wanna have to buy 5-8 new dress pants to keep warm(expensive) yall just do long johns underneath?

Originally Posted by jthagreat

how yall stay warm via dress pants? my first winter on the eastcoast. i think ima freeze. i dont wanna have to buy 5-8 new dress pants to keep warm(expensive) yall just do long johns underneath?

Pretty much, my personal way of dealing with it, wearing basketball shorts under. Thicker usually than Long John's and do the job as well.

Originally Posted by SoleFX

What would you guys recommend wearing with a black suit in terms of shirt and tie combo? ( I dont want to do the traditional white shirt/black tie)

Depends on the event.

Originally Posted by sarteaga0408

Originally Posted by jthagreat

Pretty much, my personal way of dealing with it, wearing basketball shorts under. Thicker usually than Long John's and do the job as well.
This was in GQa couple of months back..
I did this last week with a pair of Alexander Wang sweatpants that are cut tight like the ones pictured below. It works

harry-shum-10-layer-thick.jpg

10. Layer It On Thick
Steal this trick from hockey players and lumberjacks...even if you're chained to a cubicle: Layer long johns under your suit. We like the breathable (and cheap) Heattech stuff from Uniqlo.

Shirt, $98 by Gant Rugger. Heattech long johns, $20 by Uniqlo. Pants (in hand), Gant by Michael Bastian.

Originally Posted by Lorizzle

Yeah, the opening is a little wider so it doesn't restrict your legs when walking.  I haven't tried on the Rugby one but I know it would be less bulky and fit better than the Bayswater since it doesn't have the insulation and Rugby generally fits slimmer.  I don't notice the flare really.  I'd rather be really warm than wear something tight that i'll freeze in.  I wore it a few nights ago in the city and was actually sweating.
For the people wanting to wear Heattech under their dress pants, I tried some out yesterday and i'm wearing them right now.  They're alright.  I wore them under some heavy RRL selvedge jeans and was still cold.  Was expecting better.  The Merona (Target) slim thermal longjohns I have are way better. 

Any idea where I can find boots similar to these(random tumblr pic)? I thought maybe they were Levi, but a google search didn't show anything like them.
tumblr_lw4nc810391qzleu4o1_500.jpg

went to CANADA over the weekend, Scotch & Soda at Toronto Eaton Centre had a very good sale. Heads up for all CA folks.

Buy any regular priced items, get ANY sale item 50% off. I bought a beanie for 39 and jacket worth of 200 sale price which marked down to 100. Not sure if other US stores are doing this promo

I was a bit hesitant on the Heat-Tech gear from Uniqlo...thought it was a gimmick more than anything.

Also, def a no-no on basketball shorts under dress pants, how do you even get your dress pants over them??

Originally Posted by dreClark

Yeah man definitely do the long johns under dress pants, not the bball shorts :Lol

basketball shorts only if your SO gets turned on by them and loves them on you.

but if you plan on getting any during the course of the day, the better look is long johns/thermal underwear.

Going to Vegas New Years, my friends and I plan on rocking suits.

I dont wanna look TOO formal just walking around lounges and clubs, can anyone reccomend me a look that isnt too stuffy?

I was thinking a black or grey suit with a deep red inside shirt and a black tie?

something like that

Back
Top Bottom