Dressing better

Ok, I ordered my Ben Sherman bag from Gilt on the 10th & I have no shipping update on the site.

I'll give them a call on Monday.

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

The Hundreds must be seriously hurting..

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ "dressing better" being fashion snobbery..

again it is speaking to people who want to "dress better" read:

Originally Posted by Falcon4567

Y'know he's not talking about us the consumer, he's talking about other designers:

As a consumer, if you wanna go get your grown man on, enjoy yourself. You’ve moved beyond streetwear, I understand, and I’m sorry to see you go. But for our fellow streetwear brand-runners, I think it’s important to remember who our collective customer is. He’s young, he’s not so serious, maybe he likes to skate, and perhaps listen to hip-hop. He was a lot like you, actually, back when you weren’t so conscious of being an aged fashionista or trying to look serious in your grown-man clothes, when in fact you look even more ridiculous trying to do so.

See its not about us since we're a lost cause as far as he's concerned but he's worried about streetwear not being streetwear anymore. We don't have a dog in this fight really.

it'd be like toys'r'us saying they're no longer going to sell toys anymore and start selling furniture because kids eventually become adults, instead staying with the ideals that made them appeal to youth...there is a slight jab to those "dressing better", not because they want to but because they are trying to be something they are not, because despite the classic nature of more formal attire, it is becoming quite trendy to do so. to eschew jeans, sneakers, & tees for designer denim, loafers & blazers; there definitely is a fad quotient to the "dressing better" movement...

Originally Posted by tokes99

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Y'know he's not talking about us the consumer, he's talking about other designers:

As a consumer, if you wanna go get your grown man on, enjoy yourself. You’ve moved beyond streetwear, I understand, and I’m sorry to see you go. But for our fellow streetwear brand-runners, I think it’s important to remember who our collective customer is. He’s young, he’s not so serious, maybe he likes to skate, and perhaps listen to hip-hop. He was a lot like you, actually, back when you weren’t so conscious of being an aged fashionista or trying to look serious in your grown-man clothes, when in fact you look even more ridiculous trying to do so.

See its not about us since we're a lost cause as far as he's concerned but he's worried about streetwear not being streetwear anymore. We don't have a dog in this fight really.

it'd be like toys'r'us saying they're no longer going to sell toys anymore and start selling furniture because kids eventually become adults, instead staying with the ideals that made them appeal to youth...there is a slight jab to those "dressing better", not because they want to but because they are trying to be something they are not, because despite the classic nature of more formal attire, it is becoming quite trendy to do so. to eschew jeans, sneakers, & tees for designer denim, loafers & blazers; there definitely is a fad quotient to the "dressing better" movement...

You're right but good luck getting many to admit it.
laugh.gif

Although he isn't talking about consumers, he definitely has a problem about those who have moved on as well and might not be purchasing their product. He seems to have a legitimate gripe about it.

From THE HUNDREDS Blog, a shout out to this thread?

[h2]GROW UP.[/h2]
I have nothing against rolled-up jeans and boots.  I have nothing against all the newfound fashion snobbery.  (Well, maybe I do, but that’s a blog post for another time).  I just think it can be unfortunate that everybody’s on this dressing “older

fashion should be free from all the labels, at the end of the day everything is an article of clothing. Personally I look for versatility in how I express myself , but at the same time believe in meshing everything together to makes sense while sticking to my roots.

I feel where TH is coming from in people who are frontin though....the fashion conscious look can be so static...especially if your not true to that life...you'll end up looking like everybody else...

I'm for implementing all the aspects of fashion that make sense for me personally.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I certainly wouldn't say it isn't becoming a trend, boat shoes sale and desert boots might be at an all time high and it will slow down a bit later on but it will still be there. It has been there for decdes, kind of like the polo shirt fad a few years ago. People acted like it was just invented then but it has stuck and people still wear polo these days more often and I think that is one step to the classic stylings direction.
With this new trend and with more fashion brand adapting it, going with a well fitted look, there is hope that some of that will stick. That people that buy these button ups, sweaters and blazers that fit well will adapt that style to theirs. Again, a classic blue blazer that fits well will never go out of style, a classic blue oxford shirt will never go out of style, a classic pair of chukkas will never go out of style, the same way that a pair of chucks will never go out of style. This new trend has more staying power, I don't think we'll be throwing out chinos or blazers away in a few years for the same reason we threw away our Fubu shirts and Phat Farm jeans.

As for me, I can't say I promote designer denim because all I wear are Levis and H&M.

To be honest, I think designer jeans are on the fall and less people are caring about selvedge. The days of TR, SFAM, RR, etc.. are pretty much done.

I wouldn't consider APC, Nudie, etc... designer really.

I can't say I promote dress shoes/boots more often than sneakers because I buy more of the former than the latter. 

But again, buy classic shoes and it will be in your rotation forever.

A lot of truth ^^^

You can tell it's just another trend for a lot of people.

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

Ok, I ordered my Ben Sherman bag from Gilt on the 10th & I have no shipping update on the site.

I'll give them a call on Monday.

I ordered one as well, it said it ships in march. they haven't charged my credit card either so just make sure you keep cash in there....but keep me updated on what they tell you as well..

Originally Posted by RFX45

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I certainly wouldn't say it isn't becoming a trend, boat shoes sale and desert boots might be at an all time high and it will slow down a bit later on but it will still be there. It has been there for decdes, kind of like the polo shirt fad a few years ago. People acted like it was just invented then but it has stuck and people still wear polo these days more often and I think that is one step to the classic stylings direction.
With this new trend and with more fashion brand adapting it, going with a well fitted look, there is hope that some of that will stick. That people that buy these button ups, sweaters and blazers that fit well will adapt that style to theirs. Again, a classic blue blazer that fits well will never go out of style, a classic blue oxford shirt will never go out of style, a classic pair of chukkas will never go out of style, the same way that a pair of chucks will never go out of style. This new trend has more staying power, I don't think we'll be throwing out chinos or blazers away in a few years for the same reason we threw away our Fubu shirts and Phat Farm jeans.

As for me, I can't say I promote designer denim because all I wear are Levis and H&M.

To be honest, I think designer jeans are on the fall and less people are caring about selvedge. The days of TR, SFAM, RR, etc.. are pretty much done.

I wouldn't consider APC, Nudie, etc... designer really.

I can't say I promote dress shoes/boots more often than sneakers because I buy more of the former than the latter. 

But again, buy classic shoes and it will be in your rotation forever.

a white tee, jeans, & sneakers is just as classic in youth culture but i don't think anyone would argue that reached epic fad proportions...just because a thing has achieved that kind of staple status doesn't mean it can't be bastardized like anything else...especially with fashion. right now this whole "grown up" look is cool, doesn't change that it may be classic in its appeal, and this "casual formal" look is trendy...there is no doubt that it started organically with people getting older & moving to a more office friendly, cool. however, when you have people that don't really need that type of utility going that route, you have to question whether it because of it being time tested or is it just being dictated as what is "in style" and especially being that the price of admission can be prohibitively high...

BTW I want to find a phrase that's even more offensive than "I don't have a dog in this fight" to replace it. I'm thinking "I don't have a baby in this dumpster".

imo...

thehundreds is entitled to their opinion but to me it seems like they are pretty salty towards where fashion is heading. fashion like anything is based on trends, it all goes around in circles over time. they're now complaining because people are jumping ship to the new trend of "dressing better". why were they not complaining when they were pretty hot selling their adam bomb logo'd fitteds, hoodies, tees etc. when the hypebeast trend was on that train ? now that business has slowed down and people have migrated to a new trend he's going to complain ? personally i have no problems with the brand but when they were raking in the money they sure as hell weren't complaining is all i'm saying...

Id love those shoes if it werent for the leather.  Theres just something about leather (patent) toeboxes that I hate.

Shame.

Originally Posted by akaseandaley

[h2]GROW UP. [/h2]
been gone for a couple days ... but i agree with most of the comments raised about this article. everybody goes through a sartorial transformation ... even from the clothes your parents buy for you ... through your high school gear, college wear and then beyond.

i dont know this vendor ... did a quick google search to see their product line, and it looks like they were/are a vendor that actually benefitted from a fad. so if that fad has passed away or is passing, they need to adapt ... like RFX said, to the new "fad" if that is dressing better.

its strange you do not find companies like Brooks Brothers, Polo RL etc complaining despite the change in fads over the years. that is because their fashion philosophy is enthrenced in creating and selling classic clothing ... and that is a "fad" that never dies.

Beeswax DB's are so necessary.

I wear mine almost everyday to work. They are getting some good wear on them, but still look great

both sides of the argument raise points..but im gonna have to say that dressing in timeless clothing is not a fad..its just something that people choose to do ..or not do..

people have been wearing suits for years and blazers..fitting jeans and shirts..nothing new...

nii brings up a good point about brands like RL and such

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Originally Posted by akaseandaley

[h2]GROW UP. [/h2]
been gone for a couple days ... but i agree with most of the comments raised about this article. everybody goes through a sartorial transformation ... even from the clothes your parents buy for you ... through your high school gear, college wear and then beyond.

i dont know this vendor ... did a quick google search to see their product line, and it looks like they were/are a vendor that actually benefitted from a fad. so if that fad has passed away or is passing, they need to adapt ... like RFX said, to the new "fad" if that is dressing better.

its strange you do not find companies like Brooks Brothers, Polo RL etc complaining despite the change in fads over the years. that is because their fashion philosophy is enthrenced in creating and selling classic clothing ... and that is a "fad" that never dies.

The Hundreds started from some cats off NT. So if the article was a direct shot at this thread it's no surprise.

I mean I have streetwear that I cop from time to time but honestly I wouldn't buy anything from them. Never liked the design. No hate, it's just my taste. I don't wanna be wearing no smiley bomb-omb t-shirt type gear.

So the Hundreds starting cracking since people are over that Californian lifestyle they've been pushing for the past 10 years. They would have a legitimate argument if they were still ONLY making tees. People evolve, just how they've evolved by adding jeans, khakis, bags, shorts, woven shirts, and polos to their line (and that's only AFTER Crooks decided to step up the "streetwear" game). They came off as the old hip-hop rappers talking about rap music of today.

There's your lane, the left lane, and the shoulder...pick one.

Back
Top Bottom