DSLR help! CANON REBEL T2i vs. SONY a33/$!% - Suggestions?

Ok, so I don't usually make threads on NT. It's rare. just need some user input. So anyway, I'm looking to buy a new DSLR because my current pos cam won't get the job done when it comes to photography AND video.
Are there any NTers here that are knowledgeable with DSLRs? I've scoured the internet looking for reviews and they're mixed. I'm leaning towards the Sony a33 or !%% because it has continuous auto focus when recording movies. The T2i rebel doesn't. The a33 has less MP's than the !%%. The !%% also has GPS tagging. So, right now it's the !%% for me. Just not sure if I'm overlooking something. That's why I need a little help choosing. The 3 DSLR's are in my price range, that's why I chose these 3.

My main question is, do any of you have these DSLRs and what are your reviews? Any suggestions where I can get the camera cheaper too?

Any help aside from the usual sarcasm and childishness would be appreciated.

Ok, so I don't usually make threads on NT. It's rare. just need some user input. So anyway, I'm looking to buy a new DSLR because my current pos cam won't get the job done when it comes to photography AND video.
Are there any NTers here that are knowledgeable with DSLRs? I've scoured the internet looking for reviews and they're mixed. I'm leaning towards the Sony a33 or !%% because it has continuous auto focus when recording movies. The T2i rebel doesn't. The a33 has less MP's than the !%%. The !%% also has GPS tagging. So, right now it's the !%% for me. Just not sure if I'm overlooking something. That's why I need a little help choosing. The 3 DSLR's are in my price range, that's why I chose these 3.

My main question is, do any of you have these DSLRs and what are your reviews? Any suggestions where I can get the camera cheaper too?

I just got a A33. Here are some differences I learned at Fry's.
A33 has autofocus built into the body, whereas the T2i has the autofocus built into the lens. This means that the Canon lens are more expensive than the Sony.
Sony A33 is a little friendlier for beginners to take pictures with.
A33 also captures continuous pictures at 7 fps which will be a little faster than the T2i.
But both are great. We just got the A33 because it was easier to use.

I just got a A33. Here are some differences I learned at Fry's.
A33 has autofocus built into the body, whereas the T2i has the autofocus built into the lens. This means that the Canon lens are more expensive than the Sony.
Sony A33 is a little friendlier for beginners to take pictures with.
A33 also captures continuous pictures at 7 fps which will be a little faster than the T2i.
But both are great. We just got the A33 because it was easier to use.

Amazon.com has the body only for each pretty cheap compared to Fry's. You're going to have to pick up lenses too.

Sony Alpha SLTA33L DSLR with Translucent Mirror Technology (Black)
ir

Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only)
ir

Very good video namtsui. Looks great even in 480p. I noticed the stabilization power more toward the end when you're moving the cam around on the girl. I like how it turned out. I only wonder how AMAZING it looks in 1080p.

The rebel has the memory slots on the bottom as opposed to the sony's side slot. Also the rebel's lcd doesnt tilt like the Sony's. I'm leaning toward the @+* because it has more megapixels, fps (pics), and gps tagging too but im not sure if its worth the extra hundred bucks. The rebel t2i turned me away because it doesn't have auto focus continuation during video mode. That's a huge seller for me because Im a film maker on a budget.

I'm pretty much sold on the Sony models but I'd love to hear others' opinions on these cameras too. Maybe I'm missing something.

Very good video namtsui. Looks great even in 480p. I noticed the stabilization power more toward the end when you're moving the cam around on the girl. I like how it turned out. I only wonder how AMAZING it looks in 1080p.

The rebel has the memory slots on the bottom as opposed to the sony's side slot. Also the rebel's lcd doesnt tilt like the Sony's. I'm leaning toward the @+* because it has more megapixels, fps (pics), and gps tagging too but im not sure if its worth the extra hundred bucks. The rebel t2i turned me away because it doesn't have auto focus continuation during video mode. That's a huge seller for me because Im a film maker on a budget.

I'm pretty much sold on the Sony models but I'd love to hear others' opinions on these cameras too. Maybe I'm missing something.

With Sony products you're always getting more bang for your buck. 
One of the main reasons it's not doing better financially (apart from terrible management). They do not cut corners, for the most part, on any of their products and thus their margins are a bit tighter than they otherwise could be. Their quality control is the best as well. 

With Sony products you're always getting more bang for your buck. 
One of the main reasons it's not doing better financially (apart from terrible management). They do not cut corners, for the most part, on any of their products and thus their margins are a bit tighter than they otherwise could be. Their quality control is the best as well. 

Originally Posted by GottaBdaShoes

I can't believe no one mentioned Nikon. Jeez, y'all don't deserve to be photographers without that brand.

I can't believe no one mentioned Nikon. Jeez, y'all don't deserve to be photographers without that brand.

Originally Posted by justforsneaks

I'm not interested in Nikon.
None of them are in the price range or near the specs that I'm looking for. They're great cameras is you buy the top of the line stuff. When you compare the mid level models to sony and canon, nikon cancels themselves out imo. I'm really leaning toward Sony.

Originally Posted by justforsneaks

I'm not interested in Nikon.
None of them are in the price range or near the specs that I'm looking for. They're great cameras is you buy the top of the line stuff. When you compare the mid level models to sony and canon, nikon cancels themselves out imo. I'm really leaning toward Sony.

Canon (or Nikon).

More and better choice in lenses compared to Sony, and lenses you put on are more important than the camera itself in terms of image quality.

Canon (or Nikon).

More and better choice in lenses compared to Sony, and lenses you put on are more important than the camera itself in terms of image quality.

Back
Top Bottom