Dying Young, Black (Michael Wilbon)

Originally Posted by MyTsharp

The fact of the matter is that Sean Taylor is dead.

He was a black man/father/brother/son killed by another black man.

And the problem is happening WAY too much.

There is not a day that goes by when I don't venture into Baltimore City and worry if I'm going to make it back home to see my wife. Why? Its not because I'm going through the white part of town, but because I'm going through North Ave. and Greenmount, or I'm going to drop off HarmcityHustler and drive my rusty*$%* Saturn through Fayette St. Working in the city, I've never had a white customer tell me that they were going to shoot or stab me, or wait for me to walk outside of my place of business like black people have.

I have no problem with Whitlock's article, simply because it is truth. Look at the statistics, black on black crime has been an issue since as long as I've been alive, and damn sure as long as most of you older heads have been breathing.

I love my people, and you all know that. But these people have no value over human life, if they go to jail thats more respect for them, they KNOW that they are going to die early, so like Katt Williams said, "how are you gonna scare someone that WANTS to die?" @++% is out of control.

And for those to say, "Well Hip Hop has nothing to do with it", be realistic. You are a grown man, you've been raised a certain way because our parents had respect growing up themselves, but this generation of 20 and under seems like they were raised off of the music. Everyone wants to be famous, no one wants to work for it. Its all about "Gettin' Money". Hell I could "Get Money" too, but I'd rather do it the right way, and dammit if it takes me til I'm 40 to be "Gettin Money" then thats what I'll have to do, but at least I'll be able to say I made it to see 40.

I don't know jo, its a bad moon rising, for all you that have kids or are having kids, raise them young'ns right, and if you have kids in your neighborhood, teach them something, because somebody has to.

RIP Sean Taylor.

My-T.
Put a fork in it cause My-T just shut the thread down with that.
Turns out Whitlock was half right, they weren't people from Taylor's past, one was actually someone in Taylor's present who he was genuinely tryingto help by employing them, sad.

@ badgeman - put a fork in it, this discussion is over cause you say so?...(the irony of your statement is something agreat writer couldn't have written)

sociology teaches us that people of the same race stick together. what does thatmean? you see concentration of the same race/nationality living/working/playing together. well what does that haveto do with anything? most murders are done by people you know, and people in your area. that means the leading killer of white people is white people,the leading killer of spanish people is, guess who......you guessed it spanish people. so they black on black crime thing is such a mind %@%* to create chaos,and perception of lawlessness, that then justifies "excessive use of force", or a police state. (DISCLAIMER: IDO NOT MEAN NOR INTENT TO DISCOUNT THE LEVEL OF VIOLENCE IN THE BLACK COMMUNITY AS SOMEHOW OKAY, OR NOT THAT BAD....but in the context of the nationalmedia never doing stories on the black community of upliftment, what really is the purpose of "BLACK ON BLACK" crime epidemic stories.....read scaretactics)

white supremacy is the greatest killer in the world. white supremacy dictates that white people are better, and in orderfor whites to be better it means that everyone else is bad. how do you make everyone bad? well control theirself-worth. how do you do that? media...is a great way to do that. ok, so whatdoes that mean though? it means that perception is a beast, and if you create the "big, black menace", it serves several purposes. you createterror amongst the people of the world, and you continue to justify, institutional racism. institutional racism...come ondude, you always got to scream racism. aint nobody screamin' ***** at me like hip-hoppers. when are black people gonna stop blaming white people for theirproblems? after jim crow, outright racism, had to evolve, because it was no longer socially acceptable. so that means that the klan members traded intheir hoods for suits, and briefcases. stop with the history class already and make your point. give me a second, and let me frame this a bit. the white KKKpost-jim crow, they time began an extremely subtle move. they began to associate crime with black. over the last ten years crime has decreased over thecountry. look it up, this aint me fish'n at straws it's fact. the same time crime is going down incarceration rates of steadily increased over the sameperiod of time. a more convincing argument is that imprisonment rates have continued to rise while crime rates have fallen because we have become progressivelymore punitive: not because crime has continued to explode (it hasn't), not because we made smart policy choices, but because we have made a collectivedecision to increase the rate of punishment. despite a sharp national decline in crime, american criminal justice has become crueler and less caring than ithas been at any other time in our modern history. why?

let me know if anyone is ready for that question to be answered...i'll pause now cause i feel like i'm preaching.

And still...

Even with "Mr. Stay Black" statement (which is valid, but still only tackles ONE SIDE like Whitlock himself), no one has YET to tackle this"BLACK KKK" term...........................

So, until then, I'll read with goggles on.

There are two sides to every story. Y'all act like black folks made ghettos and wanna be in them. The mindset, lack of education and resources andresponsibility, etc. is embedded throughout generations for decades -- initial fault NONE of ours.

You initially start off disadvantaged, and it continues down the line, guess what you get...........?

Whatever.

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

And still...

Even with "Mr. Stay Black" statement (which is valid, but still only tackles ONE SIDE like Whitlock himself), no one has YET to tackle this "BLACK KKK" term...........................

So, until then, I'll read with goggles on.

There are two sides to every story. Y'all act like black folks made ghettos and wanna be in them. The mindset, lack of education and resources and responsibility, etc. is embedded throughout generations for decades -- initial fault NONE of ours.

You initially start off disadvantaged, and it continues down the line, guess what you get...........?

Whatever.
If people are going to let a term used provocatively (and inaccurately IMO) at the beginning of the article (obviously in an attempt to get people toread it) and a brief mention of him blaming hip-hop overshadow the other points made throughout the entire article then one-sided responses are unfortunatelyinevitable.

Originally Posted by whyblaque

@ badgeman - put a fork in it, this discussion is over cause you say so?...(the irony of your statement is something a great writer couldn't have written)

Apparently I'm slow today, please define the irony you found in my earlier statement.

I am a fan of the Whitlock Barrage....... but I do have an issue with him and his go to move, " Blame it on Hip-Hop".
Hip-Hop in its present marketed form is a indirect cause of a larger problem.... It is not a THE cause.

Lack of Families respnsible for their actions... and their children
One of the worst public school systems in the world
Lack of real after school programs
Lack of real rehabilitation programs for felons ( and no putting folks in cells to lift weights is not rehab)
Lack of communities pulling together to watch out for each others instead of the dont snitch mentality..

Now, throw in the media sensationalism of violence, sexism, corruption, lack of values/morals... and you get what society is/had become
de-evolution ( thanks Meth
pimp.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom