EA Blocks Multiplayer Mode On Used Games

Earlier today, Andrew Wilson - Senior VP of Worldwide Development for EA Sport - answered some questions about EA Sports' new program intended to discourage or at least profit from the secondary game market, Online Pass.

9939655aaa.jpg

The program will first launch with Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 and persist in every PS3 and Xbox 360 EA Sports release after that. Registration codes for the Online Pass will be included in each new copy of the game and they are unique, meaning they can only be used once. This means if you buy the game used, you would have to purchase an Online Pass for that game for $10. The same would hold true if you rented the game from Gamefly or Blockbuster.

In addition to unlocking online play for the game, every Online Pass will come with bonus content. For instance, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 will come with a bonus in-game driver. Wilson made it very clear that users are not just paying for online play, but premium content. 

Publishers have been looking for ways to combat game rentals and the secondary markets like Gamestop and eBay for years, and it appears EA has come up with an inventive way to combat it, or at least make some money off it.

Got me really missin ESPN 2K5 ...

6oosw4.gif

Hahah, that gif is bananas.

But yeah... Gamestop is making a killing off the used game market and the developers and publishers don't see a dime from it. I'm curious to see how this affects the industry.

It's understandable, but that doesn't stop it from being bull +%*@. You're saying the only way to enjoy a game is if you buy it brand new. But somehow video game prices haven't come down in how long?

So if I let a friend borrow a game to see if he wants to buy it...$%+# him then right?

If EA profits off this:

really though, this is bad news for those of us that depend on Used game sales for our gaming fix. Even worse for gamefly users, pay $20/month to try a game you're not sure you'll like to pay an extra $10 to confirm you don't like?

double-dip.png

DOUBLE DIPPERS

imagine reselling a car and having to pay Ford $3 grand even after buying the car. What about nike shoes? Do I gotta pay Nike again on the resell?

My rights are transferred to the person I sell it to. Since I can no longer play or use the item, everything is transferred over, in theory.

Scum of the earth, yet people give them the benefit of doubt since GS is really no better. A true battle of two evils.

WOW. im glad i dont play madden anymore. thats all EA really has anyways. dont really play tiger woods or FIFA.

Originally Posted by jumpman247

PC games have been doing this for years, and years.

Thatttts different. That's done to prevent piracy, not to discourage second hand sales.

this prevents piracy as well though. there are people who play burned games, and this forces them to buy the code as well

Originally Posted by bjamez20

this prevents piracy as well though. there are people who play burned games, and this forces them to buy the code as well

Its not about what it may prevent, its about why they're doing it in the first place:

As EA Sports' Senior VP of Worldwide Development, Andrew Wilson, notes,"We think it's fair to get paid for the services we provide and toreserve these online services for people who pay EA to access them."

This isn't going to affect anyone.

I mean who seriously buys used sports games? The only discount games are the old ones and no one is trying to buy Madden 08 when its 2010.

This is !@$@*++%, but it also doesn't affect me in the least....

I can barely play the games I have OFFLINE, much less finding time to play online.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

I mean who seriously buys used sports games? The only discount games are the old ones and no one is trying to buy Madden 08 when its 2010.

I do it every year I buy so many games through out the year that the sports games just have to wait, and then I wait till I can get it for cheap used, but that's gonna suck I really don't want to buy a brand new madden.

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

It is not only sports games people are worried about, this will spread to all their other games. EA publishes some of the most popular online multiplayer games in every genre. And they might attached access to gamertags instead of systems. So if there are multiple users with different gamertags on one system, each person would have to spend extra to get online access. That is a ripoff plain and simple. And if they are allowed to get away with this, other publishers will be sure to follow

Oh ok so Xbox users have to pay $60, and money for Microsoft points for DLC, to play cruddy EA games? And if you buy it used you have to pay $10 to play a feature that comes standard with every online game yeah that sounds resonable
pimp.gif

what about the GameFly users who pay $20 a month? $60 for every EA game, DLC, and $20 a month subscription.

How people are not outraged by this is beyond me. They make a fortune regurgitating the same Madden, Fifa, NBA, and MLB games and now they want MORE money. Absolute Bull ###+

-The Juice

this isn't gonna work out so don't get your panties in a bunch. you should invest some of that pissed off energy into something useful

It would be easier to understand if EA actually was responsible for providing online game play to users like how its done on the PC, but isn't that Microsoft and Sony's responsibility?

I mean (some one correct me if I'm wrong) couldn't MS or Sony turn around and say "we actually provide the platform for online gaming, so give us a cut of that online pass money" ?

If anything I would think that this actually helps players like me who don't play online and buy used games. This will bring down the price of used games even more.

So they're basically saying "we can make a crap football game and if you like football you have no choice but to get it since we have a monopoly on the NFL license, and if you don't like the game you will suffer the consequences of selling it and not getting good value for it because they cannot play the game online."

FUKK EA.

Back
Top Bottom