EBAY EXPERTS, CAN A SELLER DO THIS? quick answer needed...!!

Hey, quick postal dispute. I won off of ebay one of my absolutely holiest of grails on ebay recently and paid up right away. Postage on these boots wasstated at $30 in the auction (they're heavy). Then the seller emailed me this;

Hi, I was just @ post office and the shipping cost is $40, not $30. Can you please paypal me an extra $10 to make up thedifference. I am not cheating you, but that was my total @ the post office in nyc. These boots are heavy and I wanted to insure them for the $100 that youpaid, just in case they get lost or damaged. I can email you a copy of the receipt as proof. Please paypal $10.00 to **********@yahoo.comand I will ship same day.
Thx
EW

I sent him this:

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know but you cant do that surely? Thats a breach of ebay rules to state a price (or postage price) and then ask for more. Its not mymistake and i factor postage into my ability to bid, just like everyone else. I sell a lot and even when i get postage wrong never ONCE do i ask for extracause it bad for business.

I think you are telling the complete truth, i dont doubt it at all but thats a bit off isnt it? Do you see my point?

I wouldnt post them until this is resolved.
Hit me back to let me know whats up

G

Can he really do that? Am I being unreasonable by not going along with this? I dont think i am but you guys are the experts

LMK what you guys think

I agree with you, but I understand where he's coming from, though I don't understand why he wouldn't have ironed that out to begin with. If its abig deal to you, just split the cost 5 bucks on both ends. He wants to sell the and they're you're grails, 10 bucks won't be worth the hassle.Congrats on finding them!

i think it's a sign of courtesy if you DO pay, but you're definitely NOT obligated to do so. just remember though, that he is probably leaving hisfeedback after yours. just make sure to be as friendly as possible in your future emails when declining payment. also, unless the auction stated that it wouldbe insured, he also was not obligated to pay that extra $5 or whatnot to insure the package, which could have gone towards the total shipping fee.

No you are completely right. That is their own fault for not making sure what the postage was going to be before listing their items up for sale. You have noneed to reimburse the seller in any way.

You have a point, but the thing is if they are your "holiest of grails", and are that hard to find, does the extra 10 hurt you at all? Wait and seewhat his response is before declining, if it still seems shady then find them elsewhere.
i think it's a sign of courtesy if you DO pay, but you're definitely NOT obligated to do so. just remember though, that he is probably leaving his feedback after yours. just make sure to be as friendly as possible in your future emails when declining payment. also, unless the auction stated that it would be insured, he also was not obligated to pay that extra $5 or whatnot to insure the package, which could have gone towards the total shipping fee.

Very true... Splitting the cost is also a good suggestion.

Just curious..what type of shipping is this guy using?

40 bucks for shipping a pair of boots?...what are they?...skiboots?

Yep... he has to just send them.. he cant ask for any more.

when i buy on ebay im looking to bid the total price... if i want some shoes that id pay $150 for (price+ship) it doesnt really matter what the shipping priceis... it could be $10 and id bid $140 or it could be $30 and id bid $120...

if that was how much you were going to spend on the boots, then thats it.. he cant just ask for more like that

It doesn't matter if they are his "HOLIEST GRAILS" or not. Like he said, it is wrong business ethics to ask a buyer to reimburse you for theirown mistakes. You guys are asking him if the $10 will make a diff to him at all since its his holy grails. Well it can go both ways, does the $10 really make adiff to the seller also? The seller made the mistake and they should just take the lost. I've sold many things on ebay before and i've taken losts fromnot charging enough for shipping. I take the lost cause it was obviously my fault, oh well you live and you learn. Tell the seller to deal with it.

Thanks guys, i know its $10 and i dont wanna ruin the sale but on principle i wanted to mention it and see if he would budge. Principles matter.

Dirty - my holy grails are these hiking boots from the early 1990s...

Air Rhyolite ACG (OGs, catalogue date - Fall 1993 [10/1/93])

liolite.jpg

^the brown pair

But what if it was $20? You have to draw a line somewhere right? Its his miscalculation. Postage is high cause i'm out of the States right now so I relyon good postage rates

Originally Posted by GOTtaBEtheSNEAKERS

It doesn't matter if they are his "HOLIEST GRAILS" or not. Like he said, it is wrong business ethics to ask a buyer to reimburse you for their own mistakes. You guys are asking him if the $10 will make a diff to him at all since its his holy grails. Well it can go both ways, does the $10 really make a diff to the seller also? The seller made the mistake and they should just take the lost. I've sold many things on ebay before and i've taken losts from not charging enough for shipping. I take the lost cause it was obviously my fault, oh well you live and you learn. Tell the seller to deal with it.

All of that makes sense, but we are talking about if he wants those shoes or he wants to get them elsewhere. If he wants them, them and paying the moneydoesnt hurt, he get's what he wants. If not and these are hard shoes to find, he may be taking the loss too trying to prove a point.

Ok, 2 things i should add to make the situation more understood.

*He said that he would try to insure them for up to $100 if i pay up
*There is NO way in hell i will find these again DS outside of maybe even Japan where they would cost maybe x2 or x3 amount. I've only seen them this oncein like 6 years of looking. So if they go missing, i still cant ever get them again

I know i'm technically right but i dunno, maybe i'm risking it

I might be a little confused on the whole situation.
Is he not shipping your shoes out yet because he undercharged for shipping? If this was the case, then I'd say go ahead and pay him.
or
Has he shipped out your shoes already and THEN realized that he undercharged for shipping? I would not reimburse him in this case, because the shoes arealready on the way. The worst he could do is be a prick and leave you a neg. feed back, which I wouldn't bother leaving him feedback first if that was thecase.

My dad has/had those boots...he loved those things! Like you said, out of principle you're completely right, but sometimes you just gotta deal with thelittle stuff. I knowwhat you mean about out of state shipping. When I was in England my fam sent me a care package probably the size of 2 shoe boxes together,took about 6 weeks to get there.

UPDATE:

Ok, he just emailed me back his answer;

Hi, no worries, I agree w/you. Truth is I paid for the shipping, and the boots were mailed today and will reach you next week. I made a mistake when I calculated shipping on usps.com. I wanted to add $100 insurance on the boots which is why they cost an extra $10. If you want to pay the $10 I'd appreciate it. Or, if you want to buy another ebay item from me and add a little extra to make up for the $10. Or if you do pay me the $10, as a favor to you I can send you a set of rare Ralph Lauren catalogs 2002-2007. I can ship them for free, thru my job. FYI, the books usually sell for $10 each!

Thx

EW

So they are on their way, he sent them and just wanted to be covered. He added insurance out of his own pocket to make sure i get them
pimp.gif

I have to give the guy props, he's on point so i think i'll still send $10 for being so reasonable. Thanks to him and a big thanks to NT for all your advice. If i need to ask any question, i know where to come
pimp.gif

yea I would wait till you receive the shoes. It will say the shipping on the box. If it is $40 then send it over. I know it sucks but whatever its $10 and ifthats the cost then thats the cost.

He sounds honest, I once added $2.50 out of my pocket for shipping, cause i listed the fee incorrectly.

I'd pay the $10 in this case I think, or go half.

I've had to pay outta my pocket PLENTY of times when I miscalculate shipping. I've never once asked the buyer to pay me any extra.

Originally Posted by ittakesalittlebitmore

Principles matter.

exactly, dont listen to NT. if it was them they would be askin the samething. it dont matter if its his holy grail or a present for somebody esle

BOTTOMLINE, YOURE RIGHT, THE SELLER IS WRONG.

Back
Top Bottom