Ebay is finally doing something positive for sellers

http://announcements.ebay.com/2012/...-selling-internationally-as-easy-as-domestic/

Attention sellers: Upcoming program will make selling internationally as easy as domestic!

Great news! A new Global Shipping Program, now being tested, will help you expand your sales to millions of eager international buyers. By enrolling for FREE in this program, you’ll be able sell to buyers in multiple countries, but ship your packages to a shipping center located in the US—this means you’re only responsible for the domestic leg of shipping!

Once your item arrives at the designated US shipping center, the Global Shipping Program then takes care of ALL facets of international parcel processing. They’ll:

Complete customs forms
Remit applicable import charges pre-paid by your buyer
Ship the package on to the buyer—with full end-to-end international tracking!

Your shipping-related Detailed Seller Ratings will be protected, and you are not liable for loss or damage during international transit. This program is great for buyers, too, as they’ll see the complete and total price of the purchase up-front—during checkout—so they won’t be surprised by additional taxes or duties when the item arrives.

The Global Shipping Program is currently being piloted with a small group of sellers, and will be more broadly available in the months ahead. Watch this announcement board for further updates—and get ready to go global!

I never had an issue selling domestic, so I see no point in selling overseas - a broader crowd, yes - but still a bigger risk to sell overseas (in my experience).

sounds good correct me if i am reading incorrectly but once it gets to the shipping center i am free of worries (package "not arriving" or anything that would cause the transaction to go bad)?

^^^^ That is correct. Once it arrives at the shipping centre you are done.

Only downside - You know ebay is going to charge a ton for this service and then will make it mandatory (cough, paypal)

I think this is huge if you're a big seller on ebay. Just think how easily accessible some objects are in the U.S. that aren't in other countries. You have so many more eyes viewing your product and hopefully bidding as well. What remains to be seen is the price point.

I think this is huge if you're a big seller on ebay. Just think how easily accessible some objects are in the U.S. that aren't in other countries. You have so many more eyes viewing your product and hopefully bidding as well. What remains to be seen is the price point.

That is what first came to my attention. Look at how much i phones go for in asia im sure there will prob be some kind of rule against it but it opens up a lot of possibilities.

hopefully this leads for an easier time for me to purchase Foamposites at non-Canadian prices

Now that I think about it - it seems to benefit international 'buyers' more than domestic USA sellers.

Now there's going to be increase of shill bidding, deadbeat buyers and more opened claims.

No thanks. I will forfeit this option if possible.

But can't you just use Buy it now with immediate payment required? That's what I do. I've always been weary about selling overseas since there wasn't any international tracking. But this looks very promising..
Now that I think about it - it seems to benefit international 'buyers' more than domestic USA sellers.
Now there's going to be increase of shill bidding, deadbeat buyers and more opened claims.
No thanks. I will forfeit this option if possible.

Just charge the buyer for EMS.
I don't get why people are antsy about selling to foreign countries. EMS has tracking the whole way through and it's not that bad of a price either unless the item you're shipping is big.

i dont like international buyers tho...
Me neither. That snippet still doesn't address whether or not it will be efficiently tracked from the eBay shipping center to the international user's house and if this will thusly stop them from receiving items then filing claims that they didn't because they know USPS and the other carriers don't have competent tracking outside of just the label//customs # which really only verifies it made it to the country's customs, or it's outrageously expensive. It sounds like something they are going to make mandatory too to cause an influx of international bidders and thus higher prices and more FVFs for them, don't see really how it's going to help sellers until I see in action what the policy says about internation item not received cases

^^^

eBay is simply not viable for small-time sellers or people looking to sell the odd item that they don't need anymore. The fees, conditions and the hassles are ridiculous - when all is said and done it's better to just sell locally via Kijiji and CL at a (slightly) lower price.

^^^
eBay is simply not viable for small-time sellers or people looking to sell the odd item that they don't need anymore. The fees, conditions and the hassles are ridiculous - when all is said and done it's better to just sell locally via Kijiji and CL at a (slightly) lower price.
so true, I've been a casual buyer and seller since the beginning and you used to be able to make some money or find some steals on there, but with all the fees nowadays it's not worth it at all to sell, which makes casual sellers leave the marketplace only leaving power sellers not offering deals.  This site definitely needs some competition badly.

It sounds good on paper, but I'm sure sellers will pick up the tab some where along the way in form of a hidden fee or something.

Ebay/paypal fees are so nasty... :smh:

People actually still use Ebay? Haven't used Ebay since 2001. 

Amazon >>>>>>>>>>>>

I never had an issue selling domestic, so I see no point in selling overseas - a broader crowd, yes - but still a bigger risk to sell overseas (in my experience).

Well thats what this is all about, there is no extra risk with this program. Why would you not want a broader audience if the risk is eliminated?

Me neither. That snippet still doesn't address whether or not it will be efficiently tracked from the eBay shipping center to the international user's house and if this will thusly stop them from receiving items then filing claims that they didn't because they know USPS and the other carriers don't have competent tracking outside of just the label//customs # which really only verifies it made it to the country's customs, or it's outrageously expensive. It sounds like something they are going to make mandatory too to cause an influx of international bidders and thus higher prices and more FVFs for them, don't see really how it's going to help sellers until I see in action what the policy says about internation item not received cases

It said you are responsible for the domestic leg of shipping only. That means you ship it to Chicago most likely and your done. No claim if it makes it to Chicago. That's the whole point of the program. This is really great news. The only downside I see for sellers is you aren't going to be able to save buyers custom fees by marking it as a gift with low value. Apparently they are going to be able to see the full customs fees, plus your shipping charge plus whatever ebay is charging them to ultimately ship it to them before they bid which is going to make buyers bid less than they normally would have, I am assuming. It's going to make purchasing from US sellers pretty expensive for international buyers.

this is only bad news for international buyers like myself, im now guaranteed to pay for duty, tax (30% here) and other fees, i rather continue to ship it to my aunt or bff or dont buy anything at all.

EDIT: Frank is spot on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom