Ebro stepping down as Program Director of Hot 97 to focus on being on air personality

[h2]Ebro Darden will be stepping down as Program Director of Hot 97, choosing to focus his efforts on his role as co-host of the Hot 97 Morning Show.[/h2]
A matching job opening on the Emmis Communications job board  confirms that the position is officially open.

In a statement, Darden says, “Emmis let me choose where I would be happiest. Mornings, TV & assisting in programming makes sense with everything HOT 97 and I have happening today, so I chose creative over corporate.”

The move comes in the wake of the recent announcement of a Hot 97 “reality show/unscripted comedy,” This is Hot 97, a weekly series to launch on VH1 on March 31.

Darden made news by making the unorthodox move to become more vocal on the station’s Morning Show after the departure of on-air personality Kay Foxx. He has often stirred up controversy with his views on subjects like New York hip hop and battle rap.

Ebro Darden will continue in the role of Program Director until a replacement is acquired.

We will continue to follow this story and report as more becomes known.

http://www.birthplacemag.com/2014/03/ebro-to-step-down-as-hot-97-program-director/

Stepping down? Yeah aight...Power 105.1 was kicking their *** in ratings & he got demoted. 

Last edited:
Dude is going after the fame and money so I can't knock him...

He's looking at it like should he stay behind the scenes and be an unknown or get out their and go for the fame an money... who's not going to choose option 2... well the money is the main driver of course.

He's seeing now that they about to kick off on this reality tip with VH1 and what not so his face is going to be out there even more bringing him more star power and the money will follow.

Their morning show is so weak though it's not even funny, but the one on 105.1 isn't the greatest but it ***** all over the one on Hot 97 straight up.

It's mostly turned into Ebro doing most of the talking and Rosenberg is in the background just babbling nonsense.

The morning show on Power 105 all of the people talk and have their own personalities and brings something to the table... Evny seems to be the main lead, with Champarlamain the god as the funny clown type dude, and Angela Lee is the level headed one that is innocent and interviews people.

The morning show on Hot 97 has the Spanish dude I don't even know his name and he sounds like he's always hungover from the night before and barely made it into work the following morning and sounds like he doesn't want to be there, Ebro is a dry leader that thinks he has the ability to run the entire show dolo when he can't, and I don't even know who their girl personality is, and Rosenberg thinks like he's some god given hip hop head or something.

Honestly the show on Z100 > Power 105 & Hot 97 but I'd take Power 105 over Hot 97 any day... only reason I'll stay tuned into Hot 97 is if they're playing something I wanna listen too, but almost all of their on air personalities on Hot 97 just needs to be dropped and start looking for new talent because most if not all of them are washed.

They got too comfortable over the years of dominance and talked down to everyone because of their strong hold on the industry, but now that the grip is no more they're quiet as a mouse... especially Flex that dude talks more ish than Puff on a record and I remember when ratings started coming out he talking mad ish to not just Clue and 105 but every other station out there and letting them know he's top dawg and beneath him :lol: dude is/was hilarious but eventually no one can reign supreme forever... except the British Royal Family and the leader of North Korea.

Last edited:
I think this is a great move for the station because quite honestly since he has stepped in their program has been much better and he actually gives a **** about the music being played and the culture. He's also someone who doesn't back off his opinion at all and sometimes that makes for great radio.

And not to mention that i just checked the rating and for the past 4 months Hot 97 and power 105 have been extremely close in ratings

Close or not, when you're a hertiage station in the market, and the upstart has beaten you 5 out of the last 6 months, with Power gaining over 1/2 a share (.6 to be exact) in NY over them in the last 3 months, you're going to be under the microscope.

I think this is a great move for the station because quite honestly since he has stepped in their program has been much better and he actually gives a **** about the music being played and the culture. He's also someone who doesn't back off his opinion at all and sometimes that makes for great radio.

This. He's made their interviews a lot better to me.

I don't know anything about 105 or 97.5's morning shows outside of TBC interviews, the Hot 97 interviews they post online and Juan Ep podcast. But from what I hear on the Juan Ep podcast, I'm not surprised this is happening. Rosenberg and Cipha have subtly hinted at Ebro wanting to come in full time on-air

I've actually enjoyed the morning show less since Ebro got on.

I always found Cypha and Rosenberg funny.
The 3 from power 105 do have better chemistry all around though.

It also feels like 105 books more artists for the morning show that leads to decent interviews. I barely hear any artists stop by hot 97 morning show. That's a big part of the problem.

I liked Ed Lover on 105.1. Never really got into Charlemagne and company.

Not a fan of Ebro. Show hasn't been the same since K Fox left

Close or not, when you're a hertiage station in the market, and the upstart has beaten you 5 out of the last 6 months, with Power gaining over 1/2 a share (.6 to be exact) in NY over them in the last 3 months, you're going to be under the microscope.
Don't ever talk numbers when it comes to radio. Power 105 groupie.

Radio ratings are the most inaccurate way to measure an audience.

They use PPM to measure their audience and before that it was surveys.

Clinton allowed companies to own multiple radio stations in one/multiple markets in 1996.

Which allowed Clear Channel. Clear Channel is the reason why all radio sounds the same.

Clear Channel/Bain Capital are in BILLIONS of dollars in debt.

Only reason Power was created was the split Hot's demo so their stations could dominate the market.

Last edited:
Who listens to the radio in 2014? It's a ancient dying industry.

They all make peanuts. I'm surprised they can afford to live in the city (they probably live in Jersey)

Howard Stern and Opie & Anthony are the only ones still making real money.

No one makes any money in terrestrial radio, except political talk show hosts.

And Scott Shannon (I got a tree on my house). 5MIL a year since 1995.

ALL RADIO MORNING SHOWS ARE HORRENDOUS. UNLISTENABLE BLABBER.

Last edited:

You did all that typing, bolding, and re-sizing and did nothing but rant about a gang of **** that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, with a little sprinkling of stating the obvious in there.

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom