ECF BOS @ DET Game 3 (1-1): Battle shifts to the Palace

Boston Celtics (1-1, 9-7) at Detroit Pistons (1-1, 9-4)
Eastern Conference Finals, Game 3
8:30 PM ET
TV: ABC
The Palace of Auburn Hills

front.jpg

00-Celticslogos.gif

Probable Starters
4149.jpg
PG: Rajon Rondo PPG 11.1 RPG 4.10 APG 6.6 EFF + 15.64
3080.jpg
SF: Paul Pierce PPG 18.7 RPG 4.80 APG 4.1 EFF + 16.50
3253.jpg
SF: Paul Pierce PPG 18.7 RPG 4.80 APG 4.1 EFF + 16.50
3007.jpg
PF: Kevin Garnett PPG 20.3 RPG 9.90 APG 3.5 EFF + 26.00
3730.jpg
C: Kendrick Perkins PPG 6.3 RPG 5.70 APG 0.6 EFF + 10.29

Off the Bench:
Eddie House, James Posey, Leon Powe, Big Baby Davis, Tony Allen, PJ Brown, Sam Cassell

Injuries
Scott Pollard, ankle, out

Inactive
Brian Scalabrine, Gabe Pruitt

930026%7EThe-Palace-at-Auburn-Hills-2004-NBA-Championship-Celebration-Photofile-Posters.jpg

00-pistonsdetlogos.gif

Probable Starters
3174.jpg
PG: Chauncey Billups PPG 15.8 RPG 3.10 APG 5.7 EFF + 16.33
3330.jpg
SG: Rip Hamilton PPG 21.5 RPG 4.80 APG 3.7 EFF + 18.18
3621.jpg
SF: Tayshaun Prince PPG 16.0 RPG 6.20 APG 3.4 EFF + 19.00
3004.jpg
PF: Antonio McDyess PPG 7.5 RPG 6.50 APG 1.1 EFF + 12.09
3006.jpg
C: Rasheed Wallace PPG 13.9 RPG 6.00 APG 1.6 EFF + 14.91

Off the Bench
Jason Maxiel, Arron Afflalo, Linsdey Hunter, Jarvis Hayes, Walter Hermann, Rodney Stuckey, Theo Ratiliff, Juan Dixon

Injuries
None

Inactive

Juan Dixon, Cheikh Samb, Walter Hermann

Key Matchups
RondoBos.jpg
vs
BillupsDet.jpg

Rajon Rondo vs Chauncey Billups
The point guard matchup continues to be the key to this series. Rondo out played Billups in game 1 and it appeared that Billups was still having problems with his hamstring. Between games 1 and 2 Billups apparently had a miraculous healing as he showed no effects from the injury and got the better of this matchup. The backup point guard is also key as Rodney Stuckey dominated and Eddie House struggled with the Pistons' pressure. We might see Sam Cassell in game 3 as this was one of the reasons that the Celtics signed him.

KGBos.jpg
vs
McDyessDet.jpg

Kevin Garnett vs Antonio McDyess
McDyess has played well in both of the games in Boston. He is able to score inside and rebound and has also hit jumpers from the outside. He is the only Piston starter without a ring and so is very motivated and has been playing with great intensity.

Honorable Mention
Celtics Bench vs Pistons Bench
The Celtics starters played well in game 2 and Pierce, Ray Allen and KG all had big games but the bench didn't show up. They had only 8 points and only PJ Brown could be considered to have played well. The Celtics will need more than 8 points from their bench if they expect to win on the road.

Keys to the Game
Defense The Celtics inability to get stops cost them game 2. They allowed the Pistons to shoot 49% and score 103 points. They are capable of playing lock down defense and it is a matter of focus as to whether they do or not. The Pistons picked up their defense but the Celtics didn't. The team that plays the best defense will win this series.

Focus and Intensity The Celtics seemed to lose their focus at times in game 2 and they made mental errors that cost them the game. They must keep their focus and intensity and not allow the Pistons' defense to take it away from them. It seemed that when the Pistons picked up their defense it rattled the Celtics and took them out of their game. They have to focus and play their game regardless of what the Pistons throw at them.

Ball movement The Celtics walked the ball up the court too much in game 2 and that allowed the defenses to get set. The must run the ball up the court whenever possible and they have to move the ball to find the open man. They were dribbling too much and the ball movement stalled. They need to get back to passing the ball to beat the Pistons pressure and find the open man for the best shot.

X-Factors
Bench Play. The Celtics bench must play better than they did in game 2. The starters have to be able to rest without worrying about the bench losing a lead or digging a hole for them to have to dig out of.

Officiating The officials have not been very kind to the Celtics so far in the playoffs especially on the road. The Celtics need the refs to at least call it evenly to have a chance to win in Detroit.

I'm not of the mind thinking this is a must win, but the Celt's NEED to at least win one of these two games in Detroit.

I have DET winning big tonight.

I do believe BOS will win one in DET, I just don't know when. I know they only have 3 chances (tonight, Monday night, and next Friday night), but Idon't know which one I believe they'll win.

But I don't believe it will be tonight.

I think Detriots got this in one of those 10 point deals, but it was really a lot closer than it seems, because of late fouling and free throws for chances,then Boston takes game 4. I'm really only looking for signs of life. If we go down twice in Detroit, series over.

Originally Posted by bjm5295

I think Detriots got this in one of those 10 point deals, but it was really a lot closer than it seems, because of late fouling and free throws for chances, then Boston takes game 4. I'm really only looking for signs of life. If we go down twice in Detroit, series over.

that sums up my feelings.

Originally Posted by suprafly36

Originally Posted by NobleKane

boston has won in detroit before...

celtics by 7
Boston hasnt won a single road game in playoffs

i still laugh when i remember the atlanta hawk series
roll.gif
celtics arepathetic.

Originally Posted by bangtcg

celtics by 7

roll.gif
celtics are pathetic.

You also remember that they are the ones still playing for the title right? Just checking.
wink.gif

I got Celts by 4 tonight. I mean..you gotta win a road game and start somewhere..

but I do think they'll lose game 4.

Originally Posted by the PGA tour

Originally Posted by bangtcg

celtics by 7

roll.gif
celtics are pathetic.

You also remember that they are the ones still playing for the title right? Just checking.
wink.gif

roll.gif
8th seed.

I'm still nervous, only cause that game in Boston saw two things: Ray Allen's (apparent) return, and the Pistons hitting a barrage of 3's in thethird. Now if Ray goes back to the Ray of late (aka Larry Hughes 2.0) then we are fine, with or without the shooting. But if he plays like he did again, andour shots aren't dropping, this game could be a problem.

Either way, thats all hypothetical, and in my heart I got Detroit being so happy to be back in Auburn Hills they whoop em by 15
happy.gif
Home cookin FTW

Oh, and for the record...if any of these fools....
Sam Cassell
Glen Davis
Tony Allen
PJ Brown
has more than 10 points and contributes to the game being WAY too close and/or a Celtics victory.....I'm puttin a hit out on em. So sick of PJ Brownsjumpshot you don't even know...

Officiating The officials have not been very kind to the Celtics so far in the playoffs especially on the road. The Celtics need the refs to at least call it evenly to have a chance to win in Detroit.

Already...?
eyes.gif

celtics by 7
in all seriousness and all conspiracy talk aside, do you really think the celtics wont win a road game soon? they are due big time.... ray allen wokeup big time late in the last game....

[booker t]tell me he did not just say that?[booker t]

[booker t]tell me he did not just say that?[booker t]

he's a celts fan. if his team is losing, it's got to be because something. right?

I'll be at the game wearin the white shirt and bangin those thunder sticks
pimp.gif

Pistons win big tonight, my 4th ECF game and I'm 3-0. Coincidence? I think not
pimp.gif

Their will be no sleepwalking tonight in the D! Detroit wins by 8! Billups will go off along with a huge Maxiell slam! Boston is finished in 6! 0-6 on the roadthat's pathetic!

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

I have DET winning big tonight.

I do believe BOS will win one in BOS, I just don't know when. I know they only have 3 chances (tonight, Monday night, and next Friday night), but I don't know which one I believe they'll win.

But I don't believe it will be tonight.

I believe you are confused. I know I am.

I don't care if the Celtics haven't won a road game... Detroit better take care of business tonight

pimp.gif

Rockin the authentic SHEED tonight

pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom