Elementary School Shooting: Newtown, Connecticut. 28 confirmed dead, 18 were children

Te innocence of this country has been attacked, im not sure what the next move will be

the innocence of this country was attacked in '01 folk...
or go back farther to '41..

today was us killing ourselves.

I'm so saddened by this. and the shooting at the Excalibur... My people, what are we doing?!

Last edited:
All of the recent shooting tragedies have been bad, but this one is as low as it gets, and really hit me harder than any other one. The school is supposed to be a safe zone; it takes an absolutely sick bastard to do such a thing. 20 innocent children lost their lives and got robbed of their future. :smh:

I feel the solution to end situations like this takes a combination of gun control laws and better therapy of mentally ill people, and treating them while they're young. The most effective kind of therapy is incredibly expensive; it needs to be more accessible. It's a very difficult situation..there really is no one-size-fits-all solution.

All of the recent shooting tragedies have been bad, but this one is as low as it gets, and really hit me harder than any other one. The school is supposed to be a safe zone; it takes an absolutely sick bastard to do such a thing. 20 innocent children lost their lives and got robbed of their future. :smh:

I feel the solution to end situations like this takes a combination of gun control laws and better therapy of mentally ill people, and treating them while they're young. The most effective kind of therapy is incredibly expensive; it needs to be more accessible. It's a very difficult situation..there really is no one-size-fits-all solution.

real talk fam. I hear about people dying and crime and stuff all the time, but this, today, it just really bothered me. Had me crying in my car on the way to the gym just thinking about all the families that lost love ones. All the children that'll never grow up. All the potential that was snatched. Future doctors, lawyers, world leaders, nurses, teachers. All that possibility. All those parents that outlived their children. Hurts me to my heart. I feel so bad for them, and there's not really anything you can say to the victims families, that is a pain that will never go away. :frown:

And unfortunately the right wing will still tote freedom as the reason not to enforce gun control.
I'm not anti gun rights I just think we need to better regulation, better control of the firearms market.

This continual loss of life is ridiculous and they just don't care. If I weren't so desensitized to violence I would
View media item 171949

Writeup on Lanza & his Family from the NYDN:

Link

If this kid has been known to be deeply disturbed or "off" for the better part of 15 years, I'm curious as to the efforts made in that timespan to reach out to him.

Gun control is going to be at the forefront, but I think we need to take a closer look at mental health above everything.

the innocence of this country was attacked in '01 folk...
or go back farther to '41..
today was us killing ourselves.
I'm so saddened by this. and the shooting at the Excalibur... My people, what are we doing?!

America...aka The Beast

We live in the belly of the beast...just look around.

Instead of just being left brain oriented...we need to incorporate more of the right with the left to stay mentally sharp.

for those who say gun laws should not be looked into, are there any examples of a situation where using a gun resulted in something positive? not "oh people need them to protect themselves" but an actual example. just curious 

R.I.P. to the victims. Can't believe this happened. What is this country coming to? A shooting in Oregon last week and now children killed in Connecticut. :smh:

Drugs are not guns. You don't buy drugs to commit mass murders. How man drug dealers are going to really jump into the gun business? 1. They would not be as in demand as drugs. 2. They aren't as easy to move as drugs.
We really cannot stop the production of drugs, nor even slow it down. We can significantly decrease the production of guns.
I'd take my chances with these nuts trying to build pipe bombs than just being able to pull out a gun and start spraying.
That's just as bad imo. If you are a responsible gun owner you wouldn't let people have access to your guns. You don't deserve to own guns if you can't take care of them.
The thing about the responsible Gun Owner thing is he could have STOLEN them then commited the crime before the owner knew.

Lets say I have a cabinet of rifles and rarely takes them out which is not a uncommon thing.A guy I know takes two rifles without me knowing. Since I RARELY take them out except to clean it could be weeks before I know they are gone.

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds. A guy "you know" that somehow knows you have rifles is going to break into your house to steal the rifles and leave your house without you ever knowing? The pro-gun crowd comes up with some of the most outrageous situations. While we are at it, what if someone breaks into a military base and steals airplanes and fires missiles at cities?

Writeup on Lanza & his Family from the NYDN:
Link
If this kid has been known to be deeply disturbed or "off" for the better part of 15 years, I'm curious as to the efforts made in that timespan to reach out to him.
Gun control is going to be at the forefront, but I think we need to take a closer look at mental health above everything.

If he's been off that long why would his mother keep a semi automatic rifle in the house?

That combination is just asking for trouble.

All of the recent shooting tragedies have been bad, but this one is as low as it gets, and really hit me harder than any other one. The school is supposed to be a safe zone; it takes an absolutely sick bastard to do such a thing. 20 innocent children lost their lives and got robbed of their future.
mean.gif

real talk fam. I hear about people dying and crime and stuff all the time, but this, today, it just really bothered me. Had me crying in my car on the way to the gym just thinking about all the families that lost love ones. All the children that'll never grow up. All the potential that was snatched. Future doctors, lawyers, world leaders, nurses, teachers. All that possibility. All those parents that outlived their children. Hurts me to my heart. I feel so bad for them, and there's not really anything you can say to the victims families, that is a pain that will never go away.
frown.gif
I look at it like this--this tragedy brings us as a country to a new low regarding gun violence.  Columbine was an awful event, but it made "sense" in that it was disgruntled, disturbed high schoolers taking out their anger on their peers.  Virginia Tech was another tragedy, but again, it made "sense" in that it was a loner, socially-awkward college student taking out his anger on the peers that he probably felt shunned or slighted by.  And I use the word "sense" for lack of a better word--the violence of these events is indeed senseless in that it didn't have to happen.  But when you look at them, there at least seems to be a connection between the shooter(s) and their victims.  

This elementary school shooting makes no sense whatsoever.  The shooter was in no way connected to the young victims (and presumably the adult ones, too) besides the fact that his mother worked at the school.  This wasn't someone taking out their anger on peers they felt slighted by.  This was an adult gunning down innocent, little children who were just going about their daily business of learning.  As sad as it is, we almost expect these school shootings to be perpetrated by fellow students.  Nobody ever expected an adult to go into an elementary school and take out 20 kids and 6 adults.  It literally boggles the mind because it breaks an unwritten code in our society:  as an adult, you don't harm kids.  And you definitely don't harm mass amounts of children who are in a safe place like school.  

Kids have been victims of violence for years, whether it be from a relative or a stranger.  But again, while this violence is horrible to think about, it makes "sense" in that it has become a part of our society.  Deranged parents harm their kids and some sick individuals find pleasure in abducting and killing children.  In no way am I making excuses for this behavior, but it has become a part of our society that we have to deal with.  This school shooting defies all of that.  We've never had to deal with an adult taking out a large number of 5-10 year olds.  And not only that--this dude went into their world and safe haven in order to accomplish his goal.  When I think about it, it really is inconceivable because it makes no sense.  Columbine, Virginia Tech and a lot of other school shootings, while tragic, make sense in that you can envision a scenario where a deranged individual may think that violence is the answer.  Not that any of us would ever entertain doing something like that, but we can at least see a motive, albeit a ridiculous one.  20 innocent and random kids getting killed by an adult stranger while enriching their lives through education is inconceivable.  There literally is no motive that could help us wrap our heads around the shooter's actions.  It just makes NO sense.  What a sad, sad situation.  I'm still just as gutted from this as I was yesterday.   

As a member/viewer of NikeTalk for a long time, I feel obligated to talk about this. This hits extremely close to home, too close to home. I live in the area and let me first by stating, Newtown is a place that EVERYONE would like to live in. It is middle-upper middle class with some pockets of affluence. It is "off the beaten path" but still has highway access. It's quaint, it's typical New England. Everyone seems to know everyone. You see Suburbans and Volvo's with Newtown stickers on the bumber and Cape Cod stickers on the windows of the cars. There's a huge sense of community. A lot of neighborhood pride. The schools are TOP NOTCH. As someone who lived through Columbine, Tuscon, Aurora, etc. you always say, this could never happen in Newtown, Fairfield County, Connecticut. You just never think it could happen here.

Well, the reality for everyone in America this morning is, if it can happen in Newtown, it REALLY can happen anywhere.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, and I know that not all the specifics of this massacre (can't believe I'm saying that) have been released. However,  I will go out on a limb and say I don't believe this is JUST a GUN CONTROL issue. This is a Mental Health issue that SERIOUSLY needs to be addressed. A sane person does not kill 20 innocent children. Children who have their whole lives ahead of them, children who have done nothing wrong. Children who went to school to build Gingerbread Houses and read Christmas/Hannukah stories.

I'm in shock. I can't believe this.

For all of you that are screaming more strict gun control laws, what exactly would you like to see put in place?
You are screaming gun control this, gun control that but aren't offering any soulutions.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, and I know that not all the specifics of this massacre (can't believe I'm saying that) have been released. However,  I will go out on a limb and say I don't believe this is JUST a GUN CONTROL issue. This is a Mental Health issue that SERIOUSLY needs to be addressed. A sane person does not kill 20 innocent children. Children who have their whole lives ahead of them, children who have done nothing wrong. Children who went to school to build Gingerbread Houses and read Christmas/Hannukah stories.

I would say that at some point something needs to awaken us out of our stupor about guns.. If it's not this, we really are a society that couldn't give a damn about others.

But I agree that gun control isn't the only thing that needs to be addressed, as mental health does as well..

I'm tired of hearing grown *** adults punting conversations to the next tragedy, and then again punting it to the next tragedy and so on.

Back
Top Bottom