Engagement ring experts?

Originally Posted by eeibaby

Everyone gets to an age where they're going to have to settle down, especially if its good for the family

i feel u
pimp.gif

It was only time til someone asked
laugh.gif

Thanks a lot to everyone, if anyone has any suggestions let me know

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

first off OP...

CONGRATULATIONS. I'm sure whatever you get, your girl will love it.

I was in a similar situation as Nawth and Damnthosejs myself. The wifeand I had discussed getting married in depth, so she knew it wascoming. That being said, I still wanted to keep the actual ringpurchase and engagement a secret so I employed the help of her bestfriend. If you are cool with her friends, hit one of em up and ask themto do some detective work for you. My wife's bestfriend was able toclue me in on exactly what my wife wanted (ended up being a simpleTiffany's setting solitaire).

As far as purchasing, look online and do a bit of research. It's goingto be a pain, but the more you know the better informed you will bewhen you go to plunk down that cash. There is more to keep in mind thanjust the 4 C's. The most difficult one to understand (and quitehonestly, I still dont have a great understanding of it either) is thecut. If you go with a certified stone, keep in mind that not all stonesof a certain cut grade are equal. You're going to want to learn aboutoptimal cut angles and dimensions which can greatly affect thebrilliance of the stone. With your budget, it may be pretty difficultto get a certified high quality stone but do some comparison shoppingand see what you can get. I would steer clear of the chain stores ormall stores if at all possible. If you live in a major metropolitancity that has a wholesale jewelry district, that would be a good placeto start. I live in LA and worked with a couple of different dealers inthe downtown Jewelry district to get the best possible price I could. Istill got bent over and paid a premium (bought at possibly the worsttime) but its still gonna be cheaper than going to the mall.
Thanks man, Philly definitely has a bunch of wholesale jewelry districts.

As for the friend thing I just asked, hopefully everything works out

first off OP...

CONGRATULATIONS. I'm sure whatever you get, your girl will love it.

I was in a similar situation as Nawth and Damnthosejs myself. The wife and I had discussed getting married in depth, so she knew it was coming. That being said, I still wanted to keep the actual ring purchase and engagement a secret so I employed the help of her best friend. If you are cool with her friends, hit one of em up and ask them to do some detective work for you. My wife's bestfriend was able to clue me in on exactly what my wife wanted (ended up being a simple Tiffany's setting solitaire).

As far as purchasing, look online and do a bit of research. It's going to be a pain, but the more you know the better informed you will be when you go to plunk down that cash. There is more to keep in mind than just the 4 C's. The most difficult one to understand (and quite honestly, I still dont have a great understanding of it either) is the cut. If you go with a certified stone, keep in mind that not all stones of a certain cut grade are equal. You're going to want to learn about optimal cut angles and dimensions which can greatly affect the brilliance of the stone. With your budget, it may be pretty difficult to get a certified high quality stone but do some comparison shopping and see what you can get. I would steer clear of the chain stores or mall stores if at all possible. If you live in a major metropolitan city that has a wholesale jewelry district, that would be a good place to start. I live in LA and worked with a couple of different dealers in the downtown Jewelry district to get the best possible price I could. I still got bent over and paid a premium (bought at possibly the worst time) but its still gonna be cheaper than going to the mall.

Ima go all out , i know it aint about the money but this girl changed my life its the least i can do.

you want to put the bulk of the money in the center stone...smaller diamonds on the band are worthless in comparison

w/ the budget you're working w/ your best be would be a solitaire

don't bother w/ department stores or chain stores such as kay's, zale's, etc.

you can get a better value for your money at an independent jewelry store...shop around

plus, the initial price they offer at independent jewelry stores is basically the starting point for negotiation

like others suggested do research...there's really a lot to learn

there's a lot of factors that determine the value of a diamond...it's a bit more complex than just the 4 C's but the most important C is the cut of a diamond

here's my wifes engagement ring...

16j379y.jpg

Some real advice here for you. Six-prong head with euro shank (flat on bottom, so it doesn't twist on her hand). Solitaire round cut stone. Moissanite stone. Moissanite is 1 molecule away from being a diamond. (silicon-carbide, I think). It tests as a diamond under the Mohs scale (hardness). Only a GIA gemologist with a 10x microscope will know the difference. It's not cheap (like CZ based imitations), but it will last forever. Also, no concern over blood diamond.

If you absolutely must get a diamond, make sure you buy it from a legit place (because it is VERY difficult to identify fakes). I strongly suggest Moissanite. She'll love it and won't feel funny walking around with a .25 ct ice chip.

Wikipedia on moissanite: Here.

653px-MoissaniteRoundJewel.jpg

Round%20Ring%203.25%20ct%206-prong%203mm-15.JPG

As someone who put down a down payment YESTERDAY............I suggest you find the closest Jewelry Exchange in your area, they dont work on commission so they are as genuine as you can get when it comes to someone selling you diamonds, they work with your budget and you can always upgrade the stone with up to 80 % of your previous stone used as collateral for the next one......hope any of this helps... good luck

^hey nothing wrong with  buy ing a ring for under 1K...i was going to get my ex an e ring for $800...

just look around for something youd be happy buying her until you can buy the 2nd one....I know your trying to just get your foot into the doorstep and proposing to her...id say keep the ring simple and clean. Worry later bout what rock you really want her wearing.

If you've been with your girl for 5yrs she knows the financial situation. Marriage isn't about the biggest ring, I know you love her so you want to give her what you think she deserves, but the act and the thought behind it is what matters. Just get something from the heart man. If you really wanna know, google engagement rings, there is a formula, like you are supposed to spend 15% of your yearly salary or something like that on the ring.

Originally Posted by ToLiveandDieinNJ

If you've been with your girl for 5yrs she knows the financial situation. Marriage isn't about the biggest ring, I know you love her so you want to give her what you think she deserves, but the act and the thought behind it is what matters. Just get something from the heart man. If you really wanna know, google engagement rings, there is a formula, like you are supposed to spend 15% of your yearly salary or something like that on the ring.

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely do that

Back
Top Bottom