Engineering Majors?

For internships/co-ops in ME, should I just call a bunch of companies that have a bunch of mechanical engeineers and see if they got anything available?

graduated with a Masters in Mech Engineering in 2001, been working ever since.

great career choice, but a masters is necessary these days.

damn i wish i went with ME, although i'm still doing the general lower division engineering stuff right now, WHICH is pretty much the same requirements for ME i believe.

Is ME that much more difficult than CE???

Any CS/Computer Engineering majors here? I'm looking into both, some advice would be great. 

Originally Posted by jhobson5

pookieman wrote:

JFMartiMcDandruff wrote:

whats the difference between mechanical and civil?

Civil you are dealing with infrastructure, mechanical you are dealing with the moving equipment inside and around this infrastructure. Mechanical is a very broad field tho....I work in HVAC sales....

This is a poor explanation, but there is so much more to go into about the subject.  If you are deciding on the two...you have to look at a number of factors....

I think this is the best explanation for the difference between the two. But since Mechanical is so broad you can pretty much do anything. I have a friend who was an ME and now works a civil job. In my opinion I would say ME is the versatile engineering degree you can get.

And to those taking the FE exam, please please dont out think yourself and study way too much. I took the test and didnt really study at all, I looked back on some math and Chem a week before it and passed. Dont stress it. After you take it you feel like you failed for sure, but you have to remember its a pass/fail test based on the average score of everyone who took it. So dont worry and just take it. Plus the second part of the test my Professor said is design to make you freak out, but the first half of the test isnt too bad. Just use your formula book because most of the answers are actually in the book some where.

I just finished up in Civil a month ago and work at a small construction/civil firm and I honestly think ME is thee toughest engineering major. I know I know...Aerospace is difficult, but I have a ton of respect for ME's. With that said, the sum of all forces is the easy part. It gets fun when it's F=MA.
laugh.gif

As far the FE, I think I'll start studying soon...about an hour each day until April. I want to have no doubt that'll pass that test. If you're in school and reading this now, get those credentials as soon as you're ready. It'll be HUGE when negotiating your starting salary.

all engineering majors are difficult, it's a tough but rewarding path to take.  I think mechanical and elctrical are the hardest, upper-upper level courses are pure math.

i passed the FE, known as the EIT many moons ago.  my advice?  study your ME subjects and basic math concepts.  Fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and basic math comprise a good portion of the test.

Originally Posted by mp3911

Any CS/Computer Engineering majors here? I'm looking into both, some advice would be great. 

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Not interested in majoring in either, but I definitely want to have some of the skills just in case for later on.

Originally Posted by AG 47

pookieman wrote:

Civil you are dealing with infrastructure, mechanical you are dealing with the moving equipment inside and around this infrastructure. Mechanical is a very broad field tho....I work in HVAC sales....

This is a poor explanation, but there is so much more to go into about the subject.  If you are deciding on the two...you have to look at a number of factors....
I think this is the best explanation for the difference between the two. But since Mechanical is so broad you can pretty much do anything. I have a friend who was an ME and now works a civil job. In my opinion I would say ME is the versatile engineering degree you can get.

And to those taking the FE exam, please please dont out think yourself and study way too much. I took the test and didnt really study at all, I looked back on some math and Chem a week before it and passed. Dont stress it. After you take it you feel like you failed for sure, but you have to remember its a pass/fail test based on the average score of everyone who took it. So dont worry and just take it. Plus the second part of the test my Professor said is design to make you freak out, but the first half of the test isnt too bad. Just use your formula book because most of the answers are actually in the book some where.

I just finished up in Civil a month ago and work at a small construction/civil firm and I honestly think ME is thee toughest engineering major. I know I know...Aerospace is difficult, but I have a ton of respect for ME's. With that said, the sum of all forces is the easy part. It gets fun when it's F=MA.
laugh.gif

As far the FE, I think I'll start studying soon...about an hour each day until April. I want to have no doubt that'll pass that test. If you're in school and reading this now, get those credentials as soon as you're ready. It'll be HUGE when negotiating your starting salary.
Whered you study Civil? What type of responsibilities does your job have and what kind can you get with a job in Mechanical engineering? Also, what are some ways to get some internships/ co-ops cus im in middle of 2nd year and trying to get some. 

any employed engineering majors around? i just came off a strong 1st round interview and was wondering what would a 2nd round interview consist of? or is this something that can vary depending on the company?

i normally assumed after 1 interview things can generally be good to go...mine was 3 hrs long anyways.

any help is appreciated
nerd.gif

^^ i'm thankfully employed as a mechanical engineer.  Most companies I know don't have 2nd round interviews, especially after a 3 hr 1st round. 

wait awhile, maybe a week, send a thank you letter in.  thats always a nice touch.

ite thnx bro. sent in a thank u letter. i was told at the end of the interview that id be notified within a week or so for possible second round interview. idk anyone who had multiple interviews either...im just confused at what the second one could entail.

phone interview was 1st and it went well...hence why it led to 1st in person interview.

1st interview was strong. went very well and i learned a lot. collectively idk what else they'd want to kno about me lol. it'd be nice to know that if i get a call up for round 2 thats more or less an indication they want me.

anyways i want a job so bad i dont mind a round 2.

If someone has enough time, I would like to ask them a few questions about their experience being/becoming an engineer.

I have a presentation due at the end of the semester.

Whered you study Civil? What type of responsibilities does your job have and what kind can you get with a job in Mechanical engineering? Also, what are some ways to get some internships/ co-ops cus im in middle of 2nd year and trying to get some.

I just saw this. Forgive the late response, but I graduated from Cal Poly Pomona as a Civil Eng. I'm actually at work right now with a civil design/construction management firm in Anaheim. My official title is Design Engineer, but since this firm is so small, I wear many different hats. I spend most of my days working on proposals (responses to City's for work...it's how firms get paid) until we obtain a job and then time is spent designing. In our case, we specialize in roadway design, but we've done some structural and water projects so we're looking to continue to diversify our work load. As I gain experience, I'll start being a Project Manager in addition to doing design work.

Everyone in here should check out indeed.com/bcwaterjobs (just google it) if you haven't already. But I will say those sites have fierce competition from many people in similar situations as yourself so the IDEAL strategy is to get involved with club organizations on campus. ASME would be a perfect start for you as a 2nd year. For me, it was a ASCE Younger Member Dinner/Job Fair where I met the company I'm with now. Gave them my resume and chatted with someone from the company. Received an email 7-9 months later asking if I was interested in a position. Also, make it a point to stop by your college's career center periodically through the month. There's people there who not only point you in the right direction for jobs, but also have good general info. Lastly, stay persistent. Apply, apply, apply. You need that experience, but it won't come easy.

As far the jobs you can get with mechanical engineering, you can do much with a ME degree. I have several ME buddies and one of which is a Mechanical Associate with Union Pacific. He actually doesn't do much engineering, in fact...his position entails more managing from what I understand. He makes great money and he's pretty damn happy. Another friend interned a couple years back in a Product/Brand design making $27/hr. He would design things such as the back of an Iphone case (you wouldn't believe how complicated that is btw). Of course, you can also qualify for more intense positions such as designing engines for cars or even airplanes. It's another great field to be in imo, but once again, it will not come easy.

I'm a second year BME student. Engineering physics and organic chemistry are definitely no joke. Multivariable calculus too
sick.gif
i pulled so many all-nighters already.
30t6p3b.gif
dedication and solid priorities are definitely the trick.

JUST LEFT MY BOSS'S OFFICE FOR MY YEARLY REVIEW AND I JUST GOT A 6% RAISE! NOT TO MENTION WE GET OUR 10% BONUS CHECKS IN 2 WEEKS.

ENGINEERING PAYS.

FEELS JOHN GOODMAN
pimp.gif

pookieman wrote:
Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

I'll keep this in mind for the April test...

4 years away from graduation

feels batman

starting calculus 2, eng. physics, stats, and chem 1
next semester

anybody know of any internships around the DC/VA area?
i'm a senior in ME going the 5 year route and its been rough finding one with my lack of experience 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by mp3911

i was majoring in CS but i realized i had absolutely no interest in it. so im going to major in something like business or economics.

For CS theres lots of problems solving and analyzing.

Originally Posted by pookieman

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Mechanical being very broad makes me wanna switch, but I don't know if it's "harder" than Civil, i'm barely hanging on right now

Finally choose my major going with civil! Sticking to it and giving it my all...I know with engineering it's alot of math lucky for me I've always found this subject interesting. Wish me luck fam

Cons- no girls unless you decide to major in EngSci, Civil or Chem

Advice actually learn the !%+* as you go through it as the next year's !%+* is going to build on it. It makes uni alot more enjoyable, rather than struggling on everything.

Back
Top Bottom