Engineering Majors?

anyone working as an engineer in the construction industry (MEP) ?

im 7months in at my firm and its ok, but its def not what i wanna work in the rest of my life. i can care less about building construction...was wondering if its hard to change industries, leaving MEP and going into something more technical? i don't want to be tainted, where the only job i can get would be MEP work...looking to make moves next summer/fall..

Starting Petroleum Engineering at either University of Houston or Texas A&M. Will be my second bachelors degree. It is the highest paying engineering degree right out of school and the summer internships pay big $$$ too. ExonnMobil is opening a huge 390 acre campus less than 10 minutes away from my house and I will be working there. My plans are to combine the skills I learned with my geospatial degree with Petro Engineering and start my own business as a subcontractor to the bigger oil companies. I'm going for that oil money.

I assume, by your avy, that you're at TA&M?

How's the major.

well...I'm undecided freshman right now at UofL. in high school I loved math, but never had to do much in trigonometry. I get to college and I'm basically failing my trigg class. Should i just stop here since i believe this is one of the easier math classes? or try pre cal next semester since that's what my teacher recommended? 

well...I'm undecided freshman right now at UofL. in high school I loved math, but never had to do much in trigonometry. I get to college and I'm basically failing my trigg class. Should i just stop here since i believe this is one of the easier math classes? or try pre cal next semester since that's what my teacher recommended? 
No offense but for engineering you're going to at LEAST need two calc classes. 

yeah im aware. They say i can take them my 2nd year of college.

Imo Trig isn't that essential for engineering...I would try Pre-Calc first though because thats at least some basic foundation for Calc 1, but you're gonna need Calc 1/2/3 and Differentia Eqns, Linear Algebra most likely in your engineering program (that's what we had to take at least) but some of my friends who are EE's did terribly in geometry and trig in HS and they're doing fine with more advanced math classes

How did you guys decide which engineering field is right for you?

I'm a CS student and thinking about pursuing an EE degree because I found most of the concepts from electromagnetism to be intuitive and electronics fascinate me. 

I am a struggling Electrical Engineer Major at UTSA, 6th year senior!

very very difficult major, I thought I was good in math until I came to college, my GPA is horrible, but I will finish by any means...

Advice to younger guys: Really learn the math, don't try and get by, study and seriously understand the Calculus. If you do well in Cal 2, then the rest shouldn't be too hard.

Circuit Analysis is the toughest thing about my major, and the Laplace and Fourier Transforms

Imo Trig isn't that essential for engineering...I would try Pre-Calc first though because thats at least some basic foundation for Calc 1, but you're gonna need Calc 1/2/3 and Differentia Eqns, Linear Algebra most likely in your engineering program (that's what we had to take at least) but some of my friends who are EE's did terribly in geometry and trig in HS and they're doing fine with more advanced math classes
I disagree, trig is pretty damn important in engineering lol

there's just certain things you'll be expected to know and the teacher isn't gonna stop and explain it to you. I'm a Mech E, and I'd say that pretty much everyone coming in as a freshman knew trig concepts like the back of their hand. basic stuff like SOHCAHTOA, trig identities, etc you have to know that like 1+1=2

I am a struggling Electrical Engineer Major at UTSA, 6th year senior!

very very difficult major, I thought I was good in math until I came to college, my GPA is horrible, but I will finish by any means...

Advice to younger guys: Really learn the math, don't try and get by, study and seriously understand the Calculus. If you do well in Cal 2, then the rest shouldn't be too hard.

Circuit Analysis is the toughest thing about my major, and the Laplace and Fourier Transforms

da truth. but you generally don't have to do the full laplace and fourier transforms, there's a table that helps you save time for that. on the other hand there really isn't an easy way to go about engineering. keep doing examples and try your best to keep afloat.

thinking about going back to school for engineering....leaning towards electrical 

Was a math major for my first 2.5 years before switching to Civil Engineering (was playing college soccer so it was easier to maintain eligibility as a math major). Math was good up until i got to proofs, theorems, and the history of math. Then it just got boring to me. A lot of my latino compadres in my calc classes were engineers so i started taking engineering classes as my math electives and decided to make the switch. 3 years later in December 2010 i graduated with my BS. 

State employed now doing compliance and enforcement on wastewater treatment plants and collection systems over 6 counties. It's a mix of office and field work as i go out on inspections of facilities and collections systems 2 - 3 times a month. Great pay (getting a raise soon from my yearly review), flexible schedule, and great benefits. People always hate on the public side but i love it. I get in, put in my 8 hrs, and bounce. None of this work until your deliverables are done or working for free when bidding for projects. There are pros and cons to the public and private sides but it comes down to what you prefer.

A few tips for the youngsters:

1. Don't slack off in your lower division courses. Take the time and put in work to learn the material. It will make your upper division MUCH easier if you know the material from the get go. I wish i would have payed attention more in the beginning 
ohwell.gif

2. Join engineering clubs. They are the best way to network with classmates and the professional industry. They offer lots of help to get internships and work experience. Trust me, employers would rather have people that have some sense of what is going on in the real world. Internships will get you that.

3. Pass the FE (aka EIT) while you're IN school, not after. Most of the subjects are from the lower division courses and it will be somewhat fresh on your mind. Plus, employers like seeing that certificate number on the resume coming out of college.

4. Study with groups if you can. If you don't know something, more than likely someone else will and you can figure it out together.

5. HAVE FUN IN COLLEGE. College is an experience that everyone should take advantage of and enjoy. Do what you do but keep that brain in them books too. It will be tough but once you graduate and you get that first real pay check from your engineering job, it will make all that hard work worth it. 

I disagree, trig is pretty damn important in engineering lol

there's just certain things you'll be expected to know and the teacher isn't gonna stop and explain it to you. I'm a Mech E, and I'd say that pretty much everyone coming in as a freshman knew trig concepts like the back of their hand. basic stuff like SOHCAHTOA, trig identities, etc you have to know that like 1+1=2

Haha no you're right I mean basic stuff like SOH-CAH-TOA is important but the overall class I wouldn't say is the be all end all....i'm different though b/c I'm a bioengineer so I've only had one statics-mechanics class. I was more so saying its not really a good gauge for whether or not you'll do well in advanced math classes (Calc 2,3, Linear Alg, Diff Eq)...you need to know the basics from trig and some trig identities (you can get that down with practice on your own) but the entire class isn't a good indicator of how you'll do in calc or anything. My friend who went to HS with me barely passed Trig. and now at school he did really well in Calc 1-3, I was even asking him for help a couple yrs ago :lol:

But like everyone says doing the work is the most important thing, practice practice practice outside of class, and do it EARLY. A little bit every day definitely helps more so than cramming and looking at solutions and thinking you could do that on your own a couple days before the test

Was a math major for my first 2.5 years before switching to Civil Engineering (was playing college soccer so it was easier to maintain eligibility as a math major). Math was good up until i got to proofs, theorems, and the history of math. Then it just got boring to me. A lot of my latino compadres in my calc classes were engineers so i started taking engineering classes as my math electives and decided to make the switch. 3 years later in December 2010 i graduated with my BS. 

State employed now doing compliance and enforcement on wastewater treatment plants and collection systems over 6 counties. It's a mix of office and field work as i go out on inspections of facilities and collections systems 2 - 3 times a month. Great pay (getting a raise soon from my yearly review), flexible schedule, and great benefits. People always hate on the public side but i love it. I get in, put in my 8 hrs, and bounce. None of this work until your deliverables are done or working for free when bidding for projects. There are pros and cons to the public and private sides but it comes down to what you prefer.

A few tips for the youngsters:

1. Don't slack off in your lower division courses. Take the time and put in work to learn the material. It will make your upper division MUCH easier if you know the material from the get go. I wish i would have payed attention more in the beginning :\

2. Join engineering clubs. They are the best way to network with classmates and the professional industry. They offer lots of help to get internships and work experience. Trust me, employers would rather have people that have some sense of what is going on in the real world. Internships will get you that.

3. Pass the FE (aka EIT) while you're IN school, not after. Most of the subjects are from the lower division courses and it will be somewhat fresh on your mind. Plus, employers like seeing that certificate number on the resume coming out of college.

4. Study with groups if you can. If you don't know something, more than likely someone else will and you can figure it out together.

5. HAVE FUN IN COLLEGE. College is an experience that everyone should take advantage of and enjoy. Do what you do but keep that brain in them books too. It will be tough but once you graduate and you get that first real pay check from your engineering job, it will make all that hard work worth it. 

im 50/50 on 3 but i STRONGLY cosign the rest. getting above a 3 with an engineering degree is hard. but if u do, it makes life SOO much easier to get a job. TRUST ME. not to say its impossible, i was a final candidate for a particle accelerator job and im well below a 3. do well and enjoy college life, cuz afterwards, you'll be missing all of it (not school, the social aspect).

the FE looks nice, but most fields will prefer a masters. MEP engineering industry is one industry where the FE truly shines. Im just speaking based of my long exp of job hunting and that im working in MEP now..

Currently a double major Engineering major. Mechanical and Nuclear. I started off as Mechanical and added the nuclear option last semester. I did this not because I thought Mechanical was easy, but I felt like I had the potential to do so much better. A lot of times, getting that extra degree doesn't compound your workload each semester. It just increases the time your in school (4 years vs 4.5 years)

I highly suggest looking into a double major. Mechanical and Nuclear are the most common. I know Bio and Mech are also offered as well. A lot of times, the extra degree requires ~20 more credits or another semester, depending on how you arrange your academic plan. To me, the Nuclear degree is very worth it. I plan to use my Mech E degree (I want to be in the automotive industry) and use the Nuc E degree as my "backup", because you are pretty much 99% guarenteed a job outta school with a Nuclear degree, especially now.

Some advice I can give

1)Time management. Go hard with your studies during the week. Study during the day during the weekends and you'll be gravy. I still am able to go out and drink/party Thursday, Friday, and Saturdays every week. Except when I have an exam on a Monday the next week, then I usually stay in.

2)Pay attention in class. Turn off the phone or leave it at home. I'm still trying to figure this one out. I can't sit in front of a dude and listen to him talk for an hour. I do a bulk of my learning on my own and I KNOW that this is going to bite me in the *** sooner rather than later.

3)Sleep. Everything revolves around sleep. If you don't get enough sleep the night before, you'll be groggy the day after. You won't be able to focus in calss which requires more time outside of class. You'll end up taking a nap or drinking coffee and then taking a nap when you crash, further wasting more time. Get a solid 7 or 8 hours a night, and you'll be straight. College students know the importance of sleep but they don't understand that it is ESSENTIAL to success

4)And the most important piece of advice I can give you is push yourself to your limits both mentally and physically. If it seems that you can do more, pick up another major or even a minor. Fulfill your potential. You're paying a ton of money so you might as well get as much possible out of it.

Also, have fun, You will not survive if you do not allocate a couple hours every week to relax and have fun. You will get burned out, you will lose motivation and your grades WILL suffer. I can guarentee that. If anybody has any questions, feel free to PM me. I'm still in school as well but I can safely say I've figured out a good "technique" to it all

at 5:49 AM felt like coming back to this thread to cap off my procrastination.

this semester is gonna be rough.

Currently a double major Engineering major. Mechanical and Nuclear. I started off as Mechanical and added the nuclear option last semester. I did this not because I thought Mechanical was easy, but I felt like I had the potential to do so much better. A lot of times, getting that extra degree doesn't compound your workload each semester. It just increases the time your in school (4 years vs 4.5 years)

I highly suggest looking into a double major. Mechanical and Nuclear are the most common. I know Bio and Mech are also offered as well. A lot of times, the extra degree requires ~20 more credits or another semester, depending on how you arrange your academic plan. To me, the Nuclear degree is very worth it. I plan to use my Mech E degree (I want to be in the automotive industry) and use the Nuc E degree as my "backup", because you are pretty much 99% guarenteed a job outta school with a Nuclear degree, especially now.

Some advice I can give

1)Time management. Go hard with your studies during the week. Study during the day during the weekends and you'll be gravy. I still am able to go out and drink/party Thursday, Friday, and Saturdays every week. Except when I have an exam on a Monday the next week, then I usually stay in.

2)Pay attention in class. Turn off the phone or leave it at home. I'm still trying to figure this one out. I can't sit in front of a dude and listen to him talk for an hour. I do a bulk of my learning on my own and I KNOW that this is going to bite me in the *** sooner rather than later.

3)Sleep. Everything revolves around sleep. If you don't get enough sleep the night before, you'll be groggy the day after. You won't be able to focus in calss which requires more time outside of class. You'll end up taking a nap or drinking coffee and then taking a nap when you crash, further wasting more time. Get a solid 7 or 8 hours a night, and you'll be straight. College students know the importance of sleep but they don't understand that it is ESSENTIAL to success

4)And the most important piece of advice I can give you is push yourself to your limits both mentally and physically. If it seems that you can do more, pick up another major or even a minor. Fulfill your potential. You're paying a ton of money so you might as well get as much possible out of it.

Also, have fun, You will not survive if you do not allocate a couple hours every week to relax and have fun. You will get burned out, you will lose motivation and your grades WILL suffer. I can guarentee that. If anybody has any questions, feel free to PM me. I'm still in school as well but I can safely say I've figured out a good "technique" to it all

Re-quote. Very smart. This man has figured it out :D

Physics 2 is a killer! i want to bump this page because it helped me get thru my first year kind of as far as tips. i have one more year left in my CC to get my  engineering AS.

Anyone knows good SUNY schools for eng from personal expierence and as far as criteria

Physics 2 is a killer! i want to bump this page because it helped me get thru my first year kind of as far as tips. i have one more year left in my CC to get my  engineering AS.

Anyone knows good SUNY schools for eng from personal expierence and as far as criteria

University of Miami, that's my number 1 option to transfer to as of now, I'm thinking of making a new thread, then putting all the good advice on the first page.

Chemistry :stoneface:

Son, the Physics series was by far the worst of any classes I have taken so far at college :x

E & M, Waves, Einstein's Law of Relativity :x :x :x

As for me though I'm currently going into Industrial Engineering. I would say my best advice is to stay motivated. You may get bad grades here and there but do not let that deter you from wanting to become an engineer. The classes are meant to be hard, everyone is going to struggle a little.

Back
Top Bottom