Epic REACT Mods and Carbon Fiber experiments

What type of carbon fiber inserts would you prefer?

• I feel the need for speed... I'm only gonna use them for races, so who cares if they hurt a little

• I'm all for compromise - give me as much additional speed as you can with all day wearability

• Give me Cloud 9 - I want the float on clouds feeling all the time, who cares about my time

• Size 9

• Size 9.5

• Size 10

• Size 10.5

• Size 11

Results are only viewable after voting.
Update on my NbY VFN2 Flyknits.

Rumor has it, Kipchoge complained that Flyknit uppers absorbed sweat and became heavier during runs. So Nike started coating the Flyknit with a rubber like coating that still let it behave like a knit sweater or sock, but repelled water.

My NbY VFN2s have this rubber-like coating. It works, in that it repells water. However, it seems to electrostatically attract dust. Half of my morning run loop is in gravel and the rubberized flyknit really collects and holds on to the dust. Yes all my running shoes get dusty, but this black flyknit really holds on to it.

Screen-Shot-2022-10-29-at-6-46-50-PM.png

I tend to drag my right heel when I return my foot from back to front in the running gait. All my running shoes have a flat section worn on the right rear lateral side of outsole. My VFN2 outsoles also started wearing down in this area, and eventually the lateral side rubber strip peeled back. I have since just peeled off this portion of the strip and all is good again. I don't even feel this missing portion. I'm now waiting for the left shoe to do the same, eventually.

Screen-Shot-2022-10-29-at-6-49-47-PM.png

Another update on my Flyknit VF Next%2...

Heel wear has taken its toll. Again, this is not from heel striking or my gait, as it is from when I return my foot from back to front, the heel drags a bit as my foot relaxes. I can force myself to raise my knee higher and prevent this drag, but then that muscles gets very tired over a marathon session.

I also run on sharp jagged gravel, and the points of the largest rocks have destroyed the ZoomX in the forefoot landing pad, as the rubber is not thick enough to protect it. This is not too big a deal as the carbon plate is very near the rubber in this area and the foam in this area does nothing for energy return anyway, so it does not impact the shoe performance.

The custom Flyknit upper is in perfect condition still. Their rubber coating really grabs the dust.

I have over 1000km in this shoe as it is the only shoe I have wore for training and races since getting it. Now I will retire it and only use it for race day, as no other shoe available today comes close to it. Unfortunately you cannot custom order these anymore.

IMG-1812.jpg

I got a pair of ASICS Superblasts to try for daily trainer use. After the first few runs, I noticed they have overdone the "stability" features, as the huge wings to prevent under pronation forces my foot to overpronate. Of course there is also a huge wing to prevent overpronation. So my ankles hurt a bit as there is an ankle snap formed when the first wing hits and then the second wing prevents the first wing's action.

IMG-1815.jpg

Of course I am not afraid of modifying my shoes, so I have cut back the under pronation wing on the shoes and will see if this helps. I will do the cutting in steps. If this feels better I might trim more, or I might try cutting the over pronation wing as well. I will do a few runs in them and then decide. I will say this is the only nonplated shoe that has the "pop" of a plated shoe, and my running economy is close to that of my VF N%2's, but still not as good, and a lot more work to keep proper running form. But a good daily trainer.

IMG-1818.jpg

So what about the Nike Vaporfly 3? Well, if you want proof Nike let go their best shoe engineers during covid, that shoe is proof. They had unequalled performance in the VFNext%1 and 2. Now the VF3 can't match the Next%2 and other super shoes are beating it, and many pros still prefer the previous iteration.

Where did they mess up? They removed the ZoomX foam in the most important part of the midsole. So you can see the carbon fiber plate and branding. They are basically copying Saucony's "peekaboo" hole in midsole foam to see the plate. I'm not against holes in the outsole and midsole, down to the plate, as the Alphafly has it too. But the Alphafly put it in the correct location, and the VF3 did not.

Screenshot-2023-08-04-at-9-20-42-AM.png

Today was a bike day (50km) so I did a quick 1 mile run at sunset to test out the Superblast modifications. Trimming the outside wing really changed the character of the shoe. I don't think I need to trim more, and I will not trim the inside wing as I now need it to prevent overpronation. I was surprised to see the shoe is now less rigid and bends in the forefoot. I guess it was the outside wing making the shoe not bend much.

The bend point is too far forward, so I might cut some relief grooves in the outsole to help it bend closer to the proper point of the foot. But overall I like the shoe much better now.

Back
Top Bottom