EURO TRIP 2013 NEED HELP/INFO

Sup NT fam!

Planning on a Euro trip with my girl early June, i need some help.  She has fam in London, probably gonna stay in England for at least a week.  I need help with things to do, things to see.  I've never been anywhere in Europe.  Help me add to my lists.  If you could only do 1 or 2 cities in every major country which would it be?  Only thing definite is london for now

Things i def gotta do:

Liverpool match

Cities and countries we wanna go:

Madrid, Spain Barca? maybe

Rome, Italy

Athens, Greece

Paris, France

Looking at flights out to LON from las vegas, it looks like $1550.  is this the usual price?

How much is travel between the mainland Europe? Do we do railways or fly?

Any help would be appreciated.

And a thanks again to the NTers from Norcal helping me out with our other trip.

I couldn't do a couples eurotrip unless I was married.
How long are you staying and what's your all around budget? What are your interests, history, architecture, partying?

Kayak.com, student universe.com are what I use for flights. In Europe, ryanair, easy jet are the absolute cheapest, but if you don't pack lite for each flight a 20kg bag is 40 euros

I travel on the cheap, and without planning really so I utilize youth hostels and buses in most countries, it all depends on your budget.

Spain- Madrid and Barcelona obviously, but there are probably 10 other cities I prefer over those; Sevilla, Granada, cordoba, San Sebastien etc..
France- Paris and maybe south of France, nice, cannes, Monaco..
Italy- Rome of course, but the Tuscany region is amazing, and up near Venice. Italy has a few coastal cities to check out

I would skip Athens for another time, and go to Istanbul instead if you are looking for another major city.

I left quite a bit out, because you didn't give too much details in your original post. But lonelyplanet forums has a wealth of information.

Budget is about 8-10k for the both of us.

probably only 2 weeks, 5-6 days in London, so not much room for other cities.  I need the most spectacular first time must see cities

Last edited:
P4L

Wifey and I want to head to Spain April/May and some info here can come in handy.

I checked out studentuniverse . com, i like the multi-city thing. playing with it now, got to see flights for as low as $805!

Budget is about 8-10k for the both of us.

probably only 2 weeks, 5-6 days in London, so not much room for other cities.  I need the most spectacular first time must see cities

5-6 days in London you could burn through quite a bit of cash alone.. And honestly you could spend all 2 weeks there and barebly scratch the surface.

London tho, you have a plethora of free musuems and Paris is a two hr train ride away.. In Paris if you are a student under 26 all museums are free.

From Paris you could fly into Rome, Venice or Florence and spend 2 nights in each.

You might want to look into a eurorail pass for 2 countries, France + Italy or France + Spain. You could save a bit and it's a little less hassle than catching multiple flights..

I wish I had 8-10k I could live in eastern Europe for over a year on that alone..

look into Palermo, Sicily, and Lisbon Portugal. great people great cultures great weather. 

whats your taste as far as lodging like? check airbnb.com for some great rates in great locations around cities. people rent out extra rooms or even full apartments for the low. your budget allows for some really decent lodging so your could splurge. 

Last edited:
how early do we book flight? Trains? Hostels? Hotels?

plan on going mid June

UPDATE:

-purchased one way tickets to Europe with credit card points.

-purchasing return tickets from Student Universe saved us a total of $960 (one-way)

-Greek co-worker states the best part of my trip will be Greece.

If anyone has any info on the following cities, I'd appreciate it.

Athens

Santorini

Dublin

Liverpool

London

Amsterdam

Some questions for those well-traveled NTers

-Can we use/swipe our visa debit/credit cards?

-How do you get in contact with your European contacts? (No international data usage)

-To those who've visited multiple cities on a single trip, how many days did you spend on each city?

^ hahahaha of course the greek kid is gonna say greece is the best. its like the north korean kid saying north korea is best korea of them all (kidding... kinda).

Baise tonCanape already dropped a ton of good info. You should be able to get a good start just from the resources he listed.

With only 2 weeks, I personally wouldnt try to do too many spots unless you prefer that type of go-go vacation. I did 2 weeks in europe for my honeymoon, and in hindsight it was a bit faster paced than I would have liked. I did 1 week in barcelona and then 3 nts Rome, day trip to Venice, 2 nts Florence, 2 nts Cinque Terre. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have just done 3 nts Rome, 4 nts Florence with some daytipping out from each. Since I was visiting a buncha cities in 1 country, I got a Eurail pass and that saved me a buncha money compared to buying individual train or air tickets.

If you are going to hop from spot to spot in Europe via air, definitely look into the european carriers like Baise mentioned. The same flight might cost 2x or 3x if you booked it on a domestic US carrier compared to easyjet.

I didnt have any issues with using my credit cards. If you are concerned about foreign currency fees, get a Chase Sapphire Rewards card (what I used) since they dont charge those fees.

Fortunately I didnt have to deal with trying to get in contact with anyone since it was just me and the wife there. I suppose if you need to, you should be able to find a provider that can rent you a pocket mifi so you can have internet coverage on the go. I have no idea how much those things cost though. I got one when I was in Japan (i know... different continent) and it was an absolute lifesaver. With a pocket mifi/internet access, you should be able to just use your smartphone on wifi mode only and connect with people through FB or email or maybe even Skype.

Is studentuniverse legit? Going on a study abroad trip in May and know some of the people in the trip copped their plane tix from their.

If you have a smartphone whatsapp is a good IM App to have, a lot of people in Europe use it as well. All you need is wifi if data isn't available.

Liverpool tickets should be fairly easy to come by :tongue:

With that said, your options really depend on your budget but just know that most of the cities you listed are pretty much the default cities American tourists target so be prepared to blow money fast.

OP can you post if you find a good deal on travel between cities? I'm going in August for two weeks and that 500 dollar euro rail pass is a little pricey. I'm going to 4 cities if it matters

Is studentuniverse legit? Going on a study abroad trip in May and know some of the people in the trip copped their plane tix from their.
yeah definitely, im faking taking classes just so i can get the discount. Flight back to Vegas from London is $720 as a student, 1200 is the lowest ive seen w/o the student discount

For those who travel internationally often, I have some more questions.

I've only ever been to the Philippines, HK, and Israel.  I know the PI uses 220v for wall outlets and here in US we use 110.  I remember because i blew up my NES tryna play it in the PI.

For these cities, Athens, Dublin, London, Amsterdam, do i just need a converter from our 2 or 3-prong to that international 3-prong, or do I also need a transformer?

Only plan on charging phones, cameras, and tablets.

For those who travel internationally often, I have some more questions.

I've only ever been to the Philippines, HK, and Israel.  I know the PI uses 220v for wall outlets and here in US we use 110.  I remember because i blew up my NES tryna play it in the PI.

For these cities, Athens, Dublin, London, Amsterdam, do i just need a converter from our 2 or 3-prong to that international 3-prong, or do I also need a transformer?

Only plan on charging phones, cameras, and tablets.

When I travel internationally I just take a few of these. I haven't had any problems charging laptops, cameras, phones, etc.

Amazon product ASIN B000ES6KPM

You ain't catching an Arsenal match in June.

I'll be going to the England, Scotland, Belgium, Holland, Germany from June 6th-July 3rd. I'll let you know how it goes 
happy.gif

Currently finishing up Italy and moving onto Switzerland.

Did Rome, Sienna, Florence, Lucca, Chinque Terre and Lake Como. Rome is like Athens to me, gotta do it once then no interest in going back. Loved Florence and would definitely go back. We flew, drove, trained and ferried our way throughout.

Debit/credit cards worked much better in Italy than my experience in Greece. More often than not in Greece we'd get the old "oh our credit card machine is broke." Especially on the Islands.

Converter is fine for simple electronics. No issues with my iPad, iPhone or wife's MacBook charging.

Santorinni is where I honeymooned a couple years back and we loved it. Oia was gorgeous but attracts crowds for sunsets and from the cruise ships that port. We stayed in Immeriovigili (sp?) on Santorinni and enjoyed it much more because it was quieter/private.

Forgot to add on this trip we mixed three air bnb apartments with some hotels. Rome (near the Vatican and close to,S Pietro train), Florence (great apt in San Croce) and Switzerland (tbd). Would definitely use it again.

Also, for those using Uber in the US, they're popping up in Europe. Would have used it in Rome but it wasn't close enough the one time I needed it. Got a 10 € credit though :lol:

Speaking of Uber and whatnot,

did yall bring your iPhone/smartphones out there??? What should I do about my iPhone 5?

We most certainly took our iPhone 5s. Verizon/CDMA versions work globally so we got 100mb of data for $25. It charges you in blocks. Most places have wifi so I stay on airplane w/ wifi most the time.

Google maps was extremely helpful when driving.

We most certainly took our iPhone 5s. Verizon/CDMA versions work globally so we got 100mb of data for $25. It charges you in blocks. Most places have wifi so I stay on airplane w/ wifi most the time.

Google maps was extremely helpful when driving.
I guess I should probably follow my data usage more.... but is 100mb alot? 
laugh.gif
 Unfortunately I have AT&T so my phone is GSM....

I'm not gonna be driving, but since alot of my travels out side of London (while my friends are at work), I'll be solo. Having my iPhone will be HUGE, and I'm not driving and instead will be traveling via Britrail and Eurail so I won't need to worry about directions, but it'd be nice to have the comforts of having my iPhone with me to look stuff up and whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom